Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Be ready to cry

Started by Janet_Girl, July 28, 2010, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet_Girl

I received this from a friend and I thought to pass it along.

They told me the big  black Lab's name was Reggie, as I looked at him lying in his  pen.  The shelter was clean, no-kill, and the people  really friendly.
I'd only been in the area for six months, but  everywhere I  went in the small college town, people were welcoming   and  open.  Everyone waves  when you pass them on  the
street.

But something was still missin as I attempted to settle in to my new life here, and I thought a  dog couldn't hurt.  Give me someone to talk to. And I  had just seen Reggie's advertisement on the local news. The shelter said  they had received numerous calls  right after, but they said the people who had come
down to see  him just didn't look like "Lab
people,"  whatever that  meant.  They must've
thought I did.

But at first, I  thought the shelter had misjudged me  in giving me Reggie  and his things, which consisted     of a  dog pad, bag of toys almost all of which were  brand  new  tennis balls, his dishes, and a sealed letter from  his previous owner.  See, Reggie and I didn't really hit it off when we got home. We struggled for two weeks (which is how long the shelter  told me to give him to adjust to his new home).  Maybe it  was the fact that I was trying to adjust, too.  Maybe we  were too much alike.

For some reason, his stuff (except for  the tennis balls --- he wouldn't go anywhere without two  stuffed in his mouth) got tossed in with all of my other  unpacked boxes.  I guess I didn't really think  he'd need all his old stuff, that I'd get him new things  once he
settled in.  But it became pretty clear pretty  soon that he wasn't going to.

I tried the normal  commands the shelter told me he knew, ones like "sit" and  "stay" and
"come" and "heel," and he'd  follow them -  when he felt like it.  He never really seemed to listen  when I called his name --- sure, he'd look in my direction  after the fourth or fifth time I said it, but then he'd just go  back to doing whatever.  When I'd ask again, you  could almost see him sigh and then  grudgingly obey.

This just wasn't going to work.   He chewed a
couple shoes and some unpacked boxes.  I  was a little too stern with him and he resented it, I  could tell. The friction got so bad that I couldn't wait  for the two
weeks to be up, and when it was, I was in  full-on search mode for my cell phone amid all of my  unpacked stuff.  I remembered leaving it on the stack of  boxes for the guest
room, but I also mumbled, rather cynically,  that the "damn dog probably hid it on me."

Finally I  found it, but before I could punch up the shelter's number, I  also found his pad and other toys from the shelter...I tossed  the pad in Reggie's direction and he snuffed it and wagged,  some of the most enthusiasm I'd seen since bringing him home.   But then I called, "Hey, Reggie, you like that?"  Come
here and I'll give you a treat." Instead,  he
sort of glanced in my direction --- maybe "glared" is  more accurate --- and then gave a discontented sigh and flopped  down. With his back to me.

Well, that's not going to  do it either,  I
thought.  And I punched the shelter  phone number.

But I hung up when I saw the sealed  envelope. I had completely forgotten about that,  too.  "Okay, Reggie,"  I said out loud, "let's  see if your previous owner has any advice."....  .....

____________ _________  _________ _________

To Whoever Gets My Dog:

Well, I can't say that I'm happy you're  reading this, a letter I told the shelter could only be opened  by Reggie's new owner.
I'm not even happy writing  it.  If you're
reading this, it means I just got back  from my last car ride with my Lab after dropping him off at the  shelter.  He knew something was different.  I  have packed up his pad and toys before and set them by the back  door before a trip, but this time... it's like he knew  something was wrong.  And something is wrong...which is  why I have to go to try to make it right.

So let me tell  you about my Lab in the hopes that it  will help you bond  with him and he with you.

First, he loves tennis  balls.
The more the merrier.  Sometimes I think he's  part squirrel, the way he hordes them.  He usually  alwayshas two in his mouth, and he tries to get a third  in there.  Hasn't done it  yet.  Doesn't matter where you throw them, he'll  bound after it, so be careful - really don't do it by any  roads.  I made that mistake once, and it almost cost  him dearly.

Next, commands.  Maybe the shelter  staff  already told you,  but I'll go over them
again:  Reggie knows the obvious  ones ---
"sit,"  "stay,"   "come," "heel."    He knows hand  signals: "back" to turn around and go back when you put your  hand straight up; and "over" if you put your hand out right or  left.  "Shake" for shaking water off,  and "paw" for  a high-five.  He does "down" when he feels like lying down  --- I bet you could work on that with him some more.  He  knows "ball" and "food" and "bone" and "treat" like   nobody's business.

I trained Reggie with small  food treats.  Nothing opens his ears like little  pieces  of hot  dog.

Feeding schedule:  twice a day,  once about seven in  the morning, and again at six in
the evening.   Regular  store-bought stuff; the shelter has the brand.

He's up  on his shots. Call the clinic on 9th Street and update his info  with yours; they'll make sure to send you reminders for  when
he's due.  Be forewarned:  Reggie hates  the
vet.  Good luck getting him in the car --- I  don't know how he knows when it's time to go to the vet,  but he knows.

Finally, give him some time.
I've never  been married, so it's only been Reggie
and me for his whole  life.  He's gone everywhere
with me, so please include him  on your daily car rides if
you can.  He sits well in the  backseat, and he
doesn't bark or complain.  He just loves  to be
around people, and me most especially.

Which means  that this transition is
going to be hard, with him going to  live with someone
new.

And that's why I need to  share
one more bit of info with you....

His name's  not
Reggie.

