Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Micro-chipping

Started by Shang, January 19, 2011, 06:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shang

I guess this is more of a plea than anything else. 

I found a beautiful orange and white cat roaming my apartment complex and I couldn't find his owner.  I couldn't keep him because I'm heavily allergic to cats so I had to take him to the Humane Society branch here.  I found out he didn't have a microchip, something that the society offers for $25 or less.  This cat is so sweet and loving and really needs a good home, but he will probably be put down if no one comes and gets him.  He probably belonged to someone, who may or may not be looking for him, because of his attitude towards people and because he knew what a door was:  the thing that opened up so he could go inside and be warm.  However, because he wasn't micro-chipped, his owner wasn't able to be notified and if they don't check the Humane Society within 7 days, he may be put down due to an overabundance of animals at the shelter.  It breaks my heart that this animal may be put down because he couldn't be identified.

Please, people, microchip your pet.  Many shelters will microchip your pet for a small fee and it lasts a lifetime. If you don't want your pet to wind up like numerous other animals that are lost or strays, then fork out the fee and microchip your pet.  (And spay and neuter your pet so there will be less pets in the shelters.)
  •  

Meechii

Not sure if  you'll get this.(as in its an old post) But I got my baby girl tattooed.
Doesnt it have the same effect. Still pondering a microchip.
Thanks
  •  

CFPrice

Meechii -- tattoos have a limited range of where they're registered. Usually only the vets who did it have records. It provides easy identification for you, but not for anyone who finds the animal. A microchip uses a scanner that most vets should be able to read and access the owner's info.
  •  

justmeinoz

Just check to make sure the local Pound use a scanner that will read the chip in your pet.  For a time locally there were 3 brands of microchip in use, and the local council scanners could only read one.  Vets here use tattoos to show the animal has a chip now.
Karen
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •