Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Wicked

Started by Lisbeth, August 19, 2005, 05:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisbeth

Has anybody else read Wicked: The Life And Times of The Wicked Witch of The West?

In this adult novel taken from the land of Oz, you learn who Elphaba, the WWoW is and how she got to be wicked.  It's interesting for many reasons, but one is that the book has themes of homosexuality, transgederism and intersexuality.  Through the entire story you are never quite sure what kind of genitals Elphaba has.
  •  

Susan

Quote from: Lisbeth on August 19, 2005, 05:04:19 PM
Has anybody else read Wicked: The Life And Times of The Wicked Witch of The West?

In this adult novel taken from the land of Oz, you learn who Elphaba, the WWoW is and how she got to be wicked.  It's interesting for many reasons, but one is that the book has themes of homosexuality, transgederism and intersexuality.  Through the entire story you are never quite sure what kind of genitals Elphaba has.

It's a great book and one I have just recently read. There is a hit Broadway musical of the same name with a incredible soundtrack. I highly recommend getting both the book and the soundtrack. They are also coming out with Son of a Witch by the same author as wicked and the Wicked Grimmerie: The musical tie-in book about Wicked both will be released soon.

If you are curious about the musical or want a quick sample of the songs before buying the soundtrack check out the below links.

Windows Media player trailer
240 x 136 - 128k bps
320 x 180 - 300k bps
480 x 270 - 700k bps

or Quicktime trailer

240 x 152 - 128k bps
320 x 196 - 300k bps
480 x 286 - 700k bps
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Lisbeth

The thing I find fascinating about the story is the theme of "boarders."  The distinction between animals and Animals.  What happens when a Munchkin and a Quadling have a baby, Elphaba's sister, the Wicked Witch of the East.  Both and neither, Elphaba is even more on the boarder between two worlds, between life and Life, between Oz and the Other World.
  •  

Susan

you might also find it interesting but there are many of the Wizard of Oz books online for free, plus other information about them :)

http://www.welcometooz.net/

Do you want me to answer some of your questions here? I think it would end up being a spoiler for those who havn't read it. But yes I find some of the same things interesting. I also saw vast parrellels between it's governmental structure and our current administration.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

amberctm

Wow, My sister went to New York last year and saw the musical! She said it was great!
Amber
  •