Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

*sigh*

Started by kaide, February 19, 2010, 05:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaide

Our world is depressing...

I just found out someone I know *a MTF transgendered* was attacked a year ago by 7 men... she now carries a hand gun for protection...why do we live in a world where you need a hand gun...

It was just her and her friend, puts her key into her apartment door, next thing she knows 7 men swarm them... just sad
  •  

Dawn D.

Yes, it is sad! We have to keep our wits about us very keen, anytime we are out. Alone or in numbers!

I do hope she wasn't hurt bad. It's a shame to have to resort to such measures, yet, sometimes what else are you going to do? I know of others here locally that also carry concealed just for that reason.

Dawn
  •  

Janet_Girl

It is truly sad when anyone is not safe in their own homes.  But it is the way that it seems to have become.
  •  

Cindy

That is terrible.
Was it a random attack or because she was TG? Doesn't make a difference just enquiry. The world seems full of drug addicts who prey on people to feed their problem. No idea what the answer is. But seven people against a couple at a house door!!!

We cannot carry guns in Australia (generally) but would having a weapon have been any use? An expert soldier would have problems being sprung by seven people no matter what the soldier was carrying. Suprise rules.

Sorry for your friends

Cindy

•  

kaide

It happened about a year ago, I didn't know. No it wasnt TG related, but I didn't want to point out the people, it was based on race, I don't really want to offend any one.
  •  

Britney_413

It is sad and horrible. Similarly, I know an MTF TG who several years ago had a gang of 7 men break into her house. Her roomate decided to simply open the door when someone knocked without actually looking and in stormed the gang, several who were armed. This was a burglary and robbery and one of the criminals had threatened to rape the girl who was in bed at the time but did not go ahead with it. Needless to say, she owned a shotgun the next day.

Fighting 7 men is difficult but not impossible. As far as I'm concerned, society is getting pretty bad if it is getting to the point where gangs this large are attacking people. I honestly think the largest piece to the puzzle for self-defense is being aware of your surroundings and being tactical in your activities. In order for 7 men to attack you, they obviously have to be close enough to do so. Simple things like not opening the door or keeping it locked could help. The OP's incident occurred when they were opening their door to enter meaning that either they were already there standing in front of the door or were hiding behind plants or other obstructions.

It pays to vary routines, times, directions, and not be distracted. It also makes sense to have a full 360 degree awareness at all times as well. Using your eyes accomplishes about 180 degrees and your ears should accomplish the remainder that is out of vision. Even smell can save your life. A freshly lit cigarette odor quickly tells you that you aren't the only one in a parking garage. If it does happen that a large group of people is hanging around and appearing suspicious, there are ways of dealing with them. First, I would treat one person as ten. The nice gentleman knocking on your front door could mean nine more not-so-nice people are hiding out of view. I don't open the door to strangers, I don't linger around in public while appearing distracted, I don't count cash in view, and I don't make it publically known when I'm leaving, returning, or where I'm going. I want my house, car, and person to be an unknown variable to a criminal who may not know if someone is there, not there, how many, if they are awake, asleep, when they are getting back, leaving, etc.

If all else fails, I have the tools to get the job done. Anyone who makes a direct attempt to rob me or burglarize my property better hope that I'm caught off-guard and unready (which is unlikely) because otherwise they will be leaving in a body bag. Be a tough target.
  •  

Anisha

Its really sad...I dont know why they are against TG.Cant they see anyone happy and lively...
  •  

JillEclipse

Do they only let you have a license until AFTER you're attacked? Makes a lot of sense.

I am imagining myself at a NRA fair wearing makeup, asking for a CC permit. Yeah, like that's gonna happen. What if being transgender, reduces the chances of getting a license? Because as we all know, transgender=mentally unstable.
  •  

kaide

She's moved since then to a better area, and the place she lives in a open carry place, idk what its actually called, but they can carry a holster and gun on them at all times even visible.
  •  

Britney_413

Jill, that obviously depends on the state you live in. Some states are "shall issue" for CC permits meaning that as long as you pass the background check, training requirements, and other criteria, you are automatically given the permit. Only the states that are "may issue" that require a personal interview with law enforcement or the demonstration of specific need would risk having bias in the decision. Some states don't require a CC permit and some states allow open carry without a permit.
  •