News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

National religious workshop to be held in Charlotte

Started by Allamakee, February 10, 2010, 07:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allamakee

National religious workshop to be held in Charlotte
Q-Notes (LGBT newspaper, North and South Carolina)
by Nathan James
February 8, 2010

http://goqnotes.com/5493/national-religious-workshop-to-be-held-in-charlotte/

According to the LC/NA website the training areas will focus on organizing people and money, Bible texts used to justify negative reactions toward the LGBT community, learning to tell your personal story and understanding bisexual and transgender people.
<snip>
The training workshop is open to all churches and religions. Charlotte will be among only six cities to host the training. Other host cities will be Birmingham, Ala., Denver, Colo., Duluth, Minn. and Hayward, Calif. Attendance is limited to 30 participants, and Kraft feels confident the workshop will be full.

(NB: the dates and locations of the workshops in other cities, along with much additional information, can be found at:
http://www.lcna.org/news/training-events/building-an-inclusive-church)
  •  

tekla

Turns out they found the body, so the workshop has been canceled.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Syne

•  

Suzy

All well and good, but read closer.  They talk so much about making the church more inclusive.  So far so good.  But then look what they mean.

QuoteThe training comes in the wake of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America changing their policy banning gay, monogamously couple individuals from serving in the clergy, among other sexuality-based policies, in August.

Fine, but then they deal with that particular issue, and tack the LGBT label onto it.  So I have to ask: 
Where's the T?  Will it even be dealt with at this workshop?  Unfortunately, I think I already know the answer.

Kristi
  •  

Allamakee

Quote from: Kristi on February 15, 2010, 08:34:39 AM
Where's the T?  Will it even be dealt with at this workshop?  Unfortunately, I think I already know the answer.
Certainly the history of LGBT pronouncements makes one wonder if T inclusion is real or just for the books.  But the article does suggest that gender identity and diversity of expression will be considered:
QuoteThe training, sponsored by Lutherans Concerned/North America (LC/NA), will provide tools that other churches can use to welcome those of all sexual orientations and gender identities.... [including] ...learning to tell your personal story and understanding bisexual and transgender people.

Of course, that is fine on paper.  The proof will be what actually transpires.
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: Allamakee on February 15, 2010, 04:35:18 PM
Of course, that is fine on paper.  The proof will be what actually transpires.

Precisely my point.  I have seen a lot of these things, even participated in some of the discussions.  It usually comes down to an argument about homosexuality.  I have yet to see anyone really change his or her mind.  The T is thrown in in name but never debated, never understood, never explained.  It is just there because we have this supposed alliance.  I do hope I am wrong, but we will see,

Kristi
  •