News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How Can the Church Help?

Started by Valerie, August 15, 2005, 06:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

Greetings,

I'm new here but you can check out my posts under the topic "Outed by Christian Publication" if you want to know more bits and pieces of me. 

I'm hoping I can get some honest and realistic feedback from some of you about this.  I'd like some ideas on what churches can do to help the trans-gendered community.  As far as individually as people, yes, I know we can respect you, try to understand you, accept you and validate you as beautiful, contributing members of our diverse society.

But what I'm wondering is what would a church ministry for transgendered persons look like?  What are your needs, from the very basic to the most complicated and inbetween? 

I know there is an MCC chrch in town, and I'm going to talk to the pastor there as well for some ideas.   I don't even know how large or small the trans-gendered community here is (I'm in Gainesville, FL)....

I'll tell you a secret...I was almost too embarrassed to mention it, but since I'm new I've nothing to lose.  I was in a local store recently, and one of the clerks there...well, she almost appears as though she might be a MTF transexual but,um, still in transition (forgive me I'm in  ahurr to write this and haven't the proper terminolgy in front of me here)...anyway...all I wanted to do was embrace her and tell her God loves ALL of her but all I can really do is pray that she doesn't think God rejects her..... 

I keep thinking there's got to be more tangible ways for me and for churches to help.....

PLease give me your thoughts,

Valerie Ann 
  •  

Susan

For me, I don't think that it can.

I see the "Christian" religions ignoring the teachings of Christ that really matter, while attempting to force their congregations and the nation as a whole through their meddling in the political process to observe the minutiae.

They see a dead god, not a living one. What was once written, can never be allowed to change not to the smallest degree. Thus they ignore over 2,000 years of God's and Jesus's continuing influence on the world.

They see a small minded god obsessed with the sins of the people who worship him. I see a expansive god who loves mankind enough to give us free will, and who wouldn't then illogically turn around and threaten us with an eternity of punishment just because we did not exercise it in the right way.

Most Christian churches forget the love that Jesus preached.  They see Christ as an avenger coming to punish the wicked. They more outlandish believe they can force their promised rapture and return on mankind's schedule not gods.

They pay lip service to the instructions to help your fellow man. 

They totally ignore his instruction to turn the other cheek.

Jesus commanded that he who is without sin should cast the first stone. Today many Christians would not hesitate to throw that stone even if Jesus was present.  One pious individual even told me in an emailed correspondence that he would start the stoning process with me.

They worship Christ as a replacement of God.  Not realizing that Christ was a signpost along the way and not the entire or only road.

Lets not even start on the we are the only true faith, you must believe exactly as we believe or you go to hell, and many other creeds followed especially by the evangelicals. All of the major religions are but a pale reflection of the truth and have some measure of validity.

They think that the many messages about rich men entering heaven some how will magically not apply to them when they face their creator.

I see churches turning away people because they can not make the required tithe. I posted about one recent example here.

For myself I will continue to talk to god directly. I don't see god solely in houses of wood or stone instead I see him inside myself and everyone else.  I live my faith on a daily basis and not just on Sundays or when it is otherwise convenient or stylish. I am not in favor of most organized religions today not when their acts are 180 degrees from the message they claim to follow.

"Christian" Churches need to undertake major reforms and to begin to actually service the community as Jesus taught them to not just themselves.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Leigh

Quote from: Susan on August 15, 2005, 09:15:58 PM
What was once written can never be allowed to change not to the smallest degree.

Oh the confusion--which bible, which religion.  I can see it now the Crusades all over again.

Oh it has changed--mixed fibers-stoning you neighbor to death -yada yada yada

Enforce, believe, preach what is in vogue, but never never preach against any of your own vileness.

Either practice every word or none.
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Leigh on August 15, 2005, 09:40:35 PMEither practice every word or none.

Well some laws were by the Jewish elders and intended strictly for the Jewish people and thus did not apply to the Gentiles (Everyone else). Jesus came to bring the love of god and a path to salvation for the Gentiles who became the Christians and it looked nothing like that for God's chosen people. I guess they decided to hold themselves to a higher standard. My problem is Christian churches which don't begin to follow even the most important the teachings of Christ.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Leigh

I'm sorry but as a practicng Pagan is see no difference between churchs and a slot machine.

