Emotional abuse
45 (136.4%)
Abandonment by parent(s)
8 (24.2%)
I was not abused
35 (106.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Cailyn

I am raising a very sensitive issue here but one I've heard raised many times in talking to trans men and women--a history of abuse of some sort.  I volunteer at a local LGBTQQI center and a man confided in me (he identifies as trans but is still using a male identity) that he had been sexually and physically abused at age 12 and that this abuse had made him "feel like a girl".  This obviously does not conform to the standard model of transsexuallity and perhaps in counseling he will decide he isn't trans.  However, I've heard stories of abuse that seem to exceed the average for the general public at large (my impression only).  I hope everyone will vote to put enough numbers in for a meaningful result.  I assume the vote is confidential and no one need comment on their own life history.  Please indicate if you were never abused to give this poll some balance.  I will vote after several others have to hide my vote.

Cailyn
  •  

Debtv

I was not abused. Fact is, I lived a great, normal  middle class life. I did not get beat on and no sexual abuse. My Dad was pretty critical of me most my life....but who's dad wasn't?

Love
DebTV
  •  

Terri-Gene

Interesting Poll Cailyn, I've often wondered about this subject myself.  I didn't participate in your poll though because I'm not sure how to answer it with the choices given.  On the surface I would think I may have suffered physical and emotional abuse to an extent as a child, but from what I know of child abuse in my early days as a county peace officer, I don't think it measured up to what I have seen and I'm not sure I'm objective about my own experience.

Originally I was a very soft child and my feelings were easily hurt.  My Mother and father had been divorced since I was an infant and my mother moved around a lot and was always involved with some boyfriend or other and over the years had 4 other children, all boys, my half brothers.  I was the only one born out of wedlock and my father always maintained contact with me and provided for me above and beyond child support.  When living near him I stayed with him on weekends and when living out of town or out of state, he provided plane or bus tickets so that I could spend summers with him.  He had been 45 years old when I was born and I was his only child and he loved me very much and cared for me and provided me with anything I needed or wanted within reason.

My Mother, who basically tolerated my presense because of the money my father provided her, (he basically supported her) for my keep was a totally different story.  She was a full time Party type Girl with a taste for violent, Macho Men.  She spent little time with myself or my brothers and when she was entertaining a boyfriend, we were not allowed in the house and had to fend for ourselves on the streets.

My brothers did ok in this, but myself, the oldest, was often pushed around and taken advantage of.  At times, I would get chased home by other boys or come home with my clothing torn and bruised up or bleeding and I had a tendancy to cry a lot about such things, which would make my mother furious.  She insisted I stand firm and defend myself and was insulted that one of her sons would run or cry when the going got tough.  She would often beat me severely for coming home like this and insisted I not move around, try to get away or cry when she did.

She had one of her boyfriends, a golden glove type, teach me the basics of how to defend myself and he slapped me around a lot to get me used to dealing with pain and to show me that just because something hurt, didn't mean I was incapacitated and could still fight back.  It was a painful process, but I learned enough to at least stand my ground in the parks and playgrounds and in time I even began to enjoy a good "contest".  As I got better at it and it became to much trouble, effort etc. for the bigger boys to prove superiority over me, they became less prone to picking on me.  They found that even if able to put me down, I could never be made to actually give up.  

The truth is, I was afraid to go home and tell mother I had been beaten or had worse, gave up or submitted to anyone, and I was afraid to not tell her as I was afraid of what she would do if I lied to her or she found out I didn't tell her, so by the time I got to high school, I would be more likely to die on my feet before losing any kind of fight.  If overmatched by skills, Size or weight,  I was using "rope a dope" many years before Ali. I would outlast them, since I was willing to be beaten to a pulp and still carry on in order to simply wear them out till I had a chance to take it to them.  If I were to do otherwise, Mother would beat me far worse with broom handles, switches and once even a rawhide whip (Mule Skinner) my Grandfather had helped me make and taught me to use when I was 8.  Nobody but my mother ever terrified me by then.

In my freshman year of school I ran away and made my way back to southern california to stay with my father, a totally different environment.  I had a lot of problems adjusting to the new more reasonable environment as the boys were still pushy but nothing at all like the mining camp and construction crew sets I had grown up around and I had little or nothing to fear from these as the button down collar middle class white boys didn't impress me at all compaired to those I had grew up with.

I had always had a soft emotional nature, but had deeply surpressed it while growing up, but in the milder social culture of my fathers part of town, it returned somewhat and I learned to "switch" myself between two extreams almost instantly as was needed when the occassional problem arose.

Things got interesting from there on, but thats the background of childhood that kind of set the stage for how I developed in life.

While my mother was definately a very mean spirited person with whom I have had little or no contact with through most of my adult life, ( she was close to using a shotgun on me at the end of the 60's) I'm not sure how 'abusive" she was in relation to what a lot of other kids of that time and the cultural environments she was prone to hang out in were prone to.  I know that she in no way considered herself abusive and would have said she was only teaching me to be a man by the standards of manhood of her people, but I know from my grandmother and grandfather, that they themselves didn't approve of her methods, and before Grandmother died, and Grandfather went back to Texas, they never allowed her to beat me in their presensance and even punished her for trying to do so. 

By thier practice, children were basically unrestricted in their behavior, unless it represented a danger or threat to others, or themselves, and taught proper behavior by example.  good behavior was praised and honored and bad behavior ment rejection and non inclusion.  A child learned to behave properly or not be included in the rewards of tribal membership and participation.  Children were in part, raised by the entire community with the parents having major responsibility and influence.  Each was a part of the whole and the whole supported the part.

My mother never broke any of my bones, cut me bad enough to require stitches, denied me food or lodging or any of the things I would recognize as abuse.  I recognize that to her, having a "sissy" son was a disgrace in the white world, though accepted in her own, and it aggrivated some of her live-in boyfriends, though she never allowed any of them to touch me or punish me in anyway, that right she always reserved for herself. and so to her, the beatings for such behavior were for my own good, and she did take me to countless therapy sessions as a child to work out why I was so unmale like in my nature, as she believed none of the spiritual teachings of her peoples traditions.  She was totally sold into the White world and culture rather then integrated into it as were her parents.

Terri
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Terri-Gene on August 14, 2005, 02:38:02 PM
   They found that even if able to put me down, I could never be made to actually give up.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog--- Which applies to more than this subject

Leigh
  •  

Cailyn

Terri-Gene:  By any contemporary guidelines, your mother's behaviour constituted abuse.  As a peace-officer, I'm sure you saw much worse but that doesn't mean the way you were treated wasn't abuse.  Too many people write off their experience because others had it much worse.  A significant factor is how you felt about the way you were treated.  Some people can survive abuse with little psychic damage, others suffer terrible psychic damage and have lifetime scars.  This has less to do with the intensity of the abuse than how it's perceived and a person who suffers serious mental harm as a result of abuse or bad behaviour isn't weaker or defective, just different--trauma is unique for everyone.

I have no agenda here and am not trying to show cause and effect between abuse (particularly sexual or emotional abuse) and gender disorders.  Many children are sexually abused (somewhere between 15-30% depending upon who you believe) and transgender is a small subset of the general population.  Perhaps abuse can lead to trans identity but it is equally possible that trans identities invite abuse.  It is most likely that these factors fall onto a complex Venn diagram of intertwined circles where most options are possible in at least a few cases.  That's why any group of doctors or researchers who claim they have the answers as biological or psychological should be viewed with deep suspicious and I have to mention Blanchard-Bailey-Lawrence as the worst of the bunch.  The idea though that the abuse connection is a "bogus marketing scare ploy churned out by an unholy alliance of the psychiatry dictatorship and the propertarian elite" really ignores serious research and closes the door on a subject not well studied.  An open mind to all possibilities is the best place to start.

