Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Student loan & name change?

Started by pebbles, June 17, 2010, 01:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pebbles

I'm planning to get my name changed over the summer (deed poll) I'm fine and I understand how most of it would work but I'm worried about one thing.

That begin the student loans department. Has anyone else been a uni student and gone before me in this regard?  I worry about this because if they have a freak out and stop paying my student loan I will be in real financial trouble fast with regards to my tuition fees.

I'd ideally love to have this sorted out before graduating next year as I could have my diploma with my future legal name.
  •  

rejennyrated

well back in my day it was a government grant so unfortunately I didn't deal with UK student loans, but second time around at uni a couple of years back there were students in transition and I don't think they had any problem.

What you have to do is the same as you will need to do with the university, that is send a letter to the company explaining the change of name and gender and enclose a CERTIFIED copy of the deed poll or statutory declaration document. A certified copy is a photocopy made by a solicitor and stamped with the solicitors official seal saying that it is a true and unaltered copy. Most organisations will insist on seeing either a cerified copy or the original document (NO! - NEVER SEND the original because they lose them).

The only problem you are likely to get is the overworked admin department in the student loans company who have a bit of an unfortunate reputation for a.) taking six years to do things and b.) making mistakes. I think you might find that a few follow up phone calls may be needed but it should be ok. They have seen it all before.

By the way you can change your name by either deed poll or statutory declaration. They are both drawn up and sworn in a solicitors office. My understanding is that the second method is theoretically easier in our situation because it requires no publication of the new names in a local newspaper, which technically I think a deed poll does.

Good thinking on timing though. Hvaing both my degrees and my "A" and "O" level certificates in my proper name has proved rather useful at times... Mind you since the gender recognition act there are now official mechanisms to get them all changed if necessary.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: pebbles on June 17, 2010, 01:53:08 AM
I'm planning to get my name changed over the summer (deed poll) I'm fine and I understand how most of it would work but I'm worried about one thing.

That begin the student loans department. Has anyone else been a uni student and gone before me in this regard?  I worry about this because if they have a freak out and stop paying my student loan I will be in real financial trouble fast with regards to my tuition fees.

I'd ideally love to have this sorted out before graduating next year as I could have my diploma with my future legal name.

Depending what country you are in may change things. There were a few posts about girls changing names in the USA and having a few problems with bureaucratic staff. Do a search and see if you can find them.

Cindy
  •