You go out a lot less than you put in.
  •  

Cassandra

Quote...anyway...all I wanted to do was embrace her and tell her God loves ALL of her but all I can really do is pray that she doesn't think God rejects her..... 

Valerie, what ever you do please reisist the temptaion and don't ever, ever, do that. First of all you might be outing a gg(That's a genetic girl) See Wiki for definitions. Second even if you think she was TS you didn't really know and so no one else may either. The last thing a TS wants is for everyone to know that they are TS. We are trying to live our lives in the community as women or men if we're FtM. What the church can do is when they think there is a TS among them to treat us with the same dignity and respect they show to any other woman.

We simply are what we are. We are the gender we present as, nothing more nothing less. What can the church do? When someone kills a TS how about taking a stand against the atrocity. If A TS dies because an EMT won't work on them, how about taking a stand to make sure that EMT never works in the medical profession again.

How about comforting a TS who has been beaten or raped, and chastising the police for not investigating because there "just trannies", as if we're not worthy of equal protection under the law. These are some of the ways the church can minister to those who are TS. In most instances we cannot stand up for ourself in these situations because drawing further attention only makes matters worse. Perhaps the church could step in and fill the void.

We are the minorities, minority. We stand alone because we have to. We have no choice just as we have no choice about who we are. We simply are. We are gods most special creation and so it is that we are his most reviled. In this you could say we share a common bond with Christ. He was special to God the father and he was reviled and rejected by the world too.

Good Luck, Good Journey,

Cassie
  •  

VeryGnawty

I have to agree with Susan.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  It is extremely difficult to find a church that isn't corrupted by the crusade mentality in one way or another.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Valerie

Thank you for your thoughts everyone,

First off, Cassie, no, I would never, ever think of outing anyone!!  When I said I 'wanted to embrace her' etc..., I was speaking of my inner compulsion to nurture.  Not only do I not know for sure that she's transexual, but she's a complete stranger....and you don't just go around talking to complete strangers about their business. 

QuoteWhen someone kills a TS how about taking a stand against the atrocity. If A TS dies because an EMT won't work on them, how about taking a stand to make sure that EMT never works in the medical profession again.

How about comforting a TS who has been beaten or raped, and chastising the police for not investigating because there "just trannies", as if we're not worthy of equal protection under the law. These are some of the ways the church can minister to those who are TS. In most instances we cannot stand up for ourself in these situations because drawing further attention only makes matters worse. Perhaps the church could step in and fill the void

Yes, this is the type of information I was looking for.  But how do I find out about these things happening in my own community...and elsewhere? 

My church is still relatively small... we have some ministries established...such as collecting food for the homeless shelter....  I guess the lines are more easily drawn with something like that.  I mean, this website, for example, is something that I see as a ministry to trans people....and it's ongoing, touchable...and I know that it helps everyone who comes here....

These are some of the qualities of ministry I'd like to see developed in my church...I mean for all people, but including the trans community....and so Cassandra, are you saying something like this isn't practical because it would only serve to accentuate differences whereas transexuals are simply trying to move on with their lives in their true gender?

SUSAN--- My response to your post is a wee bit longer than my reply to Cassie's, so I'm saving that for later since I have to get to work soon.  Do check back later...

With peace,
Valerie Ann
  •  

Cassandra

Hi Valerie,

QuoteWhen I said I 'wanted to embrace her' etc..., I was speaking of my inner compulsion to nurture.

I figured this was the case, but it has been my experience that some folks in their exuberance and with the best of intentions will do something inappropriate, so it needed to be said. No telling who might be reading the thread that might take it as some kind of cue that it would be a nice thing to do.

Quoteare you saying something like this isn't practical because it would only serve to accentuate differences whereas transexuals are simply trying to move on with their lives in their true gender?

The idea that it isn't practical was used in the beginning of the civil rights movement. Allthough some similarities can be drawn it ends with the fact that a black person cannot live in stealth within the community were they live. They cannot stop being black, Michael Jackson not withstanding. A post-op Trans can however live as if she always had the correct body and no one is the wiser. Certain exceptions of course do apply.

For instance If a post-op trans wishes to enter into an intimate realtionship whether it be a man of another woman she of necessity must be up front about the fact that she used to have a male body. Failure to do so can have serious consequences down the road when their partner discovers the truth. And they will discover the truth eventually, it is not a matter of if but when.