Cailyn
  •  

Terri-Gene

Thank you Cailyn and I recognise what you are saying about abuse.  I know it had very much to do with my inability and all out war with myself to accept my natural inclinations during most of my adult life.  It had created a mindset in me that it was wrong and could not be allowed to be a part of my life, and the depths to which I went to go in the other direction created much more serious problems then the Gid itself.  It was what made me lack true commitment at the end of my teens and prevented me from accepting it in any way shape or form for so many years afterwards until some of the problems about my feelings about myself were worked out in therapy enough for me to address the transition issue again, since then, I have begun to learn to get a grip on the problem.

These problems continue into the present day and often trigger violent emotions and actions whenever I come to close to my emotional side.  There have been very few instances where I have been able to fully emotionally connect with myself without the negative results and when it has happened, I find I do not know how to handle emotional feelings and I can to easily get all to caught up in them, but I'm slowly learning.  I got a call from the psych department today and they have found a new psychologist for me better tailored to my particular problems in this, my first apointment is thursday before work.  I'm looking forward to it and meeting this new person.

Terri
  •  

stephanie

I was never abused by my parents or family growing up (unless you consider an occasional spanking to be abuse, which I do not).  I think the majority of abuse in my childhood years came from my school peers.  I was often teased and made to not feel like I fit in with the hip crowd.  This was back in the day when video games were considered geeky (whereas now everyone plays them) so I often caught hell for being a "nintendo freak."  I often fell victim to many of the "cool" sets of kids who picked on my simply because I didn't fight back (I believe in non-aggression).  This culminated in high school when one kid (a member of the football team no less) got me riled up and I took a swing at him.  I hit him pretty good, but he hit me even better three times in the face.  My malar (cheekbone) was almost completely disconnected from my skull and would have made me blind in my left eye if it had been.  We both got suspended.  He left me alone after that.  Amazing how that works.

Whether the abuse was the cause or effect of my effeminate nature is hard to say.
  •  

Debtv

Terri-Gene...my sister,

What honesty...the ability to be honest. Terry you are a tough wench! I admire you for that. You know as well as I do, that alot of what you know....is because you have lived it.

You and me are alot different...but we are so way alike. We are strong...yet tender.

Terry in my kowing you here, I think you have covered many miles and you have a mean common sence streak in you. It is why I like your post and input here....although I sometimes do not agree with you.

Your post in this thread is like a flashlight on your life. I know you have told us before....but I feel I can see it now. You know? We are all trying to find happienes...in a calm way too.

This will get lost in all our post here at susans....but I want to hear you say this Terri...and I will say it 1st.......

"My tg life is hard and I have done my best at dealling with it. But, I am doing my best....and I am happy...and I do not care about all those who don't want me to be me"

You have paid the price....and are a better person for it...even if you can see it or not.

Love
DebTV
  •  

ginaroxx79

I agree with deb. I've seen an amazing strength in your posts. You speak your mind without hesitation or remorse and I admire that.
  •  

Terri-Gene

Quote This will get lost in all our post here at susans....but I want to hear you say this Terri...and I will say it 1st.......

"My tg life is hard and I have done my best at dealling with it. But, I am doing my best....and I am happy...and I do not care about all those who don't want me to be me"

Deb, I told you a couple or few  years ago I identify somewhat with you, just not with your goal, which I could find no completeness in, or purpose of, and I called you Sis at the time, and ment it, though you well know my feelings about CD's at the time, we punched it to death, you and I, but always came away still able to talk about it, and I have grown, realizing that most of my retoric was politically based, out of self interest, due to the battle we were in here for identity rights in california, passing the law that went into effect statewide in January 2004.

I can't say what you ask though, for it would not be true for me ... Life is not that hard for me as long as I simply deal with it,  I had options and influentual friends when I started and was able to make my own luck in the beginning, I am not doing my best as there is much more I could be doing, and I am in no way happy in the condition I am in and I do very much care for those who would rather I be something else.

