Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Doing Male Mitzvot?

Started by Devin87, March 16, 2010, 08:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devin87

Now let me just start off by saying I'm reform so there are really no official male and female mitzvot for us (besides circumscision of course...), but I still feel a little award doing things that are traditionally male.  I would love to wear a kippah to services and there are one or two women at my synagogue who wear obviously women's kippot but for some reason I still feel awkward wearing one while not being out to the congregation (especially since mine most certainly wouldn't be a frilly pink one or a beaded one) even though I KNOW no one would really think much of it.  And being the first born of my family and having nothing but sisters, I almost feel like I should participate in the fast of the first born male before Passover.  But another part of me would feel weird doing that.  I wonder if God took gender identity into consideration when he killed the first born male or if He went solely by plumbing...  Ugg.
In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity.
I'm not inclined to resign to maturity.
If it's alright, then you're all wrong.
Why bounce around to the same damn song?
  •  

cynthialee

I am not a Jew of any form. Do not have any idea of the first idea.
But I do know that in some cultures the eldest daughter takes the responsibility of a son if only daughters are born.
I do believe that we have a divine entity that has expectations of us. I think that each of us are supossed to Worship in the fashion we believe in our hearts is Gods will. So Jews must be good Jews and Hindus good Hindus and so forth for all the varios faith systems.
If you are male in soul and eventualy body and you know yourself to be a man are you not a man? And as a man of the Jewish faith are you not suposed to fulfil certain obligations? What are the social and religious obligations that you should fulfil as a Jewish man?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

cynthialee

So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Devin87

The rabbi totally made me one of the four sons at the seder tonight.   ;D
  •  

cynthialee

Quote from: Devin87 on March 30, 2010, 07:35:59 PM
Sounds like religious acceptance to me.
Very cool!
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Iolanthe

The Chacham (Wise Son), I presume?

As it happens, I was raised Orthodox, studied Mishnah and Talmud, lived in Israel, speak Hebrew, the whole nine yards. While no longer observant (or even a believer, truth be told) I still find a lot to value in my heritage.

As for your situation, from what I gather, there are many accepting congregations already out there, and more all the time. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Chag Sa'meach!

~Lannie~

•  

Devin87

Haha.  Actually, I was the young son who didn't know how to ask a question.   ::)  The other three sons were older men.
  •  

Stephanie.Izann

That is such a beautiful thing.
  •  

spenser

I know that this hasn't been replied to in a while but I wanted to share my experience.  I attend a shul in a small southern community.  I attend minyan three times a week, wear a tallit, wrap tefillin, wear a kippa full time.  I don't pass 90% of the time but no one bats an eye.  I even go to breakfast with the rest of the guys after minyan on weekdays.  I have taken an aliyah on both Shabbat and  weekdays.  Really no problems at all.  There is a person that attends Shabbat services and while I have no idea how they identify themselves they have a male name yet wear makeup and female clothes. I haven't seen them be asked to take an honor on the bima and don't know if that is their choice or not.  I haven't seen anyone bat an eye towards them.  It is really no big deal.

I suspect that the rabbi knows the deal and included you as a son.  I don't know the make up of your community so I couldn't say for sure but generally speaking reform communities are pretty liberal.  If there is a renewal community near you, you could give that a try too. 

Hope all is well for you and Chag Samech Purim!
  •  

Padma

As I always say: Ma nish tana ha halaila hazeh? Ma lo? :)
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •