Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Letters . . .

Started by gina_taylor, August 16, 2005, 03:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gina_taylor

I was just looking through some of the many websites for SRS (Sexual Reassignment Surgery) and I found that alot of them where very interesting. Now my question is simply do we need to have letters of recommendation for all surgeons previous to operation? Are the letters to prove to the surgeons that we are competent to handle the change in our body or is it just to verify that we have followed through with everything like the HBSOC?

You se my problem is is that I stopped seeing my therapist two years ago, and it seemed like my psychiatrist was a waste of my money, so I'm not seeing him either, and I'd like to have my SRS done in the near distant future. Are there any places that don't require letters?

Gina
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey Gina,

Seems like it's been ages since we last talked,   :) just kidding.  I'm not an expert on this, but I'm sure there are others here who would be better able to advise you.

I think that generally, most reputable surgeons require at least one letter certifying that you are a fit candidate for GRS (not sure if that's the right wording)  I know Menard & Brassard in Montreal requite two letters, one from a doctor, and one from a therapist.  I believe that most surgeons in Thailand require one letter.  The best thing would be to contact surgeons individually and find out what their "current" requirements are.

I have no idea of the ethics involved with surgeons who do not need letters, my only guess would be that they are in it only for the money  :-\ (hmmmmmmmmmm but then so are the others <shrug> )

Chat later

Steph
  •  

Leigh

The key word here is reputable.

I am sure there is a 4th rate surgeon in a 5th rate hospital that does not follow the SOC.

One chance only-is it worth it??
  •  

Plix

If you cannot provide a letter, some of the Thai surgeons will allow you to see their therapist only once and get a recommendation from them. If you dress as a woman and say you've been living that way for a year, you should be ok. If you actually are full time, that's even better.

I've thought about doing that myself to avoid needing any therapeutic help during transition. Except for that one-time Thai therapist, of course. But it's only once.

•  

Hokuhawaii

Hello Gina,  In Thailand most of the surgeons have their own therapist if you cannot get papers before you get there. It's a one time consultation and fee for $300.00 - $350.00. Dr. Chettawuts price are anyway. I don't know what the other surgeons prices are. But it will be comforting for you to know that it is possible to go to some Thailand surgeons without Therapists letters of SRS reccomendation. Good Luck!
  •  

beth

for another $100 you could prolly get ordained a minister and a doctorate in rocket science too.

beth
  •  

stephanie

And there are bridges that go for dirt cheap too!
  •  

gina_taylor

Thanks for your input ldies,

I figure if anything that I may go to Thailand.  Dr. Chettawuts sounds reputable and his price doesn't sound too bad either. It's something that I'll check out.  Does anyone have his website?

Gina
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Gina,

I came up with the following site for Dr Chettawuts, I think it's the one you were talking about.

http://www.chet-plasticsurgery.com/

Hope this helps.

Chat later

Steph
  •  

gina_taylor

Thanks Stephanie. That was exactly what I was looking for. Dr. Chettawut's website was very informative and it gave me a lot to digest.

Gina
  •