Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Must Transgender People Be Raped In Jail?

Started by tori319, October 08, 2010, 10:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tori319

My question is should trans women be in prison with women and vic versa?You might find the comments offensive.

http://gawker.com/5659004/must-transgender-people-be-raped-in-jail

•  

Cindy

Hi Tori,

No one should be raped.
Whatever gender sexuality or whatever, rape is a disgusting act.
There should be zero tolerance for rape.

Yes TG people both MtF and FtM need to be place in safe protective custody. I'm not in the USA but I thought the term protective custody was fairly easy to interpret.

My understanding of the USA prison system is that it is in extremely poor humanitarian condition.
The USA is one of the few countries in the World to kill people under the name of justice. Sad really.

Cindy
  •  

Cruelladeville

While in Scottsdale I read a piece about a Brit prisoner who was incarcerated in Phoenix....

The beatings, inherent violence, drugs and appalling conditions he's put into a book..... i believe the governor too as a consequence now faces prosecution...

It seems u'man rights in many US prison's is at best an after-thought..... >:-)

And I'm not sure what happens in the UK if you be post-op you'd probo be sent to a female place, if not solitary in a male....which is equally harsh....

Socially/culturally the whole management of convicts seems to be still stuck in the 18th century and as times get harder, and due to the end of cheap abundant energy.... and more institutions face collapse - sadly it simply tells me DO KEEP OUTTA TROUBLE....
  •  

lilacwoman

UK puts post-ops in with women, pre-ops MAYBE depending on the governor or prison, but generally TS are segregated to secure wings if there is any chance of risk to them.
  •  

kyril

Quote from: CindyJames on October 09, 2010, 02:00:28 AM
Hi Tori,

No one should be raped.
Whatever gender sexuality or whatever, rape is a disgusting act.
There should be zero tolerance for rape.

Yes TG people both MtF and FtM need to be place in safe protective custody. I'm not in the USA but I thought the term protective custody was fairly easy to interpret.

My understanding of the USA prison system is that it is in extremely poor humanitarian condition.
The USA is one of the few countries in the World to kill people under the name of justice. Sad really.

Cindy
US protective custody, in many cases, is simply a code word for solitary confinement. It's not safe, it's not humane, and it's not an acceptable substitute for actually providing safety for the general prison population.

•  

Cindy

I know that this may be the most stupid comment I ever posted, and I have posted some dongers.

Every person commends respect.

No matter the evil.

Do we rise or do we descend?

Cindy
  •  

Cruelladeville

This was a fascinating TV doc Cindy.....

On balance....I wouldn't like to say we're winning on the 'umanity score....lol

In another life I would defo had stood for office.....

But then again look what happened to Harvey Milk.... >:-)

•  

Cindy

Thanks A

I realize this comment is stupid, but I have to make it:
I believe, in spite of  all evidence that humanity is worth while and we have the courage to protect the weak from the evil strong,

Stupid, Stupid Stupid.

Cindy
  •  

cynthialee

When I did time in prison of New Mexico, (a prison so bad it is called The Hate Factory) I knew 2 transwomen who were housed in general population Both women survived by prostitution. Not that they had a choice, sell your body or it will be taken from you. Harsh reality.

As an individule who has been in and out of prisons I find myself terrified of ever going back in. (thats why I am squeeky clean now) I would have to go into protective custody. Which is 23 hours a day solitary confinment. But that is no quarenty that the guards wont be the ones raping you.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •