Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How can transgendered people be religious?

Started by Angel On Acid, June 04, 2010, 09:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Quote from: MillieB on June 06, 2010, 07:56:43 AM
When you look at it like that, you realise that we have based a whole society on a story about a talking snake conning some guy into eating an apple ??? ??? ??? ???

Is that really the best we can do?

And your point is?

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Miniar

Either way, if there's an all powerful, all knowing, omnipresent god, who is the one and only creator of "all" things in existence... well.. then that god created not just the good and the bad, but he also created what lead to the bad.
I mean..

If god creates every tiny aspect of a being, including all it's instincts and all, as well as every tiny aspect of the being's surroundings, does the being have "free" will?
Does it have "any" chance of overcoming the influences of it's own nature, it's surroundings and.. well.. "everything"?

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Dryad

QuoteIf god creates every tiny aspect of a being, including all it's instincts and all, as well as every tiny aspect of the being's surroundings, does the being have "free" will?
Does it have "any" chance of overcoming the influences of it's own nature, it's surroundings and.. well.. "everything"?
The answer is, of course, 42. :P
  •  

LordKAT

•  

Sandy

Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

accord03

Why is everyone basing religion against transgenders and homosexuals? The question is : Why can't we be religious just cause we're transgendered? It's exactly as a murderer or a rapist (or any sinner for that matter) who are religious. We sin but we still believe in God. I think it's quiet natural, it's a feeling you get in your heart and nobody is perfect so we can't follow through every guideline that's written in the bible. We are ALL sinners in someway.

We can't blame God for being transgendered. There is always a reason for something and I'm sure we are transgendered for a reason. It could be a personal challenge? It could be that God wanted us to be in a different body so we know how the other gender feels or what they go through. We should be grateful we have the opportunity to be who we want to be and overcome this barrier. If God was to abandon us, there wouldn't be a 'cure' for our 'disease', would it? Everything has a purpose and I strongly believe that before we were brought into this world, God has already planned our destiny and our life.

I was raised as a christian but I am converting to muslim one day.
  •  

Dana Lane

Stone children to death...turn page
Kill those that work on the sabbath...turn page
Kill your wife if she is on her period on your wedding night...turn page
ah, yes...kill homosexuals
============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

spacial

Quote from: Miniar on June 06, 2010, 08:32:07 AM
Either way, if there's an all powerful, all knowing, omnipresent god, who is the one and only creator of "all" things in existence... well.. then that god created not just the good and the bad, but he also created what lead to the bad.
I mean..

If god creates every tiny aspect of a being, including all it's instincts and all, as well as every tiny aspect of the being's surroundings, does the being have "free" will?

Yes.

And this raises the question about the nature of right and wrong.

Our point of view is heavly based upon punishment for wrong.

If hell doesn't exist, then the notion of punishment suffers. Which in turn, calls into question, the notion of right and wrong.

Now if we accept the perpetual existance of the soul, then its destiny, after being freed from material existance needs to be considered.

Most, in our tradition, see the soul as an individual entity, endowed with self awareness and integrated into relationships with each other and our environment. That when we die, our individual memories and exeperiences will continue with each of us.

Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, don't believe in traditional hell. They claim that, those who have lived according to God's commandments, which they have chosen to expand, to encompas the whole Bible, will dwell near God, while those who have chosen not to, will dwell furthest. They claim this is the predicted anguish.

The Hindus on the other hand view God as a single, all encompasing entity. That each of us is part of that entity, but for various reasons, we have broken away. Such is the pain we individually feel that we have created the illusion of materialism. We are continually reborn into material existance because we have lost the awareness of the Godhead. Only by becoming aware, once again, of the Godhead and our part of it, can we die. Once we rejoin the Godhead, we will cease to exist as individuals.

Most Anglicans, certainly high church, take a perspective similar to the Hindu, while maintainting the individuality of the soul. Namely, that we will rejoin with the Godhead. Anglican notions of hell are somewhat moot.

But, from our perspective, it does raise the issue of morality. Are moral precepts handed down by a god?

The pure Christian notion, based upon the teachings of Jesus, is that we are each individually responsible for our own souls. We are commanded to abide by the Commandments, which are 10 basic rules, few could argue with. But none has the authority to judge anyone else.

One the other extreme, again within the same tradition, is Islam with its extensive body of immutable laws, all of which are imposed by and judged by those appointed by acclimation.

In between we have the politico-christians, such as the SBU. Though, for many, these are more political movements, much like the cult of personality practiced in N Korea.

There are also the Roman Catholics and perhaps, Mormons, with their ambitions of political influence.

