Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Name Change In Pierce County, WA

Started by Muddy, June 09, 2010, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muddy

I just returned from court- my name change is official and legal and what-have-you, now.

Aaron Patrick [insert last name here].

I cannot fathom a less painful procedure.  I downloaded all the forms from the County's website, and filled them out at home.  This morning [without an appointment] I went down to the Civil Court with said paperwork and copies of my birth and marriage certificates.

The marriage cert was just me being extra cautious, in case they wanted to know why my birth certificate and ID had different last names.
The birth certificates were NON-certified copies of the original, as my mother won't provide me with the original [oh the joys of being disowned.]

There was no wait at the window, so I was able to give my paperwork and pay my fee right away.  They were not concerned about what type of copy the birth cert was.  Then I went down the hall to wait for the judge.

One other person was waiting to contest a speeding ticket, and they went first, so I was alone in the room when my name was called.

The Judge asked why I wanted to change my name [I'm transgender, female-to-male], if I was attempting to avoid paying debts or criminal proceedings [no ma'am] and if I was currently on parole or probation [no ma'am].
She followed that up with "I'm granting your name change.  Go back out front to get your copies of the order."

I think all told, it took less than 20 minutes to get my name changed.

They didn't even ask for proof that I lived in Pierce County [although I do.]
  •  

Arch

Nice. Congratulations.

BTW, you should probably get your own certified birth certificate. You never know when it will come in handy.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Muddy

Oh yeah.

Looking through all the steps needed for the rest of my paperwork, I won't need my birth cert.

Since it'll take me something like two months to get a replacement birth certificate from the Federal Government [American Citizen Born Abroad], its easier to just wait until after surgery to get a new one.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: Muddy on June 09, 2010, 04:34:22 PM
Oh yeah.

Looking through all the steps needed for the rest of my paperwork, I won't need my birth cert.

Since it'll take me something like two months to get a replacement birth certificate from the Federal Government [American Citizen Born Abroad], its easier to just wait until after surgery to get a new one.

...which means you'll have a copy on hand in case you need it. That's all I meant.

I'm curious--because of the circumstances of your birth, are there any special problems associated with changing your birth cert? Any advantages?
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Muddy

Mostly that it takes a lot longer.
It all has to be done by mail, and since its the feds, it takes them longer to process it.

They issue a new certificate, not an amended one.

Post Merge: June 09, 2010, 10:47:32 PM

Actually, if this thread is correct, and the information contained on the linked website is also correct:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,78563.msg545977.html#msg545977

I don't have to have surgery to have my birth certificate corrected.
Holy crap. 
  •