Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Is owning a Pomeranian considered girly?

Started by Cody Jensen, January 21, 2011, 09:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody Jensen

I asked a similar question a while back. What do you guys personally think?
Derp

"I just don't know what went wrong!"
  •  

Elijah3291

I would say, yes definitely.  But there is nothing wrong with it, if you like the breed you like the breed
  •  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: Laura91 on January 21, 2011, 10:05:53 PM
I agree. The only things you shouldn't do is bring it bowling, buy it a beer or let it take someone's turn.

Not so sure I understand what you're saying =P
Well. I already own a Pomeranian. So when I transition into a boy, does this mean I'm in trouble or something?
Derp

•  

V M

Poms are great for field goal kicking practice  >:-)  Just kidding... Obviously not my fav. dog though

Almost forgot... Poms are one of the definitive girly dogs... Sorry

Don't worry about it  ;) A pet is a pet and who doesn't love their pets? Plenty of guys own poms also

I actually love all animals... Even if I kid around sometimes
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cody Jensen

^ Can someone respond to my other question? =P
Derp

•  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: Virginia Marie on January 21, 2011, 10:31:47 PM
Poms are great for field goal kicking practice  >:-)  Just kidding... Obviously not my fav. dog though

Almost forgot... Poms are one of the definitive girly dogs... Sorry

Don't worry about it  ;) A pet is a pet and who doesn't love their pets? Plenty of guys own poms also

I actually love all animals... Even if I kid around sometimes

Actually yeah. I don't think I need to worry. I don't even know why I asked this question. But anyways, my dad's girlfriend's male 40+ year old cousin owns two malteses and he's straight and everything. He even owns a shop for dog clothing and outfits and designs them himself. I suppose I have nothing to worry about.
Derp

•  

Janet_Girl

Is owning a Pom girly?  Only if you are a girl.  Otherwise you may come off gay, really gay.

Is there anything wrong with own a Pom?  Absolutely not.  You like the breed.  And being it is a cute little fluffy ball, it can be a chick magnet.  Which off sets the Really gay comment.
  •  

babykittenful

This has to be one of the weirdest question I've heard!

Are you actually afraid that owning a cute animal will make you less manly? Out family dog is a Shih Tzu mixed with a Pomeranian. The result is 4 and a half pound of pure cuteness (and evil). My father, who by no means could be considered "girly" love that dog as much as anyone in the house and never questioned his manliness while relating to it (well, maybe a few times just to kid around, but that I'm pretty sure it's not the issue here.). Actually, my father is my dog's favorite master (every dog has one)! I have noticed, however, that in order to keep his "manliness" about the dog, my father likes to refer to him as "4 ans a half pound of muscle".

Personally, I think "cute" stuff doesn't mean that only girls can like it. It would be as if saying that any man keeping a garden is "girly", which couldn't be farther from truth. And just as Janet said, a cute dog is a girl magnet, so someone would have to be pretty dumb to think that simply because you relate to something cute, you are somehow less of a man.

•  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: babykittenful on January 22, 2011, 04:11:23 PM
This has to be one of the weirdest question I've heard!

Are you actually afraid that owning a cute animal will make you less manly? Out family dog is a Shih Tzu mixed with a Pomeranian. The result is 4 and a half pound of pure cuteness (and evil). My father, who by no means could be considered "girly" love that dog as much as anyone in the house and never questioned his manliness while relating to it (well, maybe a few times just to kid around, but that I'm pretty sure it's not the issue here.). Actually, my father is my dog's favorite master (every dog has one)! I have noticed, however, that in order to keep his "manliness" about the dog, my father likes to refer to him as "4 ans a half pound of muscle".

Personally, I think "cute" stuff doesn't mean that only girls can like it. It would be as if saying that any man keeping a garden is "girly", which couldn't be farther from truth. And just as Janet said, a cute dog is a girl magnet, so someone would have to be pretty dumb to think that simply because you relate to something cute, you are somehow less of a man.

Also another good point. Why thank you =P
Derp

•  

xAndrewx

Funny question. Not laughing at you just the mental image. I'm picturing you trying to "man-up" your Pomeranian by making him wear a ripped up hunting camouflage dog t-shirt and a huge spike collar or something. I think it takes a real man to be comfortable enough with his masculinity to own a small dog, if that makes sense?

LordKAT

Yup, but whatever.

As to the chick magnet thing, any dog will do. I told my son that because he was too shy to talk to girls, he should walk the dog near them and they would talk to him first. I never had to walk the dog after that since it worked so well.  I just wish it worked for me.
  •  

atheris

I guess any small dog is not "macho" and a Pomeranian is a small dog, but keeping a big "macho" dog in an apartment can be difficult. Macho dogs need a lot of walking and excercise, eat more, etc. If you'd like a really great pet for an apartment, a pomeranian would be a good choice.
  •  

Caldwell

Most people think having a little dog is "girly." But there is no need for a man secure in his masculinity to have a big dog. What would he use it for, protection? As if such a man needs a dog to protect him. It's manly to not care what people think of you doing what you want.
  •  

V M

I like like golden retrievers and labradors, but not for protection... I just love their kinda goofy and friendly dispositions... Plus they are rather smart and trainable... But there is no way I could have one in my apt.  :-\

I would like to have some kind of lil' creature though
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

quinn

It's only "girly" if you carry it around in a purse, like Paris Hilton does with her dog :P
  •  

Juliet

Quote from: Josh T on January 21, 2011, 10:24:25 PM
Well. I already own a Pomeranian. So when I transition into a boy, does this mean I'm in trouble or something?

Yes.  You should get rid of the animal immediately.  Doesn't matter if you love it or not.  Just get rid of it to save your image.  Image is more important. 
"??" :-\

Padma

If you own this kind of Pomeranian, people may look at you askance, whatever your gender.

Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: Juliet on March 19, 2011, 01:17:54 AM
Yes.  You should get rid of the animal immediately.  Doesn't matter if you love it or not.  Just get rid of it to save your image.  Image is more important. 
"??" :-\

No I'm not getting rid of my dog jeez. You know what I mean. It's just people stereotype when they think of small dogs generally they think of a girl carrying a Chihuahua or a Pomeranian around in a purse. I was just thinking out loud when I posted this but I realize I was being stupid. No need to worry people, again I'm NOT getting rid of my dog.
Derp

•  

Superrad

Most small dogs are considered girly pets, but what does that matter? I love small dogs and I don't mind people's opinions. Honestly, I worked at a pet store and saw a giant professional basketball player walk in with his girlfriend and I caught him baby-talking a bunny. He also laughed when he saw the puppies his girlfriend picked, and loved playing with them. I think he's a fantastic example. If you love an animal, why would you care about how it reflects on you. I'm sure your pom doesn't have any care in the world as to what you as an owner reflect on them.  :D
  •  

Cody Jensen

Quote from: Superrad on March 27, 2011, 01:37:04 PM
Most small dogs are considered girly pets, but what does that matter? I love small dogs and I don't mind people's opinions. Honestly, I worked at a pet store and saw a giant professional basketball player walk in with his girlfriend and I caught him baby-talking a bunny. He also laughed when he saw the puppies his girlfriend picked, and loved playing with them. I think he's a fantastic example. If you love an animal, why would you care about how it reflects on you. I'm sure your pom doesn't have any care in the world as to what you as an owner reflect on them.  :D

exactly =P
Derp

•