I would want things to be so very different then they are, but life is what it is and I must accept that, like it or not, and I have to do what I must even if it pains me to do it and there are bonds I must cut completely and forever if I am to ever commit to any other.  there can be only one in my life, no divided interests or loyalties.  It all hurts, it's all pain and it all must be done.  As always, I'm just so Damn Glad I was born TG, it has been such a wonderful influence on my life, there is my truth for you.

Terri, one who is finally growing up and out of childhood.

•  

Sarah Louise

Here I go again.  I think every person who is TS suffers mental abuse from many sources.  My parents hated the way I acted and forced me to go to shrinks who also bereated me and tried to shame me into stopping.

As for physical abuse, my sister says my parents abused me, I have no opinion on that subject.

With sexual abuse, I was raped by a neighbor man.  He was the father of one of my best girlfriends.  She helped me a lot with my TS issues and helped me with clothes and makeup during high school.  No details forthcoming.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Hypatia

Getting raped did not make me trans. It was the other way around-- I was raped because I was perceived as feminine and vulnerable.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

InMyWrittenHeart

Sexual abuse
Physical abuse
Emotional abuse
Abandonment by parent
  •  

AbraCadabra

Quote from: InMyWrittenHeart on January 25, 2012, 12:39:37 PM
Sexual abuse
Physical abuse
Emotional abuse
Abandonment by parent

Other then NO sexual abuse, exactly the same for me too.

Axelle
Some say: "Free sex ruins everything..."
  •  

Natkat

I had some sexual experience with some guys around my own age, so around 11 years rougly at that time,
the experience itself wasnt so bad, but one of the guy told the other he had made me pregnant and it made me scared as h**, + I lost a friend that way since we where the "bad guys" hanging around and we didnt want anyone innocent with us.
--
beside that I dont remember any kind of abuse, but I belive as trans you wont get so good trust in adults or parrents since you need to keep yourself a secret since your small.
  •  

Natkat

Quote from: Cailyn on August 14, 2005, 10:36:31 AM
I am raising a very sensitive issue here but one I've heard raised many times in talking to trans men and women--a history of abuse of some sort.  I volunteer at a local LGBTQQI center and a man confided in me (he identifies as trans but is still using a male identity) that he had been sexually and physically abused at age 12 and that this abuse had made him "feel like a girl".  This obviously does not conform to the standard model of transsexuallity and perhaps in counseling he will decide he isn't trans.  However, I've heard stories of abuse that seem to exceed the average for the general public at large (my impression only).  I hope everyone will vote to put enough numbers in for a meaningful result.  I assume the vote is confidential and no one need comment on their own life history.  Please indicate if you were never abused to give this poll some balance.  I will vote after several others have to hide my vote.

Cailyn

abuse dosent make anyone trans, gay, or any of those kinds, its just humans way to blame it.

many people get abused of all kinds, but when straight people get abused there just still straight, and when gay/trans people have been then those are "for sure connected" that the abuse made them turn gay/trans.
  •  

supremecatoverlord

Quote from: inmywrittenheart on January 25, 2012, 12:39:37 PM
Sexual abuse
Physical abuse
Emotional abuse
Abandonment by parent
Why do you keep resurrecting old topics?
>>
Meow.

•  

Atomic Kitten

Hello

I was physically and more so emotionally tortured as a child by older sibling that I still suffer from this today.
This is one of the reason's why I live solitary existence to this day.
It was that bad that I remember I had problems bed-wetting from the age of four right up until I was ten years
old because of the trauma caused by my "EVIL" brother.
He cannot hurt me anymore.

Namaste'

Atomic Kitten   
  •  

Padma

What Hypatia said. A psychotherapist told me it was a lot more statistically likely that I was abused because of my gender ambivalence (and consequent vulnerability) than that my gender ambivalence was caused by my abuse (which in any case came later).

There may well be a higher incidence of abuse among trans people, but this is likely to be because they were more vulnerable as children. Abuse leads to a more confused relationship with one's gender and sexuality, but it doesn't cause that gender or sexuality.
Womandrogyne™
  •