Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Essential Makeup kit?

Started by PaigeM, October 26, 2010, 03:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaigeM

I haven't tried makeup in about 15 years (been in denial), and want to put together a makeup kit. Any recommendations on getting one started?

Thanks,
Paige
  •  

V M

Allot of the gals that work at make up counters are often glad to help you get a basic kit together

Eye liner, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick, foundation etc.

Also, many make up co.s have online stores and will have starter kits available... I've gotten stuff from Avon and Clinique... Been looking at MAC allot lately

The only thing that really challenged me was picking out the right foundation for my skin tone
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Vanessa_yhvh

I had the MAC counter match up my foundation and blush (to perfection, I'd say). Then I snagged a set of makeup brushes from Sigma (online), a couple of killer sets of eyeshadow and other blushes for cheap from Coastal Scents (online). Topped it all off with mascara and lip gloss from the pharmacy & such.

Have a budget or any other limiting factors in mind to narrow down suggestions?
  •  

Janet_Girl

When I was just coming out and I was part time, I found a gal that did makeovers for the TS/TG/CD community.  I had her do a makeover for me and Afterwards I purchased what she used.

Since then I have learned more, thru YouTube and by practice.  Some of the CD sites also have basic kits, by you sould know your shade when ordering.
  •  

PaigeM

My skin is very pale with a lot of redness/pink color to my face. I blush easily, so my face gets very red. My eyelashes and brows are very blond, almost invisible, and I remember having trouble with mascara and eyeliner; you could always see the blond roots. I had red hair when I was young, but it's more of a strawberry blonde now, with white starting to come in at the temples over the last few years.
I can't really go to a makeup counter right now, so I'll have to rely on some guesswork. I'm talking with my wife about this but she's not fully on board, so this is really just for speculation at this point.
Thanks for the ideas so far; I'm looking forward to more!

Paige
  •  

JenniL

Ulta is a good online site for makeup kits. The online store had quite a bit of everything. If you need a concealer and a foundation I recommend going in person.  They are awesome at matching the skintone and the concealer is pretty good. Going to Mac also gave me a chance to ask alot of questions and get some help applying makeup. I actually went with no makeup and left feeling great. It was a little nerve wracking at first but after they start working on your face it's a pretty fun experience.

Jennifer

•  

Pixie Dimples

I would also suggest a MAC counter their foundation comes in many shades and the MUAs will be glad to help you find your match. I dont believe they have Kits with full size versions of their products but i heard theyre still worth a try.
Ulta is good as mentioned, if you go into their store they focus mainly on skincare but do have a few counters also.
Sephora is another good store that would probably be your holy grail after MAC! lol it has so many things.

Target or any other drugstore has alot of good products too and very affordable. i mostly go there to buy eyeliner/mascara or sometimes eyeshadow.

Hope this helped.
  •  

Cindy Stephens

I really love this time of year!  All the beauty and fragrance houses have big deals going on.  I get e-mails from macys with the latest offers.  Estee Lauder has an extensive  makeup kit (with brushes) for $55 with any fragrance purchase.  I bought this two years ago, and it is a great deal with high quality cosmetics in various shades to try.  Luckily, my wife likes it when I wear their scent "beautiful" so it makes sense for me to get them together.  It also saves multiple trips to the cosmetic counter at CVS.  That is the only place I have gotten "the look" from other shoppers even though I am in drab.  It does let me switch into "high flaming" mode though.   
  •  

V M

Victoria's Secret has a pretty good one for like $30 also

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cindy Stephens

Check out Kohl's Christmas sale, the under $15 section.  Big kit for $11.  Couldn't figure out how to post the connection.  I am "of a certain age" as they say, and anything from Victoria Secrets or even Kohls is oriented too young for me.  Estee Lauder is geared for "mature" skin types.  May I recommend, for girls my age at least, "How not to look old" by Charla Krupp.  It was on NYtimes best seller list so probably in bargain bins everywhere now.  Has very good advice on how to avoid looking like you are trying to look 18.   
  •  

V M

Actually, I was just looking at the Estee Lauder set today and it is rather nice and packs allot of bang for the buck

I just mentioned the VS kit to throw some more options out there

That book sounds interesting... I'm 49 and always looking for good make up advice for keeping a youthful but mature appearance  :)

And another book by the same author

- V M
  •  

Cindy Stephens

Not really makeup, but anyone else use Retin-A? I think it helps.  And use all the Olay Pro-x stuff, Sams club has full sized units in their Olay 3 product kits for your skin, and sometimes Olay has a rebate deal working.  The "how to never look fat again" book looks interesting, but I bet there is a catch-like not eating.  I really think that Spanx help the waist, but here in Florida it is difficult with the heat.
  •  

hland

MAC is AMAZING. The artists at the counter will help you match your skin, give you tips and tricks and set you up with everything you need to look fabulous! I can tell you, though, that there are some things I get for a bare minimum price from a company called E.L.F. http://www.eyeslipsface.com/
Their makeup is actually pretty great considering the price is so low. And for things I don't want to spend $20 on, like blush, brushes, eyelashes, etc. I go to E.L.F.
  •  

meliaMANNEQUiN

EYES
*brown pencil eyeliner
*black pencil eyeliner
*eyeshadow primer (urban decay primer potion or too faced shadow insurance are the best)
*a palette of neutral eyeshadows (urban decay's "naked" palette is wonderful and comes with a double sided black and brown eyeliner pencil and a mini bottle of eyeshadow primer)
*black mascara
*black liquid or gel eyeliner

FACE
*foundation (if you go to a makeup counter, they should be able to find you a good match. MAC is great for that)
*concealer (something slightly lighter than your foundation, pink based and with more coverage)
*blush, probably something peachy pink
*powder to set your foundation and concealer with (mac's prep and prime invisible set powder is awesome)

BRUSHES
*a small powder brush for blush
*a large kabuki brush for powder
*sponges for foundation (or there are several brushes you can use.. or your fingers.. but sponges work the best in my opinion)
*a small concealer brush
*a lip brush (incase you ever use reds or any strong color that needs very precise application)
*a flat, dense brush to press eyeshadow onto your lids for opaque coverage
*a fluffy, dome shaped brush to blend the edges of your eyeshadow or create a translucent wash of color
*a stiff, angled brush to apply color to your eyebrows (eyeshadow to fill in your eyebrows looks much more natural than a pencil)
*a brush for gel eyeliner (if you choose to use it)

WHERE TO BUY
*sephora is an amazing store for all types of makeup
*ulta is also an amazing store for all types of makeup with a mixture of high end brands and also more affordable brands
*NYX is a really great, affordable brand for eyeshadows.. it's available at ulta
* http://bhcosmetics.com/ has huge eyeshadow palettes for very inexpensive prices.. up to 120 colors and they're very highly pigmented
* http://crownbrush.com/ has great brushes, very inexpensive
*mac is a great brand for pretty much everything
*sonia kashuk brand brushes are good and inexpensive, available only at target
*loreal true match is a great, inexpensive foundation
*mascara is pretty much all the same. as long as it doesn't flake, smudge or run, you're fine. it's the brush and the application that makes them different
  •