Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"All My Children" introducing transgender character to the cast.

Started by tinkerbell, November 27, 2006, 12:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerbell

QuoteNEW YORK - In a story unusual even for a soap opera and believed to be a television first, ABC's "All My Children" this week will introduce a transgender character who is beginning to make the transition from a man into a woman.

article

I love this soap and tape it every day!

tinkerbell :icon_chick:

•  

Catherine

OH Puhleeeze....

What has falling in love with a Lesbian got to do with being Transgender ???

To me it has more to do with love.
>:(
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Catherine on November 27, 2006, 04:49:34 AM
OH Puhleeeze....

Catherine, I can relate to this.  I found myself infatuated with a lesbian.  She loved me but wasn't the least bit interested in a physical relationship.  It was very confusing for me.  It wasn't long after that I finally accepted the fact I'm TS and I need to transition.  I can't say my relationship with a lesbian triggered this but I can relate to being TS and finding lesbians attractive.

From what I read it seems the show is looking to portray us accurately.  And the fact they chose the character to be a lesbian TS will hopefully teach the general public there is a difference between sexual orientation and gender identity.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Catherine

Quote from: Julie Marie on November 27, 2006, 06:55:46 AM
Quote from: Catherine on November 27, 2006, 04:49:34 AM
OH Puhleeeze....

Catherine, I can relate to this.  I found myself infatuated with a lesbian.  She loved me but wasn't the least bit interested in a physical relationship.  It was very confusing for me.  It wasn't long after that I finally accepted the fact I'm TS and I need to transition.  I can't say my relationship with a lesbian triggered this but I can relate to being TS and finding lesbians attractive.

From what I read it seems the show is looking to portray us accurately.  And the fact they chose the character to be a lesbian TS will hopefully teach the general public there is a difference between sexual orientation and gender identity.

Julie

I know peope fall in love but I do think that having the person decide that they are a TG because they have a rejection is stretching the realms a bit..

From what I read (and this is certainly the case with me) is that most of us know what we are from a young age, it just takes us a long time to get the courage up to face it properly.

For me it was at 12 when I read an article and saw a documentary about it in the early 70's that gave me the realization.

Anyway I guess its fiction and at least they are making the effort.

•  

umop ap!sdn

I'm wondering how they'll keep up with the character's changing appearance in the long term. If the actor is not making the transition in real life, then the makeup department will have their hands full trying to simulate the effects HRT has on a person's face.

I might decide to tune in and watch.
  •  

Kate

"Carlson said it can be intimidating feeling that he is representing the entire transgender community."

It sounds promising... that they realize this.

Neat!!! That takes care of 1/2 the population.

Now we just need a TS announcer on Monday Night Football and we're good!
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: umop ap!sdn on November 27, 2006, 10:58:49 AM
I'm wondering how they'll keep up with the character's changing appearance in the long term. If the actor is not making the transition in real life, then the makeup department will have their hands full trying to simulate the effects HRT has on a person's face.

I might decide to tune in and watch.

Julie, Jeffrey Carlson looks very androgynous in real life already, so I don't think that the makeup artists will have to work overtime or anything; it will basically be the same kind of physical transformation that Steven Mackintosh underwent when he played a transsexual woman in different for girls.   ;)

tinkerbell :icon_chick:
  •  

umop ap!sdn

•  

Kate Thomas

This is not Jeffrey's first transgender role.
In Rosie O'Donnell's broadway production of "TABOO". Jeffrey played Marilyn, Boy George's close friend a Tgirl.

http://www.jeffrey-carlson.com/projects/taboo.html

Quote"Jeffrey Carlson... threatens to steal the show at every turn"
-Matthew Link, gay.com

"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •