Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

strangely easy to transition....?....

Started by Muffin, September 29, 2010, 10:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin

[note: this is about the side of transition from a medical point of view only].

I've read a lot of stories here about people having issues with doctors during transition etc yet I've found that now that I have my SRS referral and now that I look back over the past two years I think wow.
I'd say living in Australia may play a big part in that as most stories filled with hard times come from the US and UK.
This is my experience in a nutshell. I first saw a GP then three months later I was officially on HRT. I never was suggested to see a therapist and never did.. the only people I have seen so far are.. GPs, psychiatrist (three times in total), endocrinologist (twice) and obviously blood tests that's it.

I mentioned to my mum last night just how simple it has seemed and she mentioned something about no turning back and it got me thinking about how when you go for SRS you get asked the "are you sure?" question a million times and signing your name a million times to this effect.
It seems strange thinking about it how it has been so easy to get on HRT and get to the point of surgery and then get asked this question!! I know it makes sense..but how many people say "well actually you know...now you mention it. I just spent almost two years on HRT, spent way too much money on all of this, flew to another country..etc.etc....yeah actually nah I think I'll not go through with it". lol it seems funny... and personally to me it would make more sense to ask that question more at the start of it. I don't think I've really been asked that question... and I've never signed my name to that. I understand the whole surgery is not reversible but neither is HRT ok sure it can to some point but not entirely.

Maybe this is just another example of how strange the whole process of transition is when it comes to doctors and formalities. P
Not that I'm complaining no way!! I wouldn't change anything in this experience if I could.... ok maybe I wouldn't of gone to my endo that second time that was pointless and it was a shame I had to go through several GPs but that is life for anyone.... you find a good GP and they move on oh well.
Maybe this thread could be used to compare transition from country to country, is the US really such a nightmare as a whole or is it just a handful of people that have had issues? Which countries have to jump through the most hoops and clap like a seal the most?
  •  

Asfsd4214

I live in Australia. I had to go through 1 GP and 2 psychiatrists and self medicate before I was given a referral.
  •  

Janet_Girl

USA, Oregon.  DIY HRT till I found a doctor.  One therapist, two doctors now,  half a dozen blood test.  On the 6th of November 2009, I had an Orchidectomy.   On the 8th I go to see my therapist for my first letter.

Are you sure?  Hell yes I am sure.
  •  

Nicky

I found it rather easy too, but I think I was lucky to be in touch with the right people. It is variable in NZ.

My counsellor, who I had been seeing for about a year as I went through a process of coming out and exploring, refered me to an endo at my request. I said "I want hormones" and she said "sure, see this guy, here is a letter". So I did. It took about 2 months to get an appointment, he asked I get some bloods before I go. I saw him and he asked me "what do you want to happen?" I told him and tadaa here was a script for hormones. Easy. The hard bit for me was making the decision to reach for them.

I then went to my doctor and he asked me "are you happy with the treatment you have", I said "yes" and that was it. He gives me repeats as I need it no problemo.

I saw a psyc 3 times for my letter. That was kind of easy too. I just talked about myself for a few hours and he was satisfied I met the criteria. He had conversations with my counsellor too as they are collegues, which helped speed things along.

I'm pretty happy with how supportive the medical people I have been in touch with have been. They can be pretty accomodating if you just ask what you need in my country. Like I decided I needed to get antidepressants, went to the doctor, told him what I thought. He concurred. Very un-gate keeper like people. Almost like "I trust you know what you need, and I can see no evidence to suggest otherwise, here you go"
  •  

Farm Boy

I'm in the US and I actually feel bad about how easy I've had it so far.  I found a gender therapist nearby and then found a local GLBT center that paid for me to go see her.  On the 3rd visit she told me she would feel comfortable writing me a letter.  I feel bad because that's as far as I've gone, because I'm not sure yet.  I don't know how easy it would be to take the letter to a doctor and actually get on HRT, though. 
Started T - Sept. 19, 2012
Top surgery - Jan. 16, 2017
  •  

Rock_chick

I'm in the UK and I'll be honest I've had no problems what so ever, I am self funding though so I'm not 100% reliant on the NHS though I will get blood tests and my prescription through them (private prescriptions are expensive). I'm lucky in that I have the means to self fund even though I will have to make sacrifices to get there. But in all honesty there's absolutely nothing wrong with the NHS route once your in the system, the tricky bit is getting in the system due to the way things are funded...but then what is a slight delay over not having to pay for your treatment
  •  

Muffin

I had an incident this week....

I needed to top up on my AAs supply last thursday, I had three pills left and was hoping to pick them up friday. I never run things this close but I obviously became complacent. Anyway my script had been filled out wrong and the pharmacy wanted to charge me full price $200+ no thanks. SO I quickly rang my GP to get a reprint but my GP had left that practice so it couldn't happen. I had to just make a new appointment for tuesday. I split my remaining pills to get me through until monday.

So over the weekend I came across an old script that was correct and still in date but I thought I'd just go to the appointment anyway and update everything.

Tuesday came and I went to see this new GP, I finally got in and he asked me what I needed etc... I explained it to him and he said he needed to see a referral letter to prescribe me such pills, I said it should be on my file... but it wasn't. I had the script that was filled out wrong right there, it proves that I have been referred and prescribed this in the past, for most GPs that is enough.
He was being really negative and saying he can't do this or that, instead of how about we try...etc..... he was obviously new and didn't really know what to do. I ended up getting annoyed and impatient and just stood up and said, "F__k this ...you can go f__k yourself........I just won't take my pills!", I heard him say wait! As I was trying to slam the door on the way out but it was one of those vacuum anti-slam style doors (not because my arms are so tiny now) which was annoying.
I just used my old script on the way home and sussed out I had enough repeats to see me through to surgery...phew!
I also found out where my old GP is so I'm going to track her down she was sooooo awesome.
I felt a lot better by wednesday! :P
  •  

Sada

bye
  •  

Muffin

it's hilarious since I posted this thread I've had nothing but problems lols..... I never ended up finding my GP and went to a new one today.... I had to not just bring her up to speed but explain a lot of stuff to her. She didn't know the difference between progesterone and progestin so just based on that I don't feel comfortable going back to her. I've decided to just use my psychiatrist as my GP for now. With this whole Duphaston thing going on here I need doctors that actually have their finger on the pulse and know stuff! Instead of worrying about covering their asses.... I mean I've been taking this medication for months and the results have been outstanding what more positive results do they need? "oh but we..... can still be held accountable if anything does go wrong". Yeah right it was me that wanted to take it in the first place ..you work for me I make the calls when it comes to my body... you are just the puppets that fill the scripts. "oh but we....the legal system.....jail....assrape...we.......number one comes ....first.....hand...up ass.......weak lame". etc.

I had nothing to loose telling that dolt of a wanna-be-doctor GP exactly what was on my mind, sure I wasn't in the best of moods that day but I don't regret it and actually... quite proud of it.... he had it coming and it made me feel a whole lot better. I knew I wasn't going to get anything out of him so.
  •  

meh

I just found a Dr. that will do informed consent for hormones. But I went to therapy for 3 months anyway.

I found it rather easy. My insurance also covers SRS.

Now the friends/family part, not so easy.
  •  

Kaelleria

To be fair, most GP's don't prescribe things like hormones on a regular basis. My father is a doctor but won't write me any scripts even though he knows enough about them to do an ok job, because its not something he prescribes on a regular basis.

You could start looking for a transfriendly endocrinologist in your area, but you'll probably need some sort of referral letter to even get an appointment.

The above ticker is meant as a joke! Laugh! Everyone knows the real zombie apocalypse isn't until 12/21/12....
  •