It is however only within the context of intimte relationships that such disclosures become necessary. In the case of employment it isnot necessary for a post-op to disclose it is just a near impossibility to prevent discovery. Those who transition young have no job histories so it is possible for them to live in stealth at work. However the majority of transwomen transition very late in life and have lifetimes of histories as men. Can you imagine the monumental task of trying to erase or alter 40+ years of your life to conform to your true identity.

Of course once disclosed to a potential employer a job offer on the table might be withdrawn because their is no specific inclusion for transgender within antidiscrimination laws. And were such inclusion does exist what are you going to do to enforce it when it means exposing yourself to all those you didn't have to be exposed to before? With court cases involving children documents are sealed so there is some privacy protection no such protection exists for an adult transsexual.

For some insights on this subject go to https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,577.0.html

Also here's a topic which covers what can happen when a transexual becomes too active publically.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,802.0.html

I am not trying to discourage you here but if you want to take up the mantel of Transexual or the broader Transgender rights you are looking at very steep hill to climb. You need to understand what it is your getting yourself into. On the one hand it takes a spokeperson to represent the Transgender community and the needs of CD's are not exactly in sinc with the needs of TS's. If only TS's are included in the clarion call to action then other TG's cry foul. If you are not even a TG person TG's will decry you as being unqualified to speak for the TG community. And we haven't even gotten to the reaction you would get from those opposed to TG's for whatever reason, especially most Christians.

Right now your just talking to us here and it is a safe environment. I know you feel safe enough to disclose your full name. It is an unwise move. Annonimity is the name of the game here. There re just too many really bad people out there and this is a public forum. If you were among our transgender youth I would have edited your full name out of your posts but since you are an adult here it is your call. I would however, strongly urge you to change it and keep it just Valerie.

You have a great deal to learn about us Valerie and there are a lot of posts and topics here. A lot of your questions can be answered just by reading those. Of course they will probably raise a lot of questions too but all you need to do is post a reply and ask your question. I know you mean well but you need to understand a bit more about us and our issues before you can really start getting ideas as to how you can help. It's difficult enough for us to understand ourselves much less for someone who isn't TG themselves.

God Bless, Valerie
Good Journey,

Cassie

•  

Valerie

OK, I'm back.  I couldn't simply let some of your ideas go unrecognized.  I'm kind of getting the idea that there might be some less than favorable opinions about organized religion?   :D  (That was a joke, I love to state the obvious)

Seriously now, though....I know that the Church in general doesn't always portray the heart of Christ...in fact, the ones that are most often represented by media are the worst.  The churches that do reflect God's love on earth are more often hidden from the public eye.  

The church I'm a member of is warm, open, and loving to all. Not every church or organized religion is as terrible as you may have experienced or heard about.  I can tell you this until I'm blue in the face, but I also know that unless and until you experience otherwise, my words will more than likely mean nothing.  My only hope is that one day you will be able to witness a truly Christ-like church. And I pray more than anything that your disdain for the Church doesn't push you away from our Creator.  

SUSAN, you paint a disturbing image about 21st century Christianity, and it is not one that I can wholly deny.  In fact, I have been angered, grieved, and sickened over the same sort of things that you mention here.  

As far as my beliefs are concerned, I cannot label myself liberal or conservative. Liberals think I'm too conservative, conservatives think I'm too liberal. So I fall somewhere inbetween, depending on the issues, I guess.  I will say this much, as far as my presence here is concerned...I don't think cross-dressing or homosexuality is a sin; I especially don't think that transexuals are supposed to deny who they are and not make changes they feel are needed to embrace their gender.

I read Christian books sometimes, though I am careful about my selection whenever possible.  I don't read the books that are too far left or right for my taste, but I am not opposed to exposing myself to others' ideas that I might disagree with.  I usually end up reading authors who I think are 'conservative', but have ideas that challenge their conservative counterparts.  

One such author is Brennan Manning.  Another, Philip Yancey, I've recently discovered.  In his book, "What's So Amazing About Grace" he wrote the following:  

QuoteI told a story in my book The Jesus I Never Knew, a true story that long afterward continued to haunt me. I heard it from a friend who works with the down-and-out in Chicago:

"A prostitute came to me in wretched straits, homeless, sick, unable to buy food for her two year old daughter.  Through sobs and tears, she told me she had been renting out her daughter--two years old!--to men interested in kinky sex....At last I asked if she had ever thought of going to a church for help. I will never forget the look of pure, naive shock that crossed her face. "Church!" she cried. "Why would i ever go there? I was already feeling terrible about myself. They'd just make me feel worse."  

What struck me about my friend's story is that women much like this prostitute fled toward Jesus, not away from him. The worse a person felt about herself, the more likely she saw Jesus as a refuge. Has the church lost that gift? Evidently the down and out, who flocked to Jesus when he lived on earth, no longer feel welcome among his followers. What has happened?

I know that was a long excerpt, but I used it to demonstrate that questions are being asked within the Christian community.  A little slow on the uptake, I'd say, but it gives me confidence that we can overcome the present spirit that penetrates so many churches today.  

QuoteOne pious individual even told me in an emailed correspondence that he would start the stoning process with me.

Susan, when I read this I didn't know if I was going to cry or vomit.  I am so sorry that you have been treated this way, and by someone who claims to speak for God. It's nauseating.  I only wish I had more than words for you, as I know that after time words might seem devoid of meaning.

My God, too, is a God of love...He rejoices in his creation and especially in his children.  My God is alive, active....

my God laughs with me and cries with me, strengthens me.  He speaks to me in the thunder; he plays with my hair in the wind; he sings to me in birdsong and locust hum..he sings to us all.  

I have met God in Hindus, Muslims, Jewish peoples, Buddhists, Native-Americans, pagans, and atheists.  

My God is a god of infinite wisdom, love, acceptance, and forgiveness. He even forgives those who I've complained about today in this message.  It's only that once they finally realize who God is, that God's love has no prejudice, they might not want to keep his company after that...but for some, it will be a revelation...

One day I'm going to be the difference.  I'm in school taking basic courses right now, and when I transfer from community college to University, I'm majoring in religion, and then I'll go to seminary and in the meantime I'll be collecting life experience.  And one day the global Church will change.  God help us all till then....

With peace and love,
Valerie

•  

Valerie

You're right, Cassandra.......I was putting the cart before the horse.  I need to learn to shut up and listen! I'll check out the links you referred to when I get home. You know I always think no one will ever find me so I wasn't afraid to use my last name...but am reconsidering now.  I stand humbled and silenced.  :-X  Thank you.......

Valerie Ann
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMI know that the Church in general doesn't always portray the heart of Christ...in fact, the ones that are most often represented by media are the worst.  The churches that do reflect God's love on earth are more often hidden from the public eye.

It is a failure on their part and something they must strive to change.

They should fight to get their message heard and seen. I don't mean by standing on the street corners with signs saying honk if you love Jesus. I mean by their simple acts. Feeding the homeless, helping the poor and destitute, even if it means that they don't have some a huge church facility.  After all Jesus said "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them". This forum, your house, a city park, a meadow in the middle of the countryside all become a place of worship when people seek to do so. 

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMThe church I'm a member of is warm, open, and loving to all. Not every church or organized religion is as terrible as you may have experienced or heard about.  I can tell you this until I'm blue in the face, but I also know that unless and until you experience otherwise, my words will more than likely mean nothing.  My only hope is that one day you will be able to witness a truly Christ-like church. And I pray more than anything that your disdain for the Church doesn't push you away from our Creator.

I have no disdain for Churches. I certainly have no disdain towards god in any of the incarnations and forms which God may chose to take. Organized religions have their place for some people however I myself have out grown it. That doesn't mean I have outgrown my faith or my belief in the divine.

This was a dream I had you may take it how you wish. I was in the local Wal-mart in the bread section. I looked up and there standing in the air above me was God. The classic Greco-Italian Michaelangelo God. I was raised up into the air before god. I felt the Love, I felt the compassion, and I felt the understanding. I somehow managed to speak to god. I said only one thing,  "Thank you for everything". It is appropriate I guess. God also spoke to me but I can not remember any what I was told. I guess that will come in time or when I need it.  Am I a prophet, No. Nor am I a religious zealot. I simply had an encounter with my god and came away the better person for it.

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMSUSAN, you paint a disturbing image about 21st century Christianity, and it is not one that I can wholly deny.  In fact, I have been angered, grieved, and sickened over the same sort of things that you mention here.

As far as my beliefs are concerned, I cannot label myself liberal or conservative. Liberals think I'm too conservative, conservatives think I'm too liberal. So I fall somewhere inbetween, depending on the issues, I guess.  I will say this much, as far as my presence here is concerned...I don't think cross-dressing or homosexuality is a sin; I especially don't think that transexuals are supposed to deny who they are and not make changes they feel are needed to embrace their gender.

I used to be a staunchly conservative republican.  I know a funny thing for a transsexual to be. Until the last presidential election I had voted republican all my life. I voted for the George W. Bush JR's first run for the president. I was taken in like so many other Americans by the compassionate conservative label. We were burned.  I could not morally vote for him the second time around.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Since then I have decided to become a social progressive. I think it is more in line with my viewpoint both in my religious life and my political opinions.

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMI read Christian books sometimes, though I am careful about my selection whenever possible.  I don't read the books that are too far left or right for my taste, but I am not opposed to exposing myself to others' ideas that I might disagree with.  I usually end up reading authors who I think are 'conservative', but have ideas that challenge their conservative counterparts.

I highly recommend the Joshua line of books by Joseph F. Girzone While I don't agree 100% with his writting I do agree with his ultimate message. The movie Joshua is an  example of religious life without being imprisoned by the doctrine. 

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMOne such author is Brennan Manning.  Another, Philip Yancey, I've recently discovered.  In his book, "What's So Amazing About Grace" he wrote the following:  

I know that was a long excerpt, but I used it to demonstrate that questions are being asked within the Christian community.  A little slow on the uptake, I'd say, but it gives me confidence that we can overcome the present spirit that penetrates so many churches today.

Churches need to lead by example instead of by preaching down to people.

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMSusan, when I read this I didn't know if I was going to cry or vomit.  I am so sorry that you have been treated this way, and by someone who claims to speak for God. It's nauseating.  I only wish I had more than words for you, as I know that after time words might seem devoid of meaning.

I promptly submitted him to public exposure on this site. I posted his correspondence in full.

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMMy God, too, is a God of love...He rejoices in his creation and especially in his children.  My God is alive, active....

my God laughs with me and cries with me, strengthens me.  He speaks to me in the thunder; he plays with my hair in the wind; he sings to me in birdsong and locust hum..he sings to us all.  

I have met God in Hindus, Muslims, Jewish peoples, Buddhists, Native-Americans, pagans, and atheists.  

My God is a god of infinite wisdom, love, acceptance, and forgiveness. He even forgives those who I've complained about today in this message.  It's only that once they finally realize who God is, that God's love has no prejudice, they might not want to keep his company after that...but for some, it will be a revelation...

Another book/movie combo I would suggest check out would be The five people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom

Quote from: Valerie on August 16, 2005, 12:43:02 PMOne day I'm going to be the difference.  I'm in school taking basic courses right now, and when I transfer from community college to University, I'm majoring in religion, and then I'll go to seminary and in the meantime I'll be collecting life experience.  And one day the global Church will change.  God help us all till then....

With peace and love,
Valerie

We need more people like you. The sad thing is, I don't know if we will get them.

[edit]After thinking about it I said thank you for everything instead of just thank you in my dream[/edit]
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Lisbeth

It almost seems like this needs a very long answer or none at all.

The first thing is "the church" is bipolar or something.  There is an evil church and a good church, and heaven help you if you get connected with the wrong one.

My sense of what you are saying, Valerie, depends on a couple of questions.  Are you talking about what the church in general can do, or what specifically inclusive churches can do.  You mentioned the MCC, which is the first gay-identified denomination.  An answer to the MCC would look much different from one to the Southern Baptist Convension.

One common answer though would be in the words of the saying, "The good Lord gave you two ears and only one mouth.  This should be a clue to listen more than you talk."  Most churches haven't gotten that one figured out yet.

If you want to explore more, email me.  lisbeth_k24@yahoo.com
  •  

stephanie

Get back to the fundamentals of "Love thy neighbor" and "do unto others what you would have them do unto you."  Treat everyone with the respect they deserve and don't judge.  One other thing, if your neighbor isn't the same religion, don't try and convert them.  Answer any questions, but don't push anything on them.
  •  

Valerie

Greetings once again, friends. 

QuoteThey should fight to get their message heard and seen. I don't mean by standing on the street corners with signs saying honk if you love Jesus. I mean by their simple acts. Feeding the homeless, helping the poor and destitute, even if it means that they don't have some a huge church facility.  After all Jesus said "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them". This forum, your house, a city park, a meadow in the middle of the countryside all become a place of worship when people seek to do so. 

