Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Throat clearing & coughing - give aways?

Started by Rosa, January 15, 2011, 06:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosa

I feel like when I cough or have to clear my throat (asthma and sinus problems) it really sounds masculine.  For those who have or are working on voice, do you try to change the way you cough and clear your throat or just not worry about it?
  •  

Just Shelly

Boy the things you see on here.

I am always conscious about this when presenting (which isn't too often)

I have sinus issues as well, my nose is constantly dripping from different temperature changes, and if I don't blow it just migrates down, so ya I have to clear the throat.

I will purposely try and clear more through my nose and definitely muffle it.

I was recently at  Bath & Body Works,  because of the cold weather up here,  I did have to clear a couple of times, matter a fact I did a little one while checking out. The cashier was letting me know something about product I bought, before I answered I cleared to make sure my voice sounded at least somewhat presentable, it didn't even startle her.

and I too think mine sounds masculine as well as my voice.

Good luck
Shelly
  •  

Janet_Girl

I have found that, if you remember to always have your voice echo as a head voice, coughing will sound more female.
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Yes I think my voice sounds male when I cough.
QuoteI have found that, if you remember to always have your voice echo as a head voice, coughing will sound more female.
Please Janet tell us how you make your cough echo? ???
I really don't understand.  :embarrassed:
I know I'm a little dense at times.  ??? Did I just say that?  :o
Jillieann
  •  

Janet_Girl

Sorry.  Maybe echo is the wrong word.   But you should be able to find the head voice, which is what you should be using for talking.  So when I cough, it kind of bounces from throat to head voice.  Like an echo would do.

Does that make it clear as mud?  ???
  •  

Just Shelly

Quote from: Janet Lynn on January 16, 2011, 11:23:43 AM
Sorry.  Maybe echo is the wrong word.   But you should be able to find the head voice, which is what you should be using for talking.  So when I cough, it kind of bounces from throat to head voice.  Like an echo would do.

Does that make it clear as mud?  ???

No, I don't understand what your writing, but I completely understand what your saying. :P

Its hard to explain. You did a good job though. ;D
  •  

tekla

The 'tells' are almost always the little things, not the huge ones.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Rock_chick

I think i just learnt how to clear my throat while kind of holding the same kind of feeling I have when speaking...it probably doesn't sound too good.

Sneezing however, some how I've always had really dainty and girly sneezes
  •  

rejennyrated

I do have to say that I think this is possibly a touch of perfectionism taken to the n'th degree.

I have never worried bout my cough, nor have I EVER in nearly 30 years have had even the slightest suspicion that my cough or throat clearing sounds any different to any other girl. - and yes I know I was exceptionally lucky with my voice, but in all truth I doubt anyone would be paying that much attention to your cough anyway.
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Thanks Janet, ???
I think, I understand. But my voice is naturally feminine, so all I had to do was soften it and that has become natural for me.
But I will have to try it next time I start coughing.
Quotewhen I cough, it kind of bounces from throat to head voice.  Like an echo would do.
::)

QuoteI do have to say that I think this is possibly a touch of perfectionism taken to the n'th degree.
Could be Jenny. But I too have sinus problems and cough allot.
Jillieann
  •  

toxicblue

I find my coughs and throat clearings do sound a little weird, but not as bad if, like said above, you do so with the same tone that you speak in.  It might take some reaction time skills, though.
  •  

Sera

This sounds like it would be a big issue for me.  Mostly so with sneezing.  I do not sneeze like a woman, nor a man.  I sneeze like a human sounds when they are vomiting up stomach acid.  All people are shocked/surprised when I sneeze because in appearance I am slightly feminine, and suddenly -stares-

I muffle my coughs even, but I do that just because I do not want to cough.  Right now I am just a person, but maybe you can try coughing with your mouth closed? I do not know if that is possible, maybe I am not coughing at all.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

Your cough should come from your throat if you ABSOLUTELY have to do it. It's counter-intuitive because if you have something deep in your chest and you want to have a productive cough you'll want to go deep. Don't. It sounds bad. Tighten up your throat and cough like from your throat/back of mouth. I know I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this, lol. I'll try to do it on my next video or something.

You shouldn't clear your throat, it isn't good for your voice. Many times, especially if you have nasal/throat issues, clearing your throat becomes more of a habit than a necessity. Drink a lot of water and swallow. You should get in the habit of taking deep swallows instead of constantly clearing it. Once you get used to doing that, it'll become second nature and it won't be something you even think about anymore :) meghan
  •  

pebbles

Well with me slight coughs sound female and I do them in my upper registers however I do make some pretty unusual deep male noises when I'm choking my guts up. Such as yesterday when I managed to get a face full of chlorine gas.

Dispite my alien anatomy granting me odd resistance to deadly chemicals such as ethidum bromide I'm apprently not immune to mustard gas.

But then I make some pretty odd deep noises when I'm puking too. it's just an unfortunate fact of having a fouled up voice box *sigh*
  •  

Devlyn

Holy smoke! I never even thought about this. I sneeze just like my Dad used to, five or eight big ones right in a row. That's not very dainty, now is it?
  •  

Debra

Quote from: Robertina on January 15, 2011, 06:06:46 PM
I feel like when I cough or have to clear my throat (asthma and sinus problems) it really sounds masculine.  For those who have or are working on voice, do you try to change the way you cough and clear your throat or just not worry about it?

My voice teacher tried to teach me throat clearing. I still can't get it right. It's a very masculine throat clear. The way she taught it to me ...it just doesn't clear my throat LOL. So I just try not to do it....technically it's not good for your vocal chords anyway in the long run.

I have learned how to make my cough sound more feminine though...it's more abouit how you shape your mouth when you cough...try to eeify it =) As for sneezing, I feel like adding some high pitched notes to the middle through the end of the sneeze seems to help it sound more feminine.

Funny stuff but true =)

•  

Nigella

Quote from: Robertina on January 15, 2011, 06:06:46 PM

yes its a dead give away but you can train yourself to cough and clear throat in a female sounding way without sounding like micky mouse

Stardust
  •  

Rosa

I've discovered that a few light coughs will sometimes take care of the need to clear my throat, but when the asthma is bad I still sound like I'm hacking up a lung.
  •  

Virginia

I discovered the secret to coughing and sneezing quite accidentally. It's amazingly simple once you know how- just empty your lungs of air before you cough or sneeze; it takes all the power out of the sound Yup, that's really all there is to it :)
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •