Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Books get judged by their covers

Started by Just Kate, June 09, 2010, 02:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Kate

If your society defined wearing the color orange meant you were a witty person, and being seen as witty by others was important to you, wouldn't you do your best to wear orange?

If the shape of your jaw indicated to the world at large you like rock music and becoming a rockstar was your solitary dream, would you have surgery to have that specific jaw configuration?

If everything about your appearance said to others something else about you due to the culture, would you do your best to change it so that others would perceive you the way you actually are?

Such is my desire to cross dress because people are judged by their covers.

I have no desire to dress in private, well insomuch that clothes don't matter as much to me, don't do anything for me, and don't make me feel "good" or "whole" etc.  They do one thing, and that requires them to be publicly seen - and that is represent something I find important.

I went to an anime convention and saw a lot of cross dressers and nearly ALL of them were wearing something resembling a maid outfit.  I recognize this isn't the perfect cross-section of cross dressers nation wide, but it certainly made me wonder how I'd be taken were I to cross dress at the con.  I somehow doubt I'd be seen how I desire to be seen.

As it stands I present fairly androgynously, but still something about my physical appearance betrays me, tells others I am something I am not, and in fact many are surprised when they get past my "book's cover" and start "reading my pages".  They say things like, "are you even real?  You are not anything like I expected you to be," etc.  How can I get THAT... that thing in me, that personality, that part of me, that real me, to get out, so I stopped getting judged for being whatever it is my cover is showing?

When I transitioned I changed immensely, I didn't feel the need to show a guy who didn't exist and it was amazing for me.  People saw me and it was incredible.  When I detransitioned, I did my best to not be "that guy" I was before, and in fact became a lot more open, but for some reason I've still had such a hard time being seen as the person I was so easily taken for when I transitioned.

It's like being female is the color orange.  It represents something to this society that (figuratively) wearing purple does not and I'm stuck in a purple t-shirt.  People meet me and say, "wow, I'd expect you to be wearing orange."  I don't WANT to be a girl persay, but I don't like being judged for wearing a color that doesn't match.  When I was a girl, everything fit except for the fact I wasn't in fact, a girl, but socially I was where I always wanted to be, and taken for the me that exists but is never seen.

I want so badly to wear whatever thing that will change out the jacket that covers my book - so I get taken for how I am.

Why is this so important to me?  I really don't know.  But I feel sad, sad that others cannot see me as I see myself.  Being a girl got me the closest I've ever been, but it was still a facade, as I was not a girl and never would be.

Stupid socially created stereotypes - oh why do I feel I need to play into you? :(
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

justmeinoz

Maybe you should have worn a monk's robe, and said you were not into the distractions of the material world?
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Sabene

Hello IA,

Your words about how people saw you when you transitioned really speak to me.  What they saw was your "authentic self" and that is almost always an attractive force.  I experience the same when I am presenting as female.  I get along with people so much better and they seem to be attracted to talk to me.  I feel better in my own skin and that -shows- and people react to that energy.

I don't know your history, but it sounds like you have had a rough go of it.  I have been to those same conventions and seen the little girlie-boy maids and sailor moons...I am a bit too old to pull that off.  :P  There are also a few in my area that are TS/TG and they dress more like real girls.  They are perceived in that community as they are perceived in the community at large - each according to who is looking at them. 

The good reactions of attraction and the bad reactions of negativity are always not about -us-...it is about -them-.  One is more pleasant than the other, but they are both external to what is happening within us.

So what we are left with is what is happening -within us-.

You find yourself again in a place of that "third-gender".  I think the trick is to realize that we steer our own ships and thus if you are in that place it is because you have made a choice to be there.  If we can integrate that realization, I think it makes it easier for us to tap into that authenticity and be our authentic self however we are presenting...the energy flows, and there people are reacting in a positive attractive way again...

The trick is to keep hold of that feeling, own that choice, and if we are not happy about something...change the course of our ship.  :)

Hope that helps.  <3  Sabene

•  

gothique11

Yeah, ppl judge, which sux.

I think it would also be hard to deal with the conflict of wanting others to see who as you are, inside, emotionally, and psychologically, but you feel as if you can't -- you almost feel like you're living as a lie.

You're LDS, right? Coming from that background myself, I can understand how difficult it is. I went on a mission and while there I also went though a program to "over come" my transgender issues. In the end, it didn't work (I tried committing suicide instead). So, I understand the conflict. In time, I transitioned and no longer have GID feelings as I'm content being the woman I am. I dress how I want, as well, as I'm not girly-girl... it's nice that I can just be myself inside and out with no emotional conflict or social conflict.

I know that gender is very important in the church - it's part of your eternal salvation. Even the temple ceremonies play a huge part in gender (I don't know if you've been to the temple and had your endowments or not).

In the The Family: A Proclamation to the World, It says, "All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."
*emphasis added

GID is not well understood. Being LDS and having GID can be very difficult to contend with, as gender within the church plays such a huge role doctrinally.

Although, I'm no longer with the church, I still follow what's going on and I'm very familiar with the church's doctrine (past, and present).

There's a part of me that believes that GID and the church will be resolved. GID,  ranssexuality and intersex will be seen as a birth defect -- like a child being born without a limb or other defects. Yet, we know, that that child's body will be complete and whole in the eternities.

My personal view point in regards to when I was in church, was that I had a birth defect. In the pre-mortal (or pre-existant state) I was a woman, who was born into a defective body, who will be raised up in the last days as the woman I was meant to be. In a way, it's my duty to be the gender I am vs the birth defect I was born. I saw not transitioning as not doing my calling in life.