I don't know what made me do it,  but  when I dropped  him off at the shelter, I told them
his name  was Reggie.    He's a smart dog,  he'll get used to it  and will respond to  it, of that I have no
doubt.  But I just couldn't bear to  give them his
real name.  For me to do that, it seemed so  final, that
handing him over to the shelter was as good as me  admitting
that I'd never see him again.  And if I end  up
coming back, getting him, and tearing up this letter,  it
means everything's fine.  But if someone else  is
reading it, well ... well it means that his new owner  should
know his real name.  It'll help you bond  with
him.  Who knows, maybe you'll even notice a  change
in his demeanor if he's been giving  you
problems.

His real name is "Tank".

Because  that is what  I
drive.

Again, if you're reading  this
and you're from the area, maybe my name has been on  the
news.  I told the shelter that they couldn't  make "Reggie" available for adoption until they received  word from my company commander.  See, my parents are gone,  I have no siblings, no one I could've left Tank with ... and it  was my only real request of the Army upon my deployment to Iraq  , that they make one phone... call the shelter ... in the  "event" ... to tell them that Tank could be put up for  adoption.  Luckily, my colonel is a dog guy, too, and he  knew where my platoon was headed.  He said he'd do  it personally.  And if you're  reading this,  then he made good on his word.

Well, this letter is  getting downright depressing,  even though,  frankly, I'm just
writing it for my dog.  I couldn't  imagine if I was writing it for a wife and kids and family ...  but still, Tank has been my family for the last six years,  almost as long as the Army has been my family.

And now I  hope and pray that you make him part of your family and that he  will adjust and come to love you the same way he loved  me.

That unconditional love from a dog is what I take  with me to Iraq as an inspiration to do something selfless, to  protect innocent people from those who would do terrible things  .... and to keep those terrible people from coming over here.   If I have to give up Tank in order to do it, I  am  glad to have done so.  He is my example of service and of  love.  I hope I honored him by my service to my country  and comrades.

All right, that's enough.
I deploy  this evening and have to drop this letter off at the  shelter.  I don't  think I'll say another
good-bye to  Tank, though.  I cried too much the first time. Maybe I'll peek in on him and see if he finally got that  third tennis ball in his
mouth.

Good luck with Tank.   Give him a good home, and give him an extra kiss  goodnight - every night - from  me.

Thank you,   Paul Mallory
____________ _________ _________  _______

I  folded the letter and slipped it back in  the envelope.  Sure I had heard of Paul Mallory, everyone  in town knew him, even new people like me.  Local kid,  killed in Iraq a few months ago and  posthumously earning  the Silver Star when he gave his life to save three buddies.   Flags had been at half-mast all summer.

I leaned  forward in my chair and rested my elbows on my knees, staring  at the dog.

"Hey, Tank," I said  quietly.

The  dog's head whipped up, his ears cocked and his eyes  bright.

"C'mere boy."

He was  instantly on his  feet, his nails clicking on the hardwood floor.  He  sat in front of me, his head tilted, searching for the name  he hadn't heard in months.

"Tank," I  whispered.

His tail swished.

I kept whispering his  name, over and over, and each time, his ears lowered, his  eyes softened, and his posture relaxed as a wave of contentment  just seemed to flood him.  I stroked his ears, rubbed his  shoulders, buried my face into his scruff and hugged  him.

"It's me now, Tank, just you and me.
Your old  pal gave you to me."  Tank reached up and licked my  cheek.  "So whatdaya say we play some ball?"  His  ears perked again.
"Yeah?  Ball?  You like  that? Ball?"  Tank tore the ball from my hands and disappeared  in the next room.

And when he came back, he had three  tennis balls in his  mouth.
  •  

V M

Virginia can't contain the flood of tears streaming down her checks and gives super massive {{{HUGS}}} to Janet and Tank
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cindy

My Dear Janet and Tank,
Thank you. May you have a marvelous life together and rejoice in the bravery of Paul Mallory. I think there are three special beings in this triangle.

Hugs

Cindy
  •  

Muffin

*wipes tears away*.... you got me. *hugs*.
  •  

michael 19 jones

Aren't Animals the most precious things on this planet and in this reality. Well except for baby humans of course. I have a pet like that. He is cat. he has been the only person who has never judged me. He seemed to know when I was upset the most and find a way into my room, just to cuddle with me. He is now around the between the ages of 11 and 14. Now all that he wants to do is sleep outside.

well here is a pic of him back in 2008.

Thanks for the tears. I needed them. Best of luck to you and Tank. Post a pic as soon as you get one.
  •  

Scotty72

I remember reading this about a year ago, it was very sad, but very beautiful at the same time.  It is nice to get to read it again.
Gone Fishing
  •  

StrickyCub

•  

Konnor

I feel pretty stupid sitting here crying about something on my computer, but that was really touching. Thanks for posting it!
"It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more manhood to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind." --Alex Karras
  •  

Raven

You bout had me Janet. That was a good story sad though. I hope you and Tank have an good life together. Give Tank a hug for me, will you?
  •  

some ftm guy

wow that IS a really sad AND beautiful story.
dogs are awesome. i have one too and I'd HATE giving him up. it's heart braking. give Tank a scratch from me.
  •  

Shang

That's really touching....and I'm crying....
  •  

Al James

Just found this story and have to say- not much makes me cry but this did.
  •  

Tad

I'll admit that it got a few tears from me too, even though I've read it before and even though it's a work of fiction. Blah.
  •  

cynthialee

So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

xAndrewx

Guess I can still cry. This thing makes me tear up every time I read it  :'(