Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

i found a new species

Started by JillEclipse, March 19, 2010, 02:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JillEclipse

okay i went outside for a walk and i saw a new species of animal. It looked like a cat, slightly bigger. It was black. It's ears looked like a cross between a cat and a rabbit's ears. It ran like a cougar, a bunny, and a cat. It had a gray/white rabbit's tail. It ran kind of fast, BUT BOY IT COULD LEAP! Not kidding. It jumped litterally 5 feet into the air. Climbed over a 6 foot fence. I am not making this up.
  •  

Sandy

Did it look anything like this?

This one did not leave ANY carrots in the patch.  No one was about to tell him no!

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

JillEclipse

lol

it was black but the ears were much shorter, it definitely was not fat, just big ;D
  •  

Fenrir

Hmm, whereabouts do you live?

Edit: That's not meant to be a personal question, I just mean eg. North America. I'm a bit of an animal buff so I could come up with possibilities for ya.  :P
  •  

JillEclipse

oh i live in the metro detroit area.
  •  

Fenrir

Hey, a lot of wild animals can really jump, though! Even tame animals can. I've seen cats, dogs and rabbits jump unbelievably high, too.  :P
As for it being black, few mammals are black as a norm for the species (it makes you very obvious to either predators or prey during the day!) When black individuals occur, this genetic mutation is known as melanism. Melanism can either be partial or entire.
You sure it wasn't a partially melanistic version of one of these:

A bobcat.

(The white-tailed deer raises its tail as a kind of 'warning flag' when running away, like a rabbit.)

Bit odd to see either of those in a metropolitan area, but stranger things have happened. Sorry if these look nothing like your description, but seeing as it ran fast details can often get lost or confused in the rush!

Could be a big pet manx cat as well:

Could also be something that has escaped from a zoo/life as somebody's pet, like these non-native animals:

A melanistic serval. Their big ears are used for listening out for prey in long grass (taller than themselves) at which point they leap onto their prey, so they can definitely jump! Rich people keep wild cats like these as pets in America, so I've heard. The tail could've been lost in an accident.

A mara. Best cat/rabbit cross I could think of off the top of my head. Apparently they're often kept as pets, too, which helps the theory.  ;)

If it IS something entirely new, ask other people if they've seen anything like it in the area. If they have, then you could be on to something exciting!  :) I go on cryptozoology.com's forums for stuff like that. (P.S I know, I know, no link posting, but I really do think it's the best website to discuss possibilities about animals unknown to science. If I have violated the rules, feel free to remove that.)
  •  

JillEclipse

I think it resembles a melanistic serval the most. But the tail looked like a white bunny tail, it did not looked it had been severed.

If it was someones pet, I don't think they'll ever catch it...
  •  

mr_marc

Maybe it was a malformed cat? D: lol
  •  

tekla

I'm guessing it was a lost jackalope (Lepus-temperamentalus) a cross between an extinct pygmy-deer and a species of killer-rabbit.

http://www.sudftw.com/jackcon.htm
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •