Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I've recently gotten a new kitten & I've got a question.

Started by Blanche, December 12, 2009, 04:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blanche

Can anybody tell me how to take care of her?  what kind of food shall I feed her? & how about vaccinations?  I know I could ask my local vet but you all seem like an educated bunch that loves kittens, so I thought I'd ask.
  •  

LordKAT

•  

LordKAT

the kitten needs to nurse for the first 6 weeks and in US is illegal to give them away until that age. See a vet and get a bottle and milk for it.
  •  

Kurzar

Goats milk is better than kitten replacement milk, if you can find it at your local grocery store. How did you get a 2wk old kitten?  I sure hope someone wasn't selling and or giving them away at that age :-\  Also wouldn't hurt to pick up a decent book on kitten care.
  •  

Miniar

Take her to the Vet for a checkup, worm cleaning, shots, stuff like that and ask the vet for advice.

When she's old enough kitten specific cat food, check the "amounts" on the bag, and feed her daily accordingly (Keeping a timed food schedule is good for the cat too and will reduce feeding problems when she gets older).

Do not give her cow's milk! (Cats are lactose intolerant!)

And give plenty of play-time and love.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

insanitylives

Quote from: Blanche on December 12, 2009, 04:16:44 AM
She's only 2 weeks old.
!?!?!?!
two weeks?
Do NOT try to feed that poor thing solid food. She's supposed to be nursing right now.
You really need to get to a vet and get a replacement kitty milk for her.

I don't think she can get shots yet. Size&Age... Around 8 weeks I think.

When she's about 10-12 weeks she needs to be fixed. Yeah, cats can be fixed that young now.

I'm just going to warn you, this kitten's not going to be the most healthy thing. Replacement milk/formula doesn't have the same nutrition and antibodies that the mother's milk would. your kitty's at a disadvantage.
  •  

Windrider

At 2 weeks, are the poor thing's eyes even open? If not, you're in for some work and the kitten may not survive. That young, they are still nursing, but also they need the mother to stimulate the kitten into elimination (they usually lick the anal area). My mom had a kitten that young and we weren't able to save it (it's mother had abandoned it or was killed).

If the kitten were a bit older, say 4-6 weeks, then you'd have a good chance at survival. My mom's tom was about that old when my sister rescued him. Little guy fit into the palm of your hand. I was able to feed him milk and kitten food and he was OK. I did have to build steps into a litter box for him though, and show him how to use it. Although after a couple of scraping noises with my fingers and he got the idea. I had litter everywhere  :laugh: Sevy's 14 now.

I'd definitely take the kitten to the vet and follow their recommendations. At 2 weeks, the kitten is not strong enough for vaccinations (they're typically done around 3 months along with neutering). The kitten is going to need a pretty regular feeding schedule at young ages, especially when feeding milk/canned food. Once they are able to eat dry food, their feeding schedule is more flexible. I think I waited until Sevy was about 6 months before introducing dry kitten food. Cats are considered adults at 1 year.

Some general cat hints:

- cats do not like rapid changes in diet/food. If you're switching to another brand, mix it with your old food for a week or two.
- mix canned and dry food. Dry food often does not contain essential oils for good coat health. Stick the unused portion of the can in the fridge until the next feeding. Try to feed 1/2 - 1 can per cat, per day, depending on the cat's age/size and the size of the can. Bailey gets 1 whole can of Fancy Feast per day. She weighs ~10 lbs. I space the feedings out 3x a day.
- litter changes need to be frequent, at least once a week. Scoopable litter is nice, but you still need to change the whole box. Also, some cats do not like certain litter textures. If they don't use the box, try changing the litter type or location of the box.
- use catnip sparingly. It doesn't hurt them, but it does act a bit like a drug. It's called "kitty-crack" for a reason :P
Also be wary of long people hair and feathers. They can get stuck in the cat's digestive system and plug it up. That typically requires surgery to fix.
- changes in the cat's eating/drinking habits usually indicate a problem or illness. Keep an eye on how much your cat eats/drinks. If you notice a change, take it to the vet. I've saved Bailey's life twice now by doing that.

Good luck! I'm hoping you can pull the little guy (or gal) through!

WR
  •  

V M

When I was a kid we had a mother cat get hit by a car shortly after giving birth  :'(

None of the modern vet supplies were available at the time

We had to use eye droppers with baby formula from the market. Later my mom made modified toy baby bottles to feed them

She also put a heating pad on low in the bottom of their box and covered it with a blanket

Then she took a small clock with an audible ticking sound and wrapped it in a rabbit fur to simulate the sound of the mothers heart and the feel of fur

All the kittens survived and later went to nice homes  :)

Hope that helps some - Virginia
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Blanche

Thank you all for the marvelous advice.  Unfortunately my kitten died a few days shortly after I made this post.  She was just too young to survive :(
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Miniar

sorry hun...

How did you end up with a 2 week old kitten anyway?

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Windrider

•  

Janet_Girl

Blanche, I am so sorry to hear that the kitten did not survive.  :( :'(

I know how that can hurt.

Hugs and Love
Janet
  •  

Cadin

Quote from: Blanche on December 12, 2009, 04:15:14 AM
Can anybody tell me how to take care of her?  what kind of food shall I feed her? & how about vaccinations?  I know I could ask my local vet but you all seem like an educated bunch that loves kittens, so I thought I'd ask.

Hi Blanche.  Glad to know that there is a fellow cat person out there. The first thing I did after I found Zoe (or rather should I say, she found me) was to take her to the vet to have her check for feline diseases and worms.  Luckily, she didn't have any feline diseases but she did have worms. 

As far as food went, I fed her Kitten Chow and made sure she had plenty of fresh water.

When it came to vaccinations, the vet started those immediately and, when he did, he always let me know when to come back in order to make sure she got her vaccinations when she was supposed to.  At a certain point of the vaccinations, your kitten will only have to see the vet once a year, unless she becomes sick.

I don't know if you plan on getting your kitten spayed/neutered but if you do the vet will do it about the time your kitten is five or six months old.  If you also plan to have your kitten de-clawed, it is best to do so the same time you have him/her spayed/neutered.

Having your kitten de-clawed is a matter of preference.  I chose to have Zoe de-clawed because she almost scratched my eye out; not purposely, of course.  She also enjoyed climbing the curtains and clawing at the furniture (even though she had a scratching post.) If you decide on de-clawing, the vet will only remove the front claws.

Have fun with your new kitten. Like any other pet, they are expensive, especially when first getting started but, they are well worth the expense.
  •  

Blanche

Thank you everybody.  The poem was very touching, thank you Matilda.

Many thanks for the support, too, Cadin but like I said my kitten died shortly after I made my original post.  I'll make sure to follow your advice if I ever get another kitten.

Quote from: Blanche on December 18, 2009, 02:16:31 PM
Thank you all for the marvelous advice.  Unfortunately my kitten died a few days shortly after I made this post.  She was just too young to survive :(
  •  

Cadin

Quote from: Blanche on January 30, 2010, 01:11:14 PM
Thank you everybody.  The poem was very touching, thank you Matilda.

Many thanks for the support, too, Cadin but like I said my kitten died shortly after I made my original post.  I'll make sure to follow your advice if I ever get another kitten.

Hi Blanche,

Sorry to hear that your kitten died.  What happened? (if you don't me asking)  Don't run out to get another kitten.  Take some time to get over the loss.  You'll know when the time is right to get another kitten.  The right one will find you.
  •