News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A BILL CENSORING THE INTERNET IS CLOSE TO PASSING. PLEASE READ! URGENT

Started by deviousxen, September 28, 2010, 10:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deviousxen

http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/

I'm serious about this. Once a few bricks are taken from a wall, the whole things ripe for the taking or breaking. If people were to be allowed to censor our internet out of reasons of "Security", thats just the first step we take towards a damned police state. Don't disregard that as paranoia or anything, because history speaks for itself. Please sign that petition. Say what you will about fundamentalist Islam, but this in itself is far more TERRIFYING. Plus... We're trans. We're the cannon fodder of our society. We struggle to even be understood. And one of the only ways to be understood and where to find information on transitioning is the internet. Its a slippery slope from here if this passes so do everything you can to stop it!
  •  

Shana A

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

spacial

Me too.

It is truely worrying how so many excuses have been wheeled out to justify censoring the net.
  •  

Miniar

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Aegir

Quote from: Laura91 on September 28, 2010, 10:23:15 AM
Politicians will always do what they think is right for everyone else, a petition doesn't mean anything to them. If they want to censor the internet then they will do so. If they want to take your guns away they will do so. If they want to restrict movement they will do so. If they want to starve you to death they will do so. Don't forget to wave those flags and say how much you love America.

You sure?  ;)
  •  

Sada

•  

Kentrie

Push it baby, push it baby, out of control, I got my gun cocked tight and I'm ready to blow. ;)
  •  

Kay

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-3804
I think the hoopla regarding this bill is a bit overstated. 
It isn't close to passing.  It's in committee.  Most bills die in committee.
Even if it makes it out of committee, there is no guarantee it will make
it to the floor of the House and/or Senate...much less be passed.
(Only 3-5% of Bills that are introduced each year become law)
Second, in many ways, parts of the internet are like the Wild West.
Youtube is a pretty good example.  A lot of copyright infriged material
is posted there.    The bill seeks to give the government another tool
to fight illegal activities.  (And as much as I like Youtube, they don't
really have an effective system in place to halt such rampant
illegal activities.)
The "slippery slope" argument is overused as poor logical reasoning for/against
many things.  (ie.  If they let gays marry, who will be next?  pigs?  dogs? blah blah blah)
While I do agree with ol' Ben that "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." That doesn't really apply here.
"Security" is not a topic that the bill addresses.  I agree, if it did, that would be too far reaching
and vague.  However, the bill is fairly specific about the topics that it covers.
It's only about documented cases regarding copyright and counterfeits that are referred by the
Attorney General to a court.  And with the courts involved, that means there is a means for appeal. 
While some denizens of the Wild West may like it completely free without rules, people do get
lynched there (ie the headlines regarding harassment lately), the stagecoach does tend to get
robbed  (copyrights), and simple townfolk get swindled (counterfeits).  Even if the current
lack of law does benefit me in many ways, I can see the need for some form of structure in
order to curtail illegal activities.  When an issue is rampant and unchanging on a particular
site, sometimes the house of ill-repute has to be closed in order to cease the illegal activity.
In the real world the police give warnings, but then have the means to follow-up if those
warnings are not heeded.
Currtenly, the government doesn't have the means to enforce their laws in this Wild West.
Complete and utter freedom without any sort of accountability
does create some issues on the internet.  It can be a strength in some ways, but it has also
proven that it can be a danger as well.
Personally, I don't care if the bill passes or doesn't. 
If it doesn't, nothing changes for me.
If it does, I probably won't be watching as much anime on Youtube. :P

•  

Pundit

•  

A

Signed. But I don't think it'll change anything.

The United States are a place where everything can be bought, including votes and senators. If a rich person wants this law to pass, it'll pass.
A's Transition Journal
Last update: June 11th, 2012
No more updates
  •  

Pundit

Quote from: A on October 23, 2010, 09:01:15 PM
Signed. But I don't think it'll change anything.

The United States are a place where everything can be bought, including votes and senators. If a rich person wants this law to pass, it'll pass.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. And looking at the list of supporters of the bill (Motion Picture Association of America, US Chamber of Commerce, Screen Actors Guild, Viacom, International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, and Moving Picture Technicians, Artists, and Allied Crafts of the United States), a lot of rich people want this bill to become a law.
  •