Started by Allamakee, December 30, 2009, 10:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allamakee

Gender-reassigned face health hurdles: study
The Local - Sweden's News in English
by Stuart Roberts
December 12, 2009

http://www.thelocal.se/23814/20091212/

This year 60 people have applied to change their sex in Sweden. Most gender-reassigned people achieve a better life through their surgery, but a new study shows that the risk of attempted suicide and psychological problems remains high, Dagens Nyheter reports.

•  

gennee

I read the article and I'm not surprised by the findings. Reassignment surgery is a huge event and naturally there will be a letdown after the surgery. Also transsexual people are dealing with other e issues. One common error is that some believe that surgery is the end all to be all and it's not. There's the adjustment of living in the new identity and becoming comfortable in your own skin. This takes time and effort in some instances.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Alyssa M.

Gennee, you're right. I think part of the issue is that the article seems to equate surgury with transition, which is pretty common in media reports; I hope that the people involved in the study don't think that way. But the study definitely suggests that one try to figure out why those problems remain, and I don't think the answer will be found by studying surgical techniques.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •