Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A Hilarious Commerical!

Started by Vanessa V., November 08, 2006, 02:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanessa V.

I found one for an ATV Video Game...

http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=4713

Its quite appealing!

:D

I'll anger the Dirt Gods!

:angel:

-Nessa
  •  

tinkerbell

That is too funny!  :D

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

Mia and Marq

That was awesome. If only it were that easy. Thanks for sharing!

-Us
Being given the gift of two-spirits meant that this individual had the ability to see the world from two perspectives at the same time. This greater vision was a gift to be shared, and as such, Two-spirited beings were revered as leaders, mediators, teachers, artists, seers, and spiritual guides
  •  

madison

Love it.

I have a dress just like that.
  •  

Melissa

Oh yeah, I saw that on TV this last weekend.  I thought that was funny.

Melissa
  •  

Steph

Stereotypical from the idiotic male dominated world of dirt bikes, but then I guess it's not their fault.  Of course if there's cleaning to be done it should be done by a woman, right. 

Give me a break.  >:(

Steph
  •  

Mia and Marq

See my take on the comercial was more of a light hearted poke at the stereotypes society has unreasonably created and maintains. If we can't laugh at ourselves when presented satirically, are we really comfort with who we are.

Example: My choice of hobbies and interests might place me in the category known as a geek. Now if I didn't embrace this title as one I don't mind, would I have bought my wife a baby-tee shirt that says "I love my geek". Probably not. Among the geek community, those of us that are comfortable with our interests, we say "Yeah I'm a geek, but I'm the one that fixes your computer so whatcha gonna do without me?"

Laugh at yourself and the world laughs with you.

-Pair of Geeks
Being given the gift of two-spirits meant that this individual had the ability to see the world from two perspectives at the same time. This greater vision was a gift to be shared, and as such, Two-spirited beings were revered as leaders, mediators, teachers, artists, seers, and spiritual guides
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Marq and Mia on November 08, 2006, 11:26:33 PM
See my take on the comercial was more of a light hearted poke at the stereotypes society has unreasonably created and maintains. If we can't laugh at ourselves when presented satirically, are we really comfort with who we are.

Example: My choice of hobbies and interests might place me in the category known as a geek. Now if I didn't embrace this title as one I don't mind, would I have bought my wife a baby-tee shirt that says "I love my geek". Probably not. Among the geek community, those of us that are comfortable with our interests, we say "Yeah I'm a geek, but I'm the one that fixes your computer so whatcha gonna do without me?"

Laugh at yourself and the world laughs with you.

-Pair of Geeks

And my take was that it degrades women...  and I've been laughing at myself for many, many, years and I still don't see where society is laughing with me.  In fact many, many places don't even tolerate me and see me as just a wacko guy wearing a dress.

Steph
  •  

Julie Marie

Now I know how to get dressed when I'm in a hurry.  I wonder what you have to do to get them to do your makeup, hair and nails?  :icon_mrhappy:

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Mia and Marq

I don't believe they were attempting to degrade women with this comercial but certainly could be the effect.
There is a couple sets of comercials that I think do something similar for guys. I think their delivery is more offensive because its calling out in their slogan that they're attacking men.

Has anyone seen the Hardee's commercials that try to imply that guys can't take care of themselves. Their catch line is something to the effect of "Without us, men would starve." Yeah that irritates the crap out of me. I find that a quite offensive statement. Not just them though.

Theres that set of beer comercials, maybe for Budweiser or something where they depict men in a typical man situation, working on cars, playing cards, whatever when one of the men does something that might be considered I don't know "sensitive, caring, compassionate" and what happens, a giant beer can falls on this guy. Then to kind of hit the last nail in the coffin, the other guys just go back to whatever they were doing like he deserved it.

I shall ponder if I can remember any more offensive comercials and see if this is a wide spread marketing technique that scares these roles into the men and women of the world. Thanks for the alternative perspective.

-Us
  •  

Melissa

Hime Marq and Mia.  Those are the kind of stereotypes that tried to force us to act masculine for all those years.  Fortunately for me it was never as strongly enforced as it was on others, so it's difficult for me to show much anger towards that.  I guess I'm more mad at myself for not figuring it out sooner. :P

Melissa
  •