Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

These German Shepherd breeders. What do you think?

Started by Cody Jensen, December 14, 2010, 07:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody Jensen

I was just browsing and looking for German Shepherd breeders when I came across this kennel:

http://www.myguardianangelshepherds.com/

They ask for $2300 for a pup and I am not sure if they are a scam or not because regardless, that is quite a lot to ask for for a dog. I just wanted to make sure so I am asking for your guys' opinions.

EDIT: I am not able to visit their kennel myself because they live so far away from me so unfortunately I will have to buy online and they will ship the dog (should I decide to buy from them). 
Derp

"I just don't know what went wrong!"
  •  

tekla

I would never by a dog online.

I bought my GS from a breeder.  Someone who was only interested in producing show quality dogs.  Since Mac had some weird color issues I got her very, very cheap.  But I asked, and was given, gladly I might add, a bunch of people who had dogs from the same dame and sire.  DON"T EVER BUY A DOG UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN A BUNCH OF THE DAME's AND SIRE's OFFSPRING.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Janet_Girl

I would not purchase a dog without seeing the kennel.
  •  

Laruza

I agree with not purchasing until you visit the breeders and/or kennel where they are at.

My first dog we got from a place (something like a pet hotel, though I guess it's just an elaborate pound), and my other my mother bought at a pet store in the mall.. But they are both priceless to me. Is there any way you can visit similar places near you possibly?
  •  

V M

I would be rather careful about buying a dog online... German Shepherds are a great bread of dog, but each dog is an individual living being with varying traits

Your intended use of the animal is also an important factor... Do you wish it for a pet? Guard dog?

I've known some German Shepherd breeders... They would monitor and separate out the "Workable dogs' from the others

Buying online may be opening you up to a craps shoot... How is the reputation of the company?
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Janet_Girl

God Dee you have brought up how much I miss my baby.  He was blind and could not remember things.  And he was also a big dog.

Josh, find a reputable breeder.  Have records that the puppy is health.
  •  

lilacwoman

website is impressive so the dog could be very good quality and suitable for training for a lot of duties.
But if you only want a house dog then pay less at a local kennels where you can check a pup's friendliness and physical condition.

I didn't realise GS could get to 110 pounds.
  •  

Noah G.

That is kind of much for a GSD...even from a good working kennel (haven't looked enough to say if this breeder is, though personally I wouldn't buy from them myself).

I have to ask though...what all are you planning to do with this dog? I know you want a dog that could potentially protect, but what do you plan to actually do with the dog?

The sort of lines those dogs come from aren't the "average" Shepherd and can often require their owner to step up quite a bit. Czech lines especially -- I don't know enough about the Belgian lines to say where they fall. Czech Shepherds can be pretty hard, serious dogs though. East German/DDR-type Shepherds have challenges as well, but are generally not quite as serious as the Czechs. Belgian working lines are probably pretty intense for GSDs as well (i.e. not for the casual owner unless they're willing to work).

What sort of experience do you have owning dogs?

If these are answered in a different thread then feel free to point me to it, but I wouldn't recommend those lines to someone looking to be just the average dog owner or someone without a fair amount of experience.
  •  

Cody Jensen

Dee, I am so sorry for your loss. I have a Pomeranian, I can only imagine what it would do to me if I lost her. Right now she is my everything.

Noah, I plan to have the dog as a pet. Probably will end up doing some agility with it. Maybe, just maybe even show it (and for this I assume I will need to buy from show lines?). I am always a bit worried that I may not be able to handle a Shepherd because they are such powerful dogs, but they are my dream dogs. I am thinking one day I will own one, but not now...
Derp

•  

Noah G.

If you're saying "probably would end up doing some agility" I would make sure on that, and to what extent, before looking at a working-line dog. You wouldn't necessarily need to buy from a show breeder if you would like to show, but if you do get one from a breeder who shows they could mentor you in that aspect as well; if you get a working line dog you may need to keep conformation in mind when considering who and from what dogs to get a pup, and even then don't necessarily expect to get into big-time shows (which would be expensive to do anyways), but you could probably put some points on the dog at the very least.

Not all breeders of GSDs who show deserve the rep that they get: there are actually several breeders who do conformation showing and also breed for a more moderate look and also personally title their dogs in obedience, agility, even work them in things such as search and rescue or tracking. They also produce dogs who can perform. The key is finding an excellent breeder -- their dogs aren't necessarily any more cost-wise than others. You may very well not be able to title them in a bite sport (though I think some have produced dogs not too long ago who titled), and they certainly wouldn't qualify for police K9 work, but you didn't mention wanting to do any bite sports and the dogs who quite often are candidates for K9 work aren't going to a pet home anyways. This, however, doesn't mean that these dogs won't step up if called to protect, but neither does getting one from working lines (some of which aren't as much working lines as people are lead to believe) -- that comes down to more than what their type is. Similarly, working lines aren't necessarily healthier or sturdier than show lines, they're actually about matched up there when comparing good or excellent breeder to good or excellent breeder. The quality of breeder matters the most.

On a final note, the key to handling powerful dogs is building a good relationship and training the dog, which really often go hand-in-hand. What people call show line Shepherds are often more known for their obedience (i.e. titles and such) than the working lines which can be more independent-minded or require you to earn their respect first -- the reasons these dogs have been and are being bred requires more decision-making on their part (particularly the Czechs) whereas the show lines have been bred more for companionship in mind. Again, some of the best show line breeders breed for more than just show and companionship, but companionship is higher on their priorities than is often the case for the working line breeders (though the sport breeders I've had the most experience with take the cake as far as not keeping companionship in mind).
  •  

V M

I'm wondering how one would work out for doing Doggie Dancing competitions  :laugh:

*Runs to hide*
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Noah G.

Quote from: Virginia Marie on December 15, 2010, 08:00:12 PM
I'm wondering how one would work out for doing Doggie Dancing competitions  :laugh:

*Runs to hide*

Hahaha! Probably pretty well! Though, I'd definitely go more towards show line for that -- they're probably more temperamentally suited for that kind of competition. ;)
  •  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: Noah G. on December 15, 2010, 07:42:03 PM
If you're saying "probably would end up doing some agility" I would make sure on that, and to what extent, before looking at a working-line dog. You wouldn't necessarily need to buy from a show breeder if you would like to show, but if you do get one from a breeder who shows they could mentor you in that aspect as well; if you get a working line dog you may need to keep conformation in mind when considering who and from what dogs to get a pup, and even then don't necessarily expect to get into big-time shows (which would be expensive to do anyways), but you could probably put some points on the dog at the very least.

Not all breeders of GSDs who show deserve the rep that they get: there are actually several breeders who do conformation showing and also breed for a more moderate look and also personally title their dogs in obedience, agility, even work them in things such as search and rescue or tracking. They also produce dogs who can perform. The key is finding an excellent breeder -- their dogs aren't necessarily any more cost-wise than others. You may very well not be able to title them in a bite sport (though I think some have produced dogs not too long ago who titled), and they certainly wouldn't qualify for police K9 work, but you didn't mention wanting to do any bite sports and the dogs who quite often are candidates for K9 work aren't going to a pet home anyways. This, however, doesn't mean that these dogs won't step up if called to protect, but neither does getting one from working lines (some of which aren't as much working lines as people are lead to believe) -- that comes down to more than what their type is. Similarly, working lines aren't necessarily healthier or sturdier than show lines, they're actually about matched up there when comparing good or excellent breeder to good or excellent breeder. The quality of breeder matters the most.

On a final note, the key to handling powerful dogs is building a good relationship and training the dog, which really often go hand-in-hand. What people call show line Shepherds are often more known for their obedience (i.e. titles and such) than the working lines which can be more independent-minded or require you to earn their respect first -- the reasons these dogs have been and are being bred requires more decision-making on their part (particularly the Czechs) whereas the show lines have been bred more for companionship in mind. Again, some of the best show line breeders breed for more than just show and companionship, but companionship is higher on their priorities than is often the case for the working line breeders (though the sport breeders I've had the most experience with take the cake as far as not keeping companionship in mind).

So you are saying that should I decide I want a Shepherd for companion purpose only, I should get a dog from a show line, not a working line. I will remember to bear that in mind when looking for a breeder. Thank you for all this advice. I see you truly love dogs and clearly know a LOT about Shepherds! 
Derp

•  

Noah G.

I think you're more likely to find what you're looking for from a good show line breeder who also prides themselves in that their dogs can perform outside of the ring as well. These same breeders will also be doing the testing that you should be looking for and asking to see as well.

I made a decision a while back that my first breeder pup will be a GSD and have been learning and absorbing as much as I can about them and the different types and lines (which is fascinating regardless, I think) in preparation. I've learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn as well. Research really is key when it comes to dogs and deciding what breed and type and lines and all of that.
  •  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: Noah G. on December 15, 2010, 09:45:01 PM
I think you're more likely to find what you're looking for from a good show line breeder who also prides themselves in that their dogs can perform outside of the ring as well. These same breeders will also be doing the testing that you should be looking for and asking to see as well.

I made a decision a while back that my first breeder pup will be a GSD and have been learning and absorbing as much as I can about them and the different types and lines (which is fascinating regardless, I think) in preparation. I've learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn as well. Research really is key when it comes to dogs and deciding what breed and type and lines and all of that.

You are right. Researching is definitely key. Thanks again
Derp

•  

regan

There are plenty of good dogs waiting for forever homes in animal shelters.  The average family dog doesn't need to be a purebred (mine isn't).
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

TinFoilIdiot

Half the fun of getting a pup is going to the breeder and picking it out yourself.

So yeah, i would find a breeder closer to home.
  •