Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Brown rice in Jasmine(Thialand), & Basmati variatals?

Started by Bellaon7, November 11, 2009, 08:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellaon7

Are these commen, & how are they labeled? Also, I was informed by a Chinease co-worker that brown rice often has many husks attached to the grains which will play hovac on your digestion.
  •  

LivingInGrey

I use Basmati rice all the time. Jasmine is also good but Basmati is one of my fav's.

Jasmine is better then the standard brown rice but I wouldn't worry about it much unless you are thinking about eating rice every day. One thing to keep in mind is the Asian culture uses rice as a staple of all of their foods (consider Japanese Sake, made from Rice).

For just your once a week meal time side dish I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are going to be eating rice more then 3 times a week I would consider Jasmine or Basmati rice.

Both of them are marketed in English and sold in major food chains (at least in America) in larger cities. If you ask someone at your grocery they should be able to take you right to the spot on the shelf. Dont worry to much about the variatals part for Basmati. Basmati is Basmati and some people try to charge more because they add more words to the name thinking they're fooling people who only think Uncle Ben is the only person that sells rice.

at least that's my take on it.
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •