Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Cakes!

Started by Yakshini, January 08, 2011, 11:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yakshini

It is pretty much my dream to go to culinary school and have my own business as a cake decorator. I suppose my inspiration came from all those shows on TV like Cake Boss and Ultimate Cake Off. Thankfully, one of my talents happens to be making delicious desserts. Heck, I can even immodestly say that I have made boxed recipes and had people thinking it was from scratch. Aside from cakes, cookies, etc. I hate cooking. But cake decorating has become of great interest to me.

I'm very inexperienced in cake decorating. A good friend of mine and myself decorated a cake together. Here was our first attempt at decorating...

The piping around the edges is horrific, but would have been a lot better if we had a rotating cake turner instead of needing to stop every few inches to adjust the cake. The names are of all the people present when we made the cake and ate it. :p
It also turns out that I am a pro at dealing with fondant. :)

Does anyone else have an interest in cake decorating? Or have a few awesome recipes for me to try out?
  •  

rexgsd

well im not very good at decorating, only time i did was when i made a cake for my friend in highschool and made the front of a dodge charger on the front with frosting and gel lol it was >-bleeped-<ty though. but i did just make a Queen of Sheba cake. i got the french chef/julia child dvds from my dad and watched that episode and made it. it was really good! and not even too difficult to make. its basically a chocolate, rum, and almond cake =) i could give you the recipe if youre interested
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

Yakshini

I'm interested. I'd like to try out a bunch of interesting recipes. :)
  •  

rexgsd

theres the one i did ^ ^

okay heres the recipe i copied from watching the episode, hope it makes sense lol.

Queen Sheba Cake

8 inch by 1.5 cake pan
4 oz (2/3 c.) semi-sweet baking chocolate
1 stick (4 oz) soft unsalted butter
¾ cake flour
Almond extract
2 tbs Rum
3 eggs, separated
2/3 c sugar
Almonds

Preheat to 350 degrees
Rack in middle

Butter pan, then flour

Melt chocolate w/rum in double boiler

Sift flour into measuring cup

Cream butter and sugar together
Add egg yolks

Beat egg whites
(add ¼ cream of tarter. Salt)

Add chocolate to mixture
1/3 crushed almonds
¼ almond extract
¾ c flour

Fold egg whites in

Glaze
_____

Melted chocolate
Beat in 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
Cool down before icing

☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

Janet_Girl

Cakes!!!!  * faceplants into both cakes*  While I have never tried to decorate cakes that way, you guys have got a talent.
  •  

Flan

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Jacquelyn

I love baking. Whenever I am stressed or upset I tend to bake... a lot. I enjoy doing it any time though. I try new recipes all the time.

One of my boyfriends favorite things (nothing fancy, just something he really likes me to make) is jello cake. It's super easy and especially good when it is hot out. I usually just get a box of white cake mix (or vanilla), make it according to the directions. When it is finished baking poke small holes throughout it (a toothpick usually works best). While the cake is still hot you mix jello mix and ladle it over the cake. After you are done adding the jello mix place the cake in the fridge to cool and set. Right before you are ready to serve the cake you ice it with cool whip.

His favorite flavors are orange or strawberry. The orange tastes like an orange creamsicle. It's delicious! For my sister's birthday I made 4 different flavors (grape, lime, orange, and strawberry) and placed them all together like one giant sheetcake. Like I said, nothing fancy, but it is very yummy.
"Love is in fact so unnatural a phenomenon that it can scarcely repeat itself, the soul being unable to become virgin again and not having energy enough to cast itself out again into the ocean of another."

~James Joyce
  •  

Yakshini

Flan, the very image of that cake sent a shudder down my spine. I want it so bad.  :o
  •  

V M

OMG... Yummy cakes!!!

My fav.s are German chocolate cake and Cheese cake... And if there's cherry pie and ice cream... Just lock the doors, shut the windows and hold tight till I'm done

Oh, I love reliving the old days... But I actually don't eat allot of sweets these days... As tempting as they may be

I do love to see them for some reason though  ???
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

ninjaboi

I Love cakes, any cakes. Dont bake very often, but i do a very nice key lime pie if that counts. I usually rely on the bakery!
  •  

justmeinoz

Yakshini you sound like my daughter.  "I don't cook, I just bake!" :laugh:
I used to work with a woman who considered "food" meant cake!  She wouldn't go to an  office Birthday afternoon tea if there wasn't "food" on the table. ::)
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Rawrditosis

Okay this isn't actually a cake, it's a bread... but it might as well be!

Monkey Bubble Bread:

•  

Lee

Quote from: Canditosis on July 24, 2011, 12:46:02 AM
Monkey Bubble Bread:

Holy deliciousness batman!  I have no idea what that is, but it made me instantly hungry.
Oh I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love

A blah blog
http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,365.0.html
  •  

V M

Quote from: Lee on July 24, 2011, 12:50:48 AM
Holy deliciousness batman!  I have no idea what that is, but it made me instantly hungry.
Not sure, but it looks like a cake my mom would make using bread balls and caramel... Oh, and she would add either cashews or walnuts
Yes, delicious
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Rawrditosis

Quote from: V M on July 24, 2011, 01:06:27 AM
Not sure, but it looks like a cake my mom would make using bread balls and caramel... Oh, and she would add either cashews or walnuts
Yes, delicious

That's the one. :) They've actually been dipped in butter and rolled in brown sugar and cinnamon, though.
  •  

N.Chaos

Hot damn. I gotta ask Ben to make me a cake now, you guys are killing me with the omnomnoms! I can't bake worth crap, except for brownies. I made some damn good brownies.

•  

justmeinoz

I have a great Ice Cream Cake recipe.

600 ml of  thickened cream
1 can , 400ml,  of  condensed milk
a few drops of vanilla essence.

Mix until it is really stiff, then gently fold in a crumbled Mint "Aero" bar.

Freeze. Eat  NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •