Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

LGBT kids in foster care

Started by rite_of_inversion, October 19, 2010, 06:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rite_of_inversion

I want my wife to read this article...because I suddenly think I might like to be one of those desperately-needed gay foster families, after reading the article linked at the end of this post.

I've had the urge to adopt...I'm not sure sure about a rotating cast of teenagers in my house. Not just a serial succession of teens, but GLBT teens.
(Talk about your daily dose o' drama, jeez Louise!  ;))

I wonder what they might help themselves to of mine-and therefore I'd have to buy a really good safe for, but I also don't want to let their problems, real or potential, stop them from living in a home that's not going to pitch them out for being GLBT. 
We might refuse to continue housing them for other reasons (stealing from us or neighbors, violence/vandalism, hurting the critters, drug abuse, chronic truancy that we can't correct after repeated tries) but the gay is okay.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/11/gay-kids-foster-homes-bullying

•  

Robert Scott

In my youth I worked for Gay and Lesbian adolescent social services in Los Angeles - we had six group homes for LGBT youth.  Each home had at least one transgender kid in it.  We helped them get the hormones they needed and worked on transitioning.  Talking to the kids and the road they had to travel to get to us could break anyone heart.  Most had no problems and were great kids to be around.  We would have kids from all over the nation.

Here in Minnesota we have an organization that recruits foster parents to serve LBGT teens - my wife and I have considered doing that.
  •  

jacob.ayden.averi

I'm actually in foster care, have been for two years or so. I've been living in a relative foster care home, but my sister and I are looking to move and it's really hard to find a home that's understanding and respectful. We met this one woman the other day and she used femaile pronouns for so long-she knew I'm trans-that I called her out on it, because I truly just couldn't stand it anymore. I wish there were more open and understanding homes, but there's just not. Maybe I should be a foster dad when I'm older? I'm not sure. I'd like it, but I'd definitely prefer to take in trans kids, just because I know they have the most trouble out of anyone in the LGBTQ community in foster care, at least in my humble experience.