News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Post-op Question

Started by caleb727, January 11, 2011, 12:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caleb727

hey guys,

so today marks two weeks post-op for me and i'm starting to go a little stir crazy... i'm at the point where it doesn't hurt to do much (i still can't reach for anything quite yet) so i'm pretty high functioning but a few things are still driving me nuts...

how long until you guys stopped wearing the compression vest 24/7? i slept without it last night and it was so wonderful but i don't know how long until i can not wear it during the day, too.

how long until you guys were sleeping on your side or stomach again? i would imagine stomach would take longer, but i'll take my side at this point. i'm super frustrated with being stuck on my back since it's not a natural position for me at all.

last question, how long until you guys were able to actually carry things? i start classes in two weeks and i'm not quite sure whether or not i'll be able to carry my books.

thanks in advance!
cale
  •  

M.Grimm

I had a DI. I wore the compression vest for a full 6 weeks day and night. For another week I would take it off for hours but wore it to sleep, and the week after that, I wore it only to sleep. I was able to carefully sleep on my side with the help of a pillow propped at my back at 6 weeks. My scars are really long, though, due to having a lot of tissue removed; so the recovery took a little longer.

I was able to carry things at 4 weeks, although my surgeon cautioned me to not carry anything heavier than 5 lbs until 6 weeks post-op. I erred on the side of caution to make sure I didn't strain healing tissue or stretch my scars. I really was not able to wear a backpack or bag over my shoulders/chest until 6 weeks afterwards, though.
  •  

Logan1986

my compression binder was really itchy and I was dying to take it off but they made me keep it on for a week after surgery. At my week post-op appointment they let me leave without it.
I can't remember exactly how long it took before I slept on my side/front but I think it was around the time my nipples had healed enough not to have to keep them moist 24/7 (about a month?) It was hard for me too, try propping up a lot of pillows and sleeping at an angle. That helped me a lot.
You definitely don't want to hurt yourself by carrying too much, purhaps you can talk to your teachers and explain that you had surgery. Maybe they will be kind enough to let you keep your books at school for a little while?
  •  

jakekidd1987

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to recommend the compression shirt I used after my gynecomastia surgery. It was the Esteem Apparel shirt. I didn't find it itchy, but it could be seen sometimes underneath some t-shirts.

<link removed by moderator>
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: jakekidd1987 on February 24, 2019, 05:22:37 PM
Hi, I know this is an old post, but I wanted to recommend the compression shirt I used after my gynecomastia surgery. It was the Esteem Apparel shirt. I didn't find it itchy, but it could be seen sometimes underneath some t-shirts.
@jakekidd1987
Dear JakeKidd:
    I am happy to see that you found the Susan's Place Forums.

As you post on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you are.   I expect that you will be getting many members offering their thoughts and suggestions as you continue to post here. 

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation and as you continue to feel free to share with all of us.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

I have attached important and informative LINKS that will help you to navigate around the Forums and will allow you to enjoy the features here.     
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read

****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@jakekidd1987     
Oh, and another thing JakeKidd...
Please plan to write a post and briefly introduce yourself in the Introductions Forum so that other members will be aware of your arrival... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will let you have your thread back so you can pursue answers to your questions.
Other members here will certainly be along to give you their comments and suggestions that you may be seeking
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •