Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What's your finger index ratio?

Started by Asfsd4214, January 21, 2010, 02:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your 2d:4d ratio?

I am an MTF and my ratio is 1 or higher (longer index finger)
60 (37.5%)
I am an MTF and my ratio is lower than 1 (longer ring finger)
52 (32.5%)
I am an FTM and my ratio is 1 or higher (longer index finger)
10 (6.3%)
I am an FTM and my ratio is lower than 1 (longer ring finger)
38 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Asfsd4214

Alright, so over on the MTF forum someone made a post (https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,71117.0.html) asking for input about something someone at her work had said, related to "spotting" a TS by the length between finger and index ratio, and whether it's even or not.

Unfortunately, her friend at work has it mixed up, there is a known correlation between prenatal hormone exposure and your 2d:4d ratio, but it's that males tend to have a ratio of 0.96 or less, females a ratio of 1 or higher. A lot of females fall into the higher category, and thus would also have "uneven" fingers and be considered male by that definition.

Index ratio's have found to be correlated with a number of things, personality traits, autism, TS, homosexuality to an extent, maths ability, sporting ability. Studies in the past have shown MTF's tend to have ratios in the normal female range, adding fuel to the biological cause theory.

So anyway, since everyone over on that thread is answering with completely useless trivia, I thought I'd post a thread so we can get some only mostly useless trivia.  ;D

My question is this, are you an MTF or an FTM (if neither, sorry I don't have a poll option, but you're more than welcome to post in the thread), which is your longer finger, on your dominant hand (the dominant hand is said to be the better indicator), the ring finger or the index finger? If you really want to get crazy you can measure both with a ruler, and divide index length by ring length to get a numerical value. Males on average have 0.96 or below, females 1 or higher.

In real life I've observed that this indicator is pretty accurate between cismales and females. There's exceptions, but almost everyone I have seen fit the averages.

Above picture from the washington post.

Please by all means post and comment on the thread, thanks for playing.  ;D
  •  

Janet_Girl

I am right handed and my ratio is 1 or higher (longer index finger), according to the picture.  But they are close in size.  The index finger is slightly longer than the ring finger.
  •  

Muffin

Mine falls under the 'I am an MTF and my ratio is 1 or higher (longer index finger)'
but during lower school when I was 12 I was a sports captain and I was on all of the interschool teams, including netball :P
But of course once puberty kicked in I lost all interest in team sports rraarrrr! :P
  •  

Osiris

Kinda interesting that thus far all the FTM votes are all longer ring fingers.
अगणित रूप अनुप अपारा | निर्गुण सांगुन स्वरप तुम्हारा || नहिं कछु भेद वेद अस भासत | भक्तन से नहिं अन्तर रखत
  •  

Inphyy

Wait, if the ring finger is bigger then what does that mean?

Also, I've just noticed.

On my left hand the index is bigger then the ring finger...

And on the right the ring finger is bigger then the index! O.o
  •  

Asfsd4214

Quote from: Lullabye on January 21, 2010, 11:15:21 PM
Wait, if the ring finger is bigger then what does that mean?

Also, I've just noticed.

On my left hand the index is bigger then the ring finger...

And on the right the ring finger is bigger then the index! O.o

Your dominant hand should be more significant than your non dominant hand, and it's the one I'm interested in for the poll.

Also, you need to make sure you're not tilting your hands to the sides when you look, your hand should be flat and inline with your wrist in the most comfortable position possible.  ;D
  •  

no_id

Aww, no Androgyne option? (figures in a way)
Guess I'll sit this one out.  8)

Edit: or wait, just read the thread again...
Androgyne here, right hand; index finger is longer - left hand; ring finger is longer. Erm. Neat.
Tara: The one time in my life I thought I was happy, I was a f**kin zombie.

True Blood S3E2
  •  

Luna!

If I check it according to that picture, the index is definitely longer. But is that how it's supposed to be measured? I had assumed they'd defined the finger as starting at the knuckle, and the knuckles don't run parallel to the wrist (not even on that picture). I have, however, assumed wrongly on multiple occasions; so I won't feel too bad if I was measuring the wrong way.

