News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Save the ta-tas - Topless transgender men may affect LBGT rights

Started by Butterfly, June 07, 2010, 05:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin

Quote from: Izumi on September 24, 2010, 01:53:07 PM
... Like i said if they were making a statement thats one thing, if they were just in it for themselves, then that hurt other TS women like myself because of the negative image it portrays about us and about what they believe being a woman means.

It's so sad that the general public can and do judge the actions of just one person to be a general rule for how all people like that are. I'm sure it's not just LGBT but it's a shamefully sad not to mention lazy and short-sighted way of thinking. *screams from a roof top* "My medical condition does not define me!!!" :P
  •  

rite_of_inversion

The law should be changed...it's not the most pressing law that needs changing, though.  It's a minor unfairness.
I think it ought to be legal for women to breastfeed in public, too-do you really want to nurse a immunologically-sensitive baby in a public bathroom? With cooties floating from the toilet spume?

I think we ought to include freeing the boobies with a more general gender liberation.
  •  

Izumi

Quote from: Muffin on September 24, 2010, 09:29:41 PM
It's so sad that the general public can and do judge the actions of just one person to be a general rule for how all people like that are. I'm sure it's not just LGBT but it's a shamefully sad not to mention lazy and short-sighted way of thinking. *screams from a roof top* "My medical condition does not define me!!!" :P

Well i tend to look at people one at a time rather then in groups.  I find good and bad in everything and hate generalizations but most people just need something in their lives they can attack, maybe to escape or find meaning in their own sorry existence, we are different so we fit the bill, but really you dont need to be TS to have people hate you for being different, you can be almost anything, even normal and someone out there will hate you and want to hurt you because your not their type of normal.  Heh, as a species i dont think humans will make it in the long run if they keep this up.... oh well, it was a good run.
  •  

jmaxley

Quote from: Izumi on September 27, 2010, 12:06:42 PM
Heh, as a species i dont think humans will make it in the long run if they keep this up.... oh well, it was a good run.

I'm surprised sometimes we've lasted as long as we have.
  •  

Kentrie

Quote from: Hauser on June 14, 2010, 09:28:29 AM
topless women are not allowed in public...tgirl or not its considered indecent exposure. they should have been arrested legally speaking.

What about FTM's who have had chest surgery?
Push it baby, push it baby, out of control, I got my gun cocked tight and I'm ready to blow. ;)
  •  

Nikki_Mercedes

Quote from: Hauser on June 14, 2010, 09:28:29 AM
topless women are not allowed in public...tgirl or not its considered indecent exposure. they should have been arrested legally speaking.
i couldnt agree more with you.  We fight so hard to be accepted as women, yet these yahoos go and disrespect themselves and ALL of us.

I choose to refer to them as men to. Because that is what they are men with boobie fetishes
  •  

Lily

Anywhere a man can go topless, a woman should be able to go topless too.

Problem solved.
  •  

xXRebeccaXx

Even in death, may I be triumphant.
  •  

Lyric

Yes, that writer is obviously too ignorant on the subject of transgender persons to be published by a legitimate publication or site discussing the topic. The matter does point out the inherit absurdity of such gender-based public nudity laws, though. There should be no legal difference to a woman going bare chested or a man doing so. These transgender persons are simply bringing that issue to the forefront where it should be. Of course, the next big issue that community may have to deal with is the antiquated notion of having any law that is gender-based since gender is by no means an entirely either/or concept.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Guantanamera

Quote from: Colleen Ireland on September 10, 2010, 02:59:18 PM
Here in Ontario, the solution is simple.  The law was changed about 20 years ago, so it's perfectly legal for any woman (trans or not) to go topless in public.  Very few actually do.  In fact, I've seen only one, and that was at this year's Gay Pride weekend in Toronto, lol...

I believe that the ninth circuit court of appeals has legalized women going topless if men can.

As to the actual number of women going topless? Exactly 0 haha.
  •  

fionabell

Quote from: Muffin on September 12, 2010, 01:10:48 AM
The law still sees pre-op MTFs that are STILL transitioning as men so legally they couldn't be charged etc etc. Legally they can be considered MAN-BOOBS. It is strange that the law defenders can change the rules when they see fit. Stupid sensationalism. FAIL.

Thanks muffin. You cleared it up for me. They are mtf. When confronted with legal trouble they did what any sensible person would do and argued their situation based on the letter of the law. Legally, they are still men.

The author of this article used his own terminology which made it confusing.

He seems to be incensed that the Mtf's did not use the incident as a political platform.Evidently he sees all transgender and gays as political activists and sees this inconsistency as another contradiction to offend his senses.
  •  

Rain Dog

Quote from: Izumi on September 24, 2010, 12:16:53 PM
As i read the posts a lot of people are attacking the transgender men issue more then the fact they were topless at a beach that didnt allow topless women.  If you got boobs cover them up, its a modesty thing more then anything, your only allowed to flash them in public on rare occasions like a certain party in new orleans, or nude beaches.
And therefore we need a modesty police, a mutaween? Can't society decide for itself what is modest enough without legal intervention? And what justification is there for a discriminatory law?
  •  

Lee

Topless laws seem to be a bit of "It's bad because I say so."  Apparently women are okay as long as the nipples don't show......but nipples are fine on guys.   ::)

Is this actually an arrestable offense some places?  The public nudity laws here don't include breasts, just genitalia.  Actually, a local woman recently proved her legal right to garden topless.
Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love

A blah blog
http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,365.0.html
  •