Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What's up with drag (kings)?

Started by Allamakee, January 03, 2010, 04:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allamakee

What's up with drag?
Cherrie
by Kate O'Halloran     
December 21, 2009

http://cherrie.e-p.net.au/features/what-s-up-with-drag.html

I will be the first to admit I have always felt particularly ambivalent about drag kings. On the one hand I admit to squeamishness at the vulgarity of names like Max Fukter, BustHerr and BangHerr, Justin Sider and so on. On the other, I long for drag to be a performative medium for challenging gendered and sexual norms – and love it when I feel it does this successfully. But is that what drag is really about? Or does it have to be about anything at all?

I spoke to a diversity of kings about how they perceive drag and its meaning, and discovered a few things about a topic so enamoured to the queer community.
  •  

tekla

I long for drag to be a performative medium for challenging gendered and sexual norms

And here I thought that's what they were doing.  When they get TV or newspapers where Kate lives she'll be up on all this stuff.  Really, statements like: It occurs to me that drag is often about the presentation of a gendered position different from the one you inhabit in your everyday life is not exactly Einstein territory. That article read like she's out for Ric Romero's job.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •