Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

heavy metal book club!

Started by alia, January 02, 2011, 03:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alia

OK kiddos, here's the rules. Bring a song, and post that >-bleeped-<. Let's talk about the most br00tal breakdowns and the most shreddingest of riffage.

My current jams have been mostly tech death and grind.

Cephalic Carnage- Endless Cycle of Violence.

This band >-bleeped-<ing shreds. I love that opening riff. Really great breakdown about halfway through too. this band really knows how to slow it waaaaay down when it needs to be the new heavy.

All around great shreddingness.

Next:

The Faceless: XenoChrist

This band is as technically proficient as Cephalic Carnage, but they don't get quite as esoteric and jazzy. They DO, however, have sweet black metal parts, especially in this song. Black metal is >-bleeped-<ing sweet when you subtract the queer hate and the church burning, and add in just a little technical proficiency.

•  

Double_Rainbow

Pretty beast breakdowns!

However, I'm always partial too:

Yeah I know you prob. already know them, but I can't help it.  I love me some progressiveness! ;D
I mean, they even find a place to throw in some HonkyTonk piano in there!
  •  

alia

I'd love to see Dream Theater live. What an amazing band! Honestly though, I prefer a bit more brutality.

Opeth anyone?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0UxS6r49OlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0UxS6r49OlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  •  

tekla

Opeth is an awesome band live, if Dream Theater was half as good as they though they were they might be OK, but as they are they pretty much prove my slogan that 'if you can't bring talent, bring production.'
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Nathan.

Anyone here like Katatonia? if so what do you prefer new or old?

Older Katatonia
youtube.com/watch?v=LIl50JVT0f8

Newer Katatonia
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZvymwExX6s

On the heavier side of metal I love Anaal Nathrakh

Anaal Nathrakh - Between >-bleeped-< And Piss We Are Born
  •  

Double_Rainbow

Quote from: tekla on January 03, 2011, 02:06:43 PM
Opeth is an awesome band live, if Dream Theater was half as good as they though they were they might be OK, but as they are they pretty much prove my slogan that 'if you can't bring talent, bring production.'

I fail to see how they don't bring talent.  Elaborate?  I play a few instruments...their  stuff aint that easy to play.
  •  

alia

Bands can be sick on an album, and lame live. Look at Unearth. Band is a robot on the albums. It's total video game metal. But live they're a little shoddy. Same with Killswitch.

Don't look down on me for killswitch. Guilty pleasure.

Also...

HIMSA

Who >-bleeped-<ing adores this band as much as me? No clean vocals, super sweet riffage, and none too hard! (which means I can play it)

RAIN TO THE SOUND OF PANIC

•  

Double_Rainbow

Quote from: alia on January 04, 2011, 12:07:30 AM
Bands can be sick on an album, and lame live. Look at Unearth. Band is a robot on the albums. It's total video game metal. But live they're a little shoddy. Same with Killswitch.

Dragonforce comes to mind.   ;D  Though I don't particularly like them anyways.

Yeah Himsa pretty cool, gets the blood pumping!
  •  

alia

•  

Lacey Lynne

Awesome thread, hon!

Love your posts.  Rock this place!  Great songs here.

Okay, young 'uns, flashback with Ole Lacey Girl to her time ... long ago ... far away ... 1960s and 1970s ... back in The Day:

Christalmighty Riffage:

Frigginawesome Riffage:

Ballstothewall Riffage:

Downanddirty Riffage:

Greatestriffinrockhistory Riffage:

Okay, so I'm Yesterday's News, a Museum Piece, a Flashback Freak!  DAMN RIGHT!  May I say that I'm altogether and thoroughly content in my antiquarianism?  Sho' 'nuff!!!

Peace Out    8)   Lacey Lynne

Postscript:

It's your world now, kiddies.  The torch of rock has been passed on to you.  This old-timer is on board with your tunes.  ROCK ON!
Believe.  Persist.  Arrive.    :D

Julie Vu (Princess Joules) Rocks!  "Hi, Sunshine Sparkle Faces!" she says!
  •  

N.Chaos

Quote from: Nathan. on January 03, 2011, 03:57:45 PM
Anyone here like Katatonia? if so what do you prefer new or old?

Older Katatonia
youtube.com/watch?v=LIl50JVT0f8

Newer Katatonia
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZvymwExX6s

On the heavier side of metal I love Anaal Nathrakh

Anaal Nathrakh - Between >-bleeped-< And Piss We Are Born

I LOVE Katatonia. I'll probably get called a heretic (I'm not big into metal to be honest) but I love everything from Discouraged Ones on. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my absolute favorite, though.
  •  

Nathan.

Quote from: N.Chaos on March 06, 2011, 01:22:09 AM
I LOVE Katatonia. I'll probably get called a heretic (I'm not big into metal to be honest) but I love everything from Discouraged Ones on. Last Fair Deal Gone Down is my absolute favorite, though.

I prefer old Katatonia but I still love their newer stuff, they're one of my favourite bands. Brave Murder Day is my favourite Katatonia album.
  •  

Princess Rachel

•