News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Spiro and salt cravings?

Started by deviousxen, January 24, 2010, 06:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deviousxen

why do I crave salt so much....?

Is it the spiros highish dosage that does it? Or do I just like salt...

I feel like I'm never satisfied with it but I always have way too much....

I'll put sea salt on my hand and freaking lick it off...

WWHHHHYYYY?
  •  

gothique11

I'm not sure if spiro makes you crave salt or not, but hormones can change your tastes and you can find yourself craving foods. I know that happened to me, and still happens (not on spiro anymore). Mmmm, salt. Oh, and chocolate! There's these things I found that were sweet'n'salty granola bars with chocolate and peanut butter in them... so amazingly good!
  •  

Janet_Girl

It might be that fact that it is a diuretic and the body requires the additional salt.  But I noticed it to when I was on Spiro.  Now I am back to my normal 'to taste' mode, which mean not a lot of the salt.

But I have always been a chocoholic.
  •  

gothique11

chocolate is amazing. I eat it and I can feel the rush all over my body. Mmmmm, chocolate! Orgasmic! It's not just the taste, but how it makes you feel... I don't know how to explain that. LOL
  •  

Janet_Girl

It is an aphrodisiac.  Especially with strawberries and a lover.  ::)
  •  

FairyGirl

Quote from: gothique11 on January 24, 2010, 07:15:36 PM
chocolate is amazing. I eat it and I can feel the rush all over my body. Mmmmm, chocolate! Orgasmic! It's not just the taste, but how it makes you feel... I don't know how to explain that. LOL

omg chocolate is a wonder drug, especially during those times of the month when I'm feeling all weepy. Lindt's makes these bars that are 90% cocoa- you don't really eat them like candy you let a piece slowly melt in your mouth as you absorb all that euphoria they seem to put in there along with the cocoa lol
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Krissy_Australia

Yep crave salt a lot. I too put sea salt on my hand a lick it off.
Mmmm olives stuffed with anchovies
  •  

sylvie

mmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate!  Sigh!  ;D

I have also acquired a taste for salty things since being on spiro.  My tastes in general have changed over the last few months as well.  Bacon  is also great these days, and I had never enjoyed bacon before.

Now where did I put that chocolate bar?   ;)
  •  

deviousxen

So you all think my cravings arent just that I have freakish aesthetic tastes and more a normal craving I should indulge?
  •  

FairyGirl

I drink a lot of tomato juice, which I add salt to, and also eat a lot of raw veggies (also with salt). I know tomatoes are supposed to have a lot of potassium but it hasn't been a problem with the spiro so far. I just assumed it was because spiro is a diuretic and craving salt was my body's way of trying to conserve fluids. Sounds pretty normal to me. I do try to be careful not to get too much salt though.
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Nicky

I think it is ok to indulge on Spiro. Spiro stops you from retaining much salt. If you are craving it you might just be a little low. Check your sodium levels next time you have a blood test.

My endo said it is good for your heart for the very reason that you don't retain much salt. He said if you get low you will likely crave it and it is ok to lick some, particulalry if the weather is hot. If you get too low you end up with muscle cramps.

Aprart from that you probably like it too. I don't think you need to feel guilty about it, we don't need to worry much about having too much like the non-spiro crowd. But as I mentioned, you can always check your next bloods (part of your electolytes (serum) panel).

My last bloods said I have 138 mmol/l for Sodium. the normal range is 135-145 according to my blood results. (I think you americans use different units of measure though)

I'm into salty pickles.
  •  

Hannah

Just enjoy the salty goodness dear, our pleasures are so few and far between. You can't really eat too much of it on spiro so have at it. Maybe one of those big salt licks they put out for cows would look nice on the end table?
  •  

deviousxen

You're absolutely sure that you can't overdo it really on spiro? I mean... I crave it a lot D:
  •  

AweSAM!

Mmmmm, kosher dill pickles, olives, pickled herring, bacon, miso soup, those crazy expensive sweet and salty granola bars, snickers bars (they now say Believe instead of Snickers due to the Olympics); the list goes on and on. The spiro really did help (?) induce theses cravings. I seem to love salt more than usual.

Hannah

Lol, I'm absolutely sure I can't overdo it, but your body has proven to be difficult and contrary, hasn't it! If you drink enough water the odds are in your favor. I fill one of those 2-liter bottles up and drink it all over ice while watching a movie or doing homework and eating my salty nom-noms. You're probably low, when you get enough hopefully the craving will fade.

Ps. Don't eat rock salt unless it's actual salt, I nibbled a chunk of some chemical labeled "de-icer" and it was vile and not fit for woman nor beast.
  •  

Nicky

Quote from: Kara-Xen on January 25, 2010, 10:49:19 AM
You're absolutely sure that you can't overdo it really on spiro? I mean... I crave it a lot D:

Well, as long as you are not taking it to silly levels like eating salt by the spoonfull. But I think it would be worth checking with the professionals if you are worried about it.
  •  

BunnyBee

Lol, apparently we are salt vampires.
Please deliver our simple souls from this insatiable insanity for savory salinity!
  •  

Hannah

can I have some popcorn with my salt please?
  •  

Janet_Girl

Or a little salt on our salt. 
  •  

deviousxen

Quote from: Nicky on January 25, 2010, 03:05:06 PM
Well, as long as you are not taking it to silly levels like eating salt by the spoonfull. But I think it would be worth checking with the professionals if you are worried about it.
It will usually be more than a spoon when I'm done with a few pinches... If I go to the movies, I have a LOT on my popcorn.. People are disgusted by it...
  •