Yes, well, when I see the 'honk if you love Jesus' signs, I usually don't honk!  ;D I agree with you 100%.  Churches, beyond their basic operating/educational expenses, must be outward focused.  'Where 2 or 3 are gathered' is exactly the message.  Of course, feeding the poor and such does take money and time, however, so a church needs to have enough members who are willing and able to contribute one or the other, or both.

It's important to remember, though, that even the best-intentioned churches aren't perfect.  Just as the people who go to church are imperfect, so, too, are churches themselves.  My church ( I know I talk about my church a lot, I can't help it!) for example...I love my church, and wouldn't think of leaving it.  But I have always complained that we don't do enough external ministry.  We only have about 200 rostered members, (if that) I think. The number of rostered members is almost always somewhat higher than the number who attend regularly. Of the number who regularly attend, still less regularly participate, for one reason or another. 

Overcoming the flaws of any given church takes time and patience, and in most cases, some semblance of diplomacy.  To my church's credit, while we haven't had any big external ministry going on, many church members have their own thing(s) they do...one member participates in a hospitality network fo rthe homesless; another advocates for the environment; I help out with a local AIDS group & dabble in prison ministry. The good news is that our pastor, who's been with us for 2 years, is changing this trend, trying to expand our outreach & ministry programs.  It's easier for one person to do something than it is to convince an entire group to do the same.

Ugh, that was enough on that..that was way too long...

QuoteI have no disdain for Churches
I wasn't directing that comment towards you, Susan, but for some of the others who seem a little more disenchanted with it.  Just as all homosexuals should not be condemned because of the few who happen to be pedophiles, so too should the entire Church or Christianity not be condemned because some of their factions are bad.

QuoteThis was a dream I had you may take it how you wish. I was in the local Wal-mart in the bread section. I looked up and there standing in the air above me was God. The classic Greco-Italian Michaelangelo God. I was raised up into the air before god. I felt the Love, I felt the compassion, and I felt the understanding. I somehow managed to speak to god. I said only one thing,  "Thank you for everything". It is appropriate I guess. God also spoke to me but I can not remember any what I was told. I guess that will come in time or when I need it.  Am I a prophet, No. Nor am I a religious zealot. I simply had an encounter with my god and came away the better person for it.

I wish I would have dreams like yours! Sooooo.....you were in a discount store, looking for bread, and found God...definitely a message is present in that alone.  What did Christ say? 'I am the bread of life'.   And as I said to you in short online last evening, it seems as though God was saying "Look at me, in my majesty and glory, look at me and feel my love and understanding and compassion, and believe in it. Don't believe what the world tells you about yourself unless it reflects my love for you."  We don't need to be zealots or prophets to experience God...we just need to be open, as you obviously are.

QuoteWe need more people like you.
:icon_flower: Back atcha'...

QuoteThe sad thing is, I don't know if we will get them
(sigh...) Hope so....as much as is humanly possible, don't give up hope...

Lisbeth, hi....

QuoteMy sense of what you are saying, Valerie, depends on a couple of questions.  Are you talking about what the church in general can do, or what specifically inclusive churches can do.  You mentioned the MCC, which is the first gay-identified denomination.  An answer to the MCC would look much different from one to the Southern Baptist Convension.

OK...this is what happens when I write with little time on my hands...sorry for being so confusing!  Yes, the MCC is an entire denomination focused on accepting and ministering to the gay community.  I don't know about the Baptists, but if they do have a 'gay ministry' it's probably with the intent of deprogramming homosexuals so that they'll turn into worthy Baptists...just my take on it.  It's a problem I have with some missions work and ministries.  In feeding the hungry, their goal isn't primarily in feeding the hungry, but rather in hoping those they feed will convert.  But I digress.... 

I can't change an entire denomination because even in my denomination some churches are more or less open than others.  But for an individual church that is loving and accepting of all, but doesn't have ministries established for different groups, that is what I was referring to.  As I so noted in response to Cassandra's last post, I put the cart before the horse in asking this, however and should just listen awhile...probably  a long while. 

I'm going to get lazy here, and paste en excerpt of my classmates.com profile. It's the first time I ever wrote in detail about what I feel called to do. 