It is however, interesting that those that preach the notion of hell and judgement are those thst seek to assume authority and benefit materially from it.
  •  

cynthialee

Quote from: accord03 on June 25, 2010, 04:49:10 AM
Why is everyone basing religion against transgenders and homosexuals? The question is : Why can't we be religious just cause we're transgendered? It's exactly as a murderer or a rapist (or any sinner for that matter) who are religious. We sin but we still believe in God.
I regect your violent assertion on my soul that I am a sinner. Maybe it would be better to say 'we christians believe we are sinners'.
Personaly I take it as an assault on my identity for anyone to make a blanket statement all have sinned. Please refrain from labbeling all people sinners. I am not a sinner.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

accord03

Hahaha okay then!

Answer me a few questions if you claim to not be a sinner cause everyone is. No one is perfectly flawless and have followed through all the guidelines of being the perfect child for God.

Did you have sex before marriage?

Did you ever lie?

•  

cynthialee

Quote from: accord03 on June 25, 2010, 08:20:25 AM
Did you ever lie?
As I do not have Christian beliefs and my mother and father made me promise to have sex with a prospective lover before marriage that is not a sin to me. (they were afraid I was gay and would marry a woman just to make society happy) Also I am polyamourous and in an open relationship, so don't run to adultry to see if you can pin that on me, it is imposible for me to comit adultry.
Lieing is only a sin when it brings pain or stress to anouther. If a lie spares someones feelings or prevents conflict then it is just fine and dandy.
You have to remember that not everyone has the same set of morals. Not all of us care to be measured by someone elses yard stick.
By the standards of my faith I am curently doing very well. I am free of sin and I get reincarnated regardless of my lifepath I follow now.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Dana Lane

Quote from: accord03 on June 25, 2010, 08:20:25 AM
Hahaha okay then!

Answer me a few questions if you claim to not be a sinner cause everyone is. No one is perfectly flawless and have followed through all the guidelines of being the perfect child for God.

Did you ever lie?

I am an atheist and therefore can't be a sinner. Just because you believe in a higher power doesn't mean I do. And just because that higher power tells you I am a sinner it is only your perception that I am one. If a crazy person walking down the street hears a voice saying "She is the devil". In his mind I am the devil but in reality I am not. It is only his perception.
============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

spacial

I don't think cynthilee is denying she is a sinner. I personally don't see myself as a sinner, but rather as flawed.

However, the point I'm sure that is being made is that being transgendered isn't a sin. It's what we are.

Incidently, there is no commandment against sex before marriage. The only commandment relating to sexual matters is against adultry.
  •  

cynthialee

No, I am denying I am a sinner. I am not. Such a thing is almost impossible to me.
For me to sin would require me intentionaly inflicting stress or pain on anouther sentient soul, without regard to the cause or results, or the intentional harming of self.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

spacial

Understood cynthialee.

Can't say as I disagree with your position.
  •  

accord03

Quote from: cynthialee on June 25, 2010, 08:41:41 AM
No, I am denying I am a sinner. I am not. Such a thing is almost impossible to me.
For me to sin would require me intentionaly inflicting stress or pain on anouther sentient soul, without regard to the cause or results, or the intentional harming of self.

I am sure you have caused stress or strain on another human being. People can't always watch what they say or maybe you have offended them by your facial expressions or tone. Maybe, I am concluding this cause I believe in God and I know that everyone is a sinner.

Btw, are you trying to say that you're perfect?
  •  

cynthialee

I never said I was perfect. I just refuse to be measured by christian standards.  I live my life without blame. Also if some take offence to what I have done or am doing then that is on them. I am not required to live my life to impress or satisfy anouther.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

justmeinoz

As I pointed out earlier, and in another thread, the Eastern Christian Churches have a very different idea of the concept of sin. The very idea of "Original Sin" is unknown in the Western sense. 
I am no expert but my understanding is that the modern Western position has drifted considerably from the time the Orthodox and Catholic Churches split.

A lot of American Protestants also appear to have adopted a literalist approach that dates from the early 1900's, and has no precedent in earlier traditions at all.

In many ways American fundamentalists seem to have become some sort of neo-Zoroastrians, with their emphasis on Good vs Evil, belief in angels and lots of other aspects that just look strange to many foreigners.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

accord03

I think you're denying this whole "I'm not a sinner" is because you don't believe in God but I do so I am going to state my opinion and put religion standards on people.

To me, everyone is a sinner and I'm sure people who believe in religion would agree to that.

You are pretty much saying you're "perfect" because you keep on denying you haven't done any faults in life.
Faults are sins. Whether it is a very bad thing or not so bad but it is still a sin.
  •  

spacial

I get the impression that most people don't know the fundimentals.

Many seem to think original sin was sex. Most don't know what Jesus taught and I'm regularly surprised that most don't seem to know what the commandments say.

I personally think the churches have a lot to answer for here. They spend most of their time trying to make themselves powerful and influential and practically none on teaching.

The American churches are probably some of the worst. They appear to be intensly political. I have a niece who was in a happy clappy church for a while. Some of the stuff she came out with was quite extraordinary. When she did finally leave and we discussed some of these notions, it was clear she had been fed with cherry picked quotes, being told they mean this or that.
  •