I don't think Heavenly Father made a mistake, but I know that God is Intelligence. There's a reason I was born with way, have my GID feelings, and was born intersex. I don't think Heavenly Father made me this way to cause pain in my life, or meant for me to be tortured with GID conflicting which gender I was. Since gender plays an important role, it would be my duty to be the gender I was called to be. Being who I am, I no longer suffer GID, and that's a blessing.  Being born in this day and age where I can accomplish fixing my gender is also a blessing. I was also born and lived in a province where SRS was covered. I see this as all blessings. I see being transsexual and intersex as a blessing, a calling, and a lesson. To deny the gender I was meant/called to be (female), was to deny the plan of salvation and Heavenly Father's plan for me. I really think, after all of these years, that I was meant to transition and the roads were opened up for me to do so.

Although I no longer go to church, I still haven't had any excommunication even after my SRS. Despite being transsexual and on my mission, I was still released with honor after a year of serving. I have heard of some members going back to church after SRS and getting the blessing of the first presidency to come back and serve callings within the church without need or requirement to switch back.

I don't think the church, as its people, as a whole is really ready to embrace transsexual and intersexed people -- but, I think it will come in time, and in certain cases it has had the blessing of the first presidency (although, not often publicized, if at all).

I think Heavenly Father recognizes that gender is not black and white, and that there is variance. I think he also recognizes that there are some people who are born intersex or transsexual, just as some people are born with other birth defects. I think there is a purpose for people with GID -- I don't know what it is, but I don't see Heavenly Father not having a purpose for people like me or you.

I don't think that everyone needs or require to transition either. I really think it depends on the case. You might not need to transition at all. In my case, it was something I needed to do. It took a lot of thought. It was something that I would pray about and read the scriptures often.

Matthew 19:12 "For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it."

I think that's a powerful scripture. I think it shows that Heavenly Father recognizes transsexuality and intersexuallity -- "which were so born from their mother's womb." Remember, back then they didn't have terms for transsexual and intersex.

Is our mortal gender reflective of our eternal gender? Is gender just a body part or an identity. "Gender is an essential characteristic. "

It says that gender is an "essential characteristic." It doesn't say that gender is a body part (or your mortal body), hormones, or what you are born as -- it's a characteristic. My gender characteristic is female: to deny my female characteristic is to deny my "individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

I just couldn't go on living a lie and living as male trying to fit in, meanwhile denying my eternal and essential characteristic of my female gender. As long as I suffered GID to such an extreme state, like I was, I knew I couldn't get closer to Heavenly Father. I knew forcing myself to be male and fit into that role for the sake of men, was denying the blessing of becoming the woman I was inside, and eternally, given from Heavenly Father.

I'm guessing that explaining it this way is why I've never once had any disfellowship or excommunication from the church. I don't go to church anymore, and I wouldn't say that I'm a TBM (True Believing Member); but I don't think transitioning and having my surgery was wrong in Heavenly Father's eyes; I think it was my calling and duty to. I no longer have GID feelings and it's much easier for me to read the scriptures and feel closer to Heavenly Father than before, when I was suffering from GID. I really think there is a purpose from Heavenly Father to go through all of this, and to transition.

That might not be your purpose or what you need to do -- but I think you need to find your purpose. Pray about it. Pray about your eternal identity and what Heavenly Father wants you to do with that calling. Let your identity be who you are, and be a testimony through your identity.

Anyway, this is my point of view and I thought I'd share. Good luck! *hugs*

•  

gothique11

I should also note, when I was younger and given my patriarchal blessing, the guy said "she" several times and referred to me as female several times. In the written copy, it was fixed... I think at the time, even though I knew then (and from a young age), I wasn't ready to start transitioning and I don't think those around me were ready. There were some obscure references to a special calling that only I would understand and that it was my duty to do it for my eternal identity... and it was essential to follow through that calling regarding my eternal identity. I thought, once, that maybe it was to fight who I was, until I realized fighting wasn't the calling, but fighting was denying the calling and searching out and becoming my true identity was the calling from Heavenly Father. ...I am a woman.
  •  

Constance

Thank you, internalia and gothique11. Your posts here have given me much to think about.

spacial

Back in the late 60s and most of the 70s there was a notion going around about worrying about what others were thinking about you. It was seen as a social weakness to succum to the attitudes of others. It was part of the notion of acting how you feel, regardless of what others think.

Much later I realised that, what others think about each of us is very important to every one of us. However much we try to disregard the attitudes of others, they are an important factor for all of us. We say certain things and don't say other things. OK, I don't want to hurt feelings, but why? Partly because I don't wish to harm others but equally because I don't want to be seen as someone who harms others.

That is reality. It matters to me and to most people that others see me as I would wish.

I would like to wander down the street with proper female hips, proper female skin, proper female eyes and proper female breasts. (What's between my legs is my own business, though I wish there were a lot less than there is,  :D ).

I know that my breasts can never nurture an infant. I know that I can never bear children. What I would be adjusting is my appearance. The way others see me. They seem me as female and I am treated accordingly.

As for God. Why would God be concerned about sex. Sex is a mortal function. God doesn't have a sex. why would He. We use the male pronoun because we tend to use the male pronoune when referring to a general rather than a specific.

God didn't make a mistake. God made me, here and now, in the 20th and 21st centuries when I have the opportunites to live as I choose. People in the past, who are similar to me now, perhaps had a hard time. It isn't my place to question God. Only to take advantage of the fruits He has provided.

•