"...I've seen too many people who, by their own misconceptions or by the false leadings of   another, think that God hates or rejects them.  This breaks my heart most of all.  The veteran who thinks he'll have a holy thrashing when he dies because of his part in the war; the homosexual whose family tells her that she's an abomination & will go to hell; the recently divorced mom who has to explain to her kids why they're not allowed back at church; the transexual or intersexed person who's been told that they are a freak of nature who has no place in God's kingdom; the low income family who is told that they're not financially secure because they haven't generated enough faith...everywhere, everyone has a story.  Part of my life's mission is to help others see God's fierce & overwhelming love and acceptance of them.  Not "God will love you if you stop that or start this or go to this church or pray for 30 minutes twice a day or read your Bible or give 10% of your income, etc, etc, etc..."....No, the message is "God loves you no matter what."

Not just for these hurting, but for all.  My mission is to meet people where they are at and do whatever I can to be Christ on earth for them.  Whether they are or aren't Christians isn't relevant; whether they 'convert' is their own business.  These past few months my heart has grown more compassionate, even to those I wouldn't normally care to associate with.  I honestly don't know if I can confine myself to being an ordained pastor in a church...they seem to have so much bureaucracy to deal with: meetings, weddings, funerals, conferences, reports to write. I'd like for all that to be out of my way so I can do more ministry. I want to encounter people and love them and help them 1st hand, not in some obscure way where I only have limited contact with those I minister to. I want to share their burdens, joys, suffering, tears, hopes, dreams, triumphs. I don't even know what my options are, but I have quite some time left before I go to seminary.....July 31st, 2005"

I only hope I can really pull it off...I doubt my abilities, my intellect, my commitment...but with God all things are possible.  And if He's called me to this, then he'll see me to it and through it.  Sorry for rambling, look forward to hearing more from everyone.......

Love,
Valerie

•  

Lisbeth

Here's a beginning of an answer to your question:

"This means that the approach the church needs to take is different than dealing with women's issues. Where many churches develop women's programs toward empowerment, transgender programs need to provide safe places to draw out the feelings, the hopes and fears, of participants. There needs to be a support system for wives and others in close relationship with the transgendered. There needs to be a support system to help the transitioning deal with Standard of Care issues. And there needs to be opportunities given for the constructive expression of cross-gender feelings that make each one feel valued in both the gender of birth and the gender of choice. What the church needs to bring is compassion, not condemnation."
http://lisbeth.freeservers.com/deut225.html

Perhaps if you want to know where I am coming from, this will help you:
http://www.whosoever.org/v6i2/love.html
  •  

Jessica

How can the church help?

If the church would try and go back to the basics taught in the bible, by Jesus himself, it would help immensely!  Throw all the individual 'one-liner' scriptures out of the damn window.  He taught in parables for a reason, the reason was to teach the basic concepts.  The Bible was never meant to be picked apart line by line, word by word, and letter by letter; nor was it meant to beat people over the head with who are a little bit different from you (Not 'you' persay, but 'you' in a general manner of speaking).  Personally, for me, the Bible exists to teach us the concepts that Jesus portrayed while he lived.  It serves as a sort of guidebook.  It shows us how things were before, during, and a little bit after.  It provides a frame of reference.  But, most importantly it is there to give us a guide for daily leaving using Jesus as an example.  It teaches us to:

Love
Concern for the welfare & well-being of every individual
Compassion
Understanding
Patience
Forgiveness (Both of Others and of yourself when you fail to live up to the standard)
Non-Judgement of Individuals. (A Note on this.  Jesus certainly did Judge certain concepts, but he never judged the INDIVIDUAL, just the state of affairs, and he only judged them to try and show people in general the errors in thought of that philosophy)

The most important lessons the bible has to offer can be learned in a kindegarden bible study class.  Forget all of the advanced philosphical psuedo-intellectual crap, that all doesn't matter.

It's not *just* the Church that needs to try and do these things either.  Imagine if every person attempted these fundamental lessons. How would society be different?  How would people be different?  Well, I can only start with one, me.  I may not change the world, but I can try and change some small part of it!

With love,
Jessica
  •  

Sarah Louise

I agree, the Churches (and men) ruined the Bible when they started teaching from single lines of text.  I hate messages based on Part A of a verse, it is much to easy to take things out of context at that point and make it mean "what ever you want".

No verse should be taken out of the context of the whole.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •