Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I hate the term "transsexual"

Started by BloodLeopard, November 24, 2010, 04:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imadique

I hate being called Transgendered. I have no problem with transvestites, gender fluid/genderqueer (I have a lot of respect for/curiosity about people in this category), Drag Queens/Kings etc: I just don't identify with them at all, their experience is not the same as my experience and even if it's not politically correct to say so around these boards I get offended if people equate me to a Transvestite, because I feel that undermines my whole identity. I also get annoyed at the literal meaning of the word - like many others have said my gender is not transitioning, I am Transsexual, not Transgendered.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: BloodLeopard on November 24, 2010, 04:35:03 AM
Does anyone else feel this way?

Interesting older post from the TS db, my answer...

No, actually I prefer "transsexual" over "transgender" myself, as I've changed my sex to match my gender.

That's just me...

C -
  •  

Kylo

Considering the term transgender covers so many sub-categories now, there is more brevity in using the word transsexual if that is what you are.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

DebbySoufflage

I prefer the term transsexual. I like calling myself a non-op transsexual female.
The fact that it indicates that my gender dysphoria was a medical condition is reinforced by the term transsexual.
Transgender is more of an umbrella term and I personally can't relate to a lot of groups under that umbrella. So I prefer transsexual to define myself but I don't speak for others. Everyone should be able to define themself.
  •  

Josie_L

Far too many labels today anyway!

Rather just be me, an individual.
  •