Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Changing My Name

Started by Britney_413, January 05, 2011, 02:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britney_413

Hi everyone. I'm going down to the courthouse tomorrow to submit the forms to get the name change process started. At least in Arizona they require a fee and a hearing where the judge can approve or deny the change. From what I've read the decisions are generally based on whether or not the name change is done to flee from the law, not for any other reason. My question for those of you who have done this is what difficulty if any you have run into. Did you have an attorney represent you? Is that necessary? Anyone get denied out of prejudice due to being trans? I want this process to be as painless as possible and would be much chepaer without hiring an attorney. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
  •  

Renate

I guess that it would still be possible today for a judge to deny a name change on discriminatory grounds, but I can't see that happening.
There could be some restrictions if you are a convicted sex offender.
They basically want to make sure that if you have any major debts that you have informed those you owe money to.

In most cases the entire process will only take a few minutes.

Don't forgot to check out a Financial Waiver Affidavit if you are poor and can't afford the fees.
  •  

Britney_413

Well I went down there today. It cost $301 and I wasn't eligible for a deferment or waiver as I make too much. Personally, I don't think I make much money at all. The problem with our system though is that if you basically have a job at all then "you make too much" and don't qualify but if you don't work or collect welfare then you get everything free. That probably means that because many people do get the fee waived that they increase it on people like me to make up the difference. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping it doesn't take months to get the hearing scheduled. I'll find out Tuesday about when my hearing date will be.
  •