Not that it matters, as even by that measure they're 1:1 at least.

I have never had anything close to 'athletic skill', except running...
One more piece of nearly irrelevant evidence, yay! ^_^
  •  

Asfsd4214

Quote from: Luna! on January 22, 2010, 07:23:38 PM
If I check it according to that picture, the index is definitely longer. But is that how it's supposed to be measured? I had assumed they'd defined the finger as starting at the knuckle, and the knuckles don't run parallel to the wrist (not even on that picture). I have, however, assumed wrongly on multiple occasions; so I won't feel too bad if I was measuring the wrong way.

Not that it matters, as even by that measure they're 1:1 at least.

I have never had anything close to 'athletic skill', except running...
One more piece of nearly irrelevant evidence, yay! ^_^

Usually they say to measure using the center of the bottom most crease of your finger to the tip.
  •  

disdwarf

I feel like a lesbian girl inside a male body, I'm right-handed, and my ratio is 1.01, my index finger being just a bit longer. My father's ratio is way less than 1 though, he has a much shorter index finger (and he's straight, but I suspect he might be transgender and not have realized it yet). Both my hands are of the same ratio, and I'm an only child. Interestingly, lesbians typically have a similar ratio as mine:)
  •  

Maddi

While I haven't broke out a tape measure, mine are pretty much dead even on both hands, it doesnt matter though which hand, I am ambidextrous.

But even fingers, might explain why I am stuck and having a long hard personal journey.
  •  

Natasha

my index finger is longer.  i feel "like a real woman" now.. tsk tsk tsk.

isn't there a thread here somewhere about the size of your toes too?  seriously. :laugh:
  •  

SusanKG

I got flustered by the math here, but I'm left-handed, and my ring finger is longer than my index by a factor of a little over 1. So is that more feminine (I hope, I hope, I hope) or is that one more item to put on the feminization surgery list?  ;) Actually, about 15 years ago I tried to do that, cutting off about a quarter of an inch off the left ring finger, and it's still longer than the right one! The stupid nail curves over the tip.  >:(

SusanKG
  •  

Landon18

•  

Giselle Marie

My ring finger is ever so slightly longer than my index finger, measuring gives me a 0.99

•  

Hikari

on my dominant hand (right) my index finger is longer but not by all that much maybe 1/16"-1/8" it is reversed on my left (non dominant) and a bit more pronounced.

I am not sure what that means, but I know I am terrible at math, maybe I can blame it on my fingers?
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

BrandiOK

Measuring comes out with the exact same length giving me a 1.  Initially, just by looking, it appeared my index finger was slightly shorter but that was a result of it's placement and not it's length when measured.
  •  

kyril

Longer ring finger, but just barely.

•  

ClaudiaLove

Hi ,

on my left hand which is dominant , my index finger is quite smaller than the ring finger . On my right hand the index finger is still smaller or maybe the same . It depends on where do I start the measurement exactly .
Anyway , do you still Is any hope for me to be a MTF rather than a man with a transvestic fetish ?
Any other articles or stuff that explain other possibilities ?
I heard about this ratio only a few days ago and pretty much messed my entire life and beliefs .
Also I found some links to other related stuff like what is the dominant hand , etc. etc. and all made me feel that I would be classified  into the man 's category . 
I felt a girl inside for many years now , not that clear since childhood like other girls (but I thought I have some explanations about that ) , and now I am completely suicidal .
I went in Belgium today and I saw 2 cis girls with longer ring fingers , and I felt pretty good . Now I am back in France , and I saw many others with typical girl ratios and I am down again .

The science has a big influence on me , I feel that I can't argue with the universal laws and also alter my perception /opinion about other of my traits .
So I hate that I found out about this ratio , basically if I won't kill myself soon , I will still continue the transition , but it feels like I won't ever get the peace of mind that I really am a girl .

It is interesting here though , as the percent of MTF with smaller ratio is even bigger than the percent of MTF with digit ratio of 1 or above .

•  

FalseHybridPrincess

http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •