Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Huffington Post: 17-Month-Old Boy Is Beaten to Death for "Acting Like a Girl"

Started by Cameron James, August 10, 2010, 11:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron James

August 5, 2010

At approximately 8:25 p.m. last Sunday night, the New York State Police on Long Island logged a 911 call about a toddler in cardiac arrest. The boy, 17-month-old Roy Jones, was rushed from the Shinnecock Indian Reservation in Southampton, N.Y. to Southampton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:11 p.m.

According to authorities, the toddler had endured a savage beating. His tiny body had been repeatedly punched with closed fists and grabbed by the neck. By the time 911 had been called at dusk, he was already in cardiac arrest from the sheer brutality of the assault and it was too late to save his life.

Charged with manslaughter in the first degree and held without bail is the toddler's mother's live-in boyfriend, 20-year-old Pedro Jones, who was babysitting. The pair lived together on Shinnecock Nation tribal land, though Jones himself was not a member of the tribe. They were reportedly to marry, and Jones called the toddler "my baby," though Roy was not, in fact his baby.

"I was trying to make him act like a boy instead of a little girl," Jones explained. "I never struck that kid that hard before. A one-time mistake, and I am going to do 20 years."

He told troopers that the little boy had been too feminine and that he'd been trying to toughen Roy up by literally beating the life out of him.

"I'm sorry," he said "That's my baby. I loved him to death."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-rowe/what-it-says-about-us-whe_b_671373.html?ref=fb

Absolutely sickening. The article goes on to comment on what such an act says about society - which is great. But, still. Damn.

•  

eshaver

See ya on the road folks !!!
  •  

Cruelladeville

In the UK there was a tragic case of Baby P (Peter)...who was regularly tortured and and beaten, which led to his death at just 18 months old or so...

It brought down a (govt) social worker unit director, and a hospital Dr that failed to pick-up the kids back was broken... she did say he was particularly sullen and withdrawn for a bay his age though (doh)...??

The man whom did this too the child was not the baby's natural father.... so I think its fair to state that in some instances (not as infrequent as you might think) men with base aggressive feral natures, with psychopathic tendencies can be overtly hostile to children not of their own making...

(Whether showing atypical baby behaviour or not)

It's an awful aspect of life that for me is way too common..... but what the answer is with this, well there are no simple easy answers...?

As these men can have their own brutal history's with dysfunctional family backgrounds too...

How a child is nurtured or not...does have impacts on the future adult....
  •  

Renate

•  

Silver

So screwed up. And he says he regularly beat the boy as well.

Quote from: kyril on August 30, 2010, 10:30:17 AM
Huh? WTF?

Same, I don't get it either. What does this story have to do with liberals, Ellen? I'm curious.
  •  

Cameron James

Quote from: Silver on August 30, 2010, 10:48:15 AM
So screwed up. And he says he regularly beat the boy as well.

I'm particularly fond of how he says it was just a one-time mistake and now he's going to prison for it - like he doesn't think that's a just punishment.

The whole thing is absolutely heartbreaking.

Quote from: kyril on August 30, 2010, 10:30:17 AM
Huh? WTF?

And I third this. I don't particularly see how political affiliation has anything to do with the murder of a 17-month-old child. With the exception that the story was from the Huffington Post - which tends to fall on the "liberal" side when it comes to columnists.

•