Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Angels & Demons

Started by Julie Marie, December 11, 2006, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

The sequel or prequel to Dan Brown's "The DaVinci Code"?  I don't know which, if either, but, like "The DaVinci Code", it's good reading and filled with facts woven into fiction so it makes for a believable story.  I'm reading it for the second time and it's still enjoyable. 

I've seen ads saying they will be releasing the movie soon.

After reading both books I wonder how Brown REALLY feels about the Catholic Church.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Suzy

I actually thought it was a better book than the Da Vinci Code, which was a bit laughable to anyone who knew anything about history.  And it was a prequel.  It is actually a lot more factual.  And it is amazing to me that it caused no stir at all from people like the Masons.

Kristi
  •  

beatrix

Haven't really read either, so take that into account.

I know of the history of the DiVinci code thing through a book called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," which itself proposes Jesus' decedents are related to royalty in Europe (and more specifically the Monrovians [I'm sure I'm mis-spelling that] in France).  Which is interesting, if you get off on the conspiracy thing.  The authors of that book (there are three) actually sued Dan Brown from something to do with stealing the story.  I think that's kind of lame, the suing bit that is.

Which leads us to the Church of Mary Magdeline, which was built a while ago and really is the only church (despite her gospel that wasn't included in the usual canon) to bare her name.  If you look at all of this, you'll find some interesting bits on the Knights Templar and some freemason stuff. 

I got into a lot of this on account of liking Robert Anton Wilson a little too much.  His new "email to the universe" has some of the things he's written on the conspiracy thing that Brown's book went into. 

I bet the reason why the freemasons didn't really get into the Dan Brown fiasco is probably they didn't care.  There are enough books that put down the masons for any number of totally unsubstantiated (and some substantiated) things and it's not really worth their effort.  But, you know, IANAM (I am not a Mason).
  •  

Cindi Jones

I read both of Dan Brown's books a few years ago.  I enjoyed reading them both.  I hated how the Davinci Code ended.  It was sort of up in the air.  The books sort of reminded me of Robert Ludlum's work.  Altogether implausible but a lot of fun to read.

My son gave me another work of his for Christmas.  I haven't started it yet. But I'm sure that I'll read it and enjoy it.  I'll have to line up something a bit more literary after that.  I have a leather bound copy of The Robber Barons that I've never read.  I think that will come in next.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Suzy

Right now I'm reading Dan Brown's novel "Deception Point" which is thus far WAY better than wither of those mentioned above.
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Kristi on December 31, 2006, 06:26:46 PM
Right now I'm reading Dan Brown's novel "Deception Point" which is thus far WAY better than wither of those mentioned above.

I think he's a great writer.  You pick up one of his books and soon you're living it.  That's a rare gift.  I just finished "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt.  He's most famous for "Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil".  Now I'm looking for my next read.  From what I've seen from Brown so far, "Deception Point" looks like a good choice.  Thanks Kristi!

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •