Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"Ally McBeal" Boy to the World (1997)

Started by MaggieB, January 28, 2010, 10:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaggieB

I never watched this series when it ran and have begun to watch it on DVD now that it has been released. In season 1 Disc 3 there is a rather well done episode called "Boy to the World" about a trans person which was handled pretty well for 1997. I wept and wept when I saw it.

Maggie
  •  

Hannah

Grrr Ally McBeal, my mom used to use that show as an excuse not to pay attention to young Becca  >:(

I rather liked the way they did it in the charming, short lived series "Dead Like Me". The premise is a group of average people, except they are dead and live among the living as grim reapers; gathering the souls of the recently departed. Anyway once my favorite reaper collected a transexual soul, who asked to visit a church before being sent along...I won't spoil the rest.
  •  

MaggieB

Quote from: Becca on January 28, 2010, 03:30:50 PM
Grrr Ally McBeal, my mom used to use that show as an excuse not to pay attention to young Becca  >:(

I rather liked the way they did it in the charming, short lived series "Dead Like Me". The premise is a group of average people, except they are dead and live among the living as grim reapers; gathering the souls of the recently departed. Anyway once my favorite reaper collected a transexual soul, who asked to visit a church before being sent along...I won't spoil the rest.

I have "Dead Like Me" in my DVD collection. Loved that show and was sad to see it was canceled so soon. The episode you mentioned is often how I feel. I think of it every so often. Very moving.

The episode I mentioned is really quite poignant. While I took issue with some of the ways Trans issues were handled, nonetheless, it was amazingly good for 1997.  Sorry it brings up bad memories for you.  I recently was watching "Have Gun Will Travel" on instant play on Netflix and my spouse objected. Apparently, when she was a girl, her father forced her to watch it after the "Lawrence Welk Show." Bad memories. In my area, it was on at the same time as Welk and my mother forced us to watch Welk so I never got to see it. Once again I won't watch it. The one episode I did see was pretty bad so it is no great loss.

Maggie
  •