Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A universe not made for us

Started by Octavianus, August 16, 2010, 10:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavianus

A very sensible movie on our view on science and the universe and how religion has an influence on this:

Carl Sagans message for humanity:
  •  

tekla

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

meh

•  

VeryGnawty

In other words, Columbus was not a genius.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Nicky

There is this cool campagn in my country for atheism - it is called the atheist billboard campagn:

http://www.nogod.org.nz/

Check out one of their sweet billboards
http://www.nogod.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/billboard-we-are-all-atheists.png

You often see them on buses.

"We are all atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further. There's probably no god, now stop worrying and enjoy your life"
  •  

Alyx.

Oh cool! I want that done in my country!
If you do not agree to my demands... TOO LATE
  •  

Octavianus

•  

glendagladwitch

Quote from: tekla on August 17, 2010, 01:01:51 AM
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

This is the one time I think Sagan really stuck his foot in it.  Bozo was a TOTAL comedic genius.  I mean, the horn work alone ....
  •  

lisagurl

I had Carl Sagan in college for "Intelligent life in the Universe" He was very arrogant.
  •  

Hermione01

Quote from: VeryGnawty on August 18, 2010, 12:17:54 AM
In other words, Columbus was not a genius.

I think that's what he meant. Idk. Or maybe, his ideas were laughed at so he's considered a genius as well as the other pioneers or entertainers and he makes light of it.  ???
  •  

fionabell

I want to watch that before they put me on the electric chair. I'd find it more comforting than religion. It's like, I won't exist anymore but in the scope of things you hardly do either and soon won't at all. I understand now why some people are so rabidly and actively atheist.  >:-)
  •  

justmeinoz

Well Fiona you won't have to worry about that because we are a civilised country.   :)
Personally I think the Anthropic Principle nails it pretty well; we are in a Universe that will support our life form, because it is the sort of Universe that will support our life form.  If it didn't we wouldn't be here to talk about it.  Surprised it wasn't thought of by an Irishman, because it makes perfect sense, to be sure. ;D

Karen.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Jennifer

I believe that Carl Sagan makes some very valid points.

Jennifer
  •