Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

"I Am J". A new transgender themed book?

Started by Ribbons, January 27, 2011, 05:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribbons

The book apparently hasn't come out yet, btw.

I was on Amazon, looking for more fiction books related to LGB topics, when I came across this one.

A description for it says:

Who is J? Though born a girl, he has known since early childhood that he is really a boy. But how to explain that to his parents, who simply consider him to be a lesbian, or to his best friend, Melissa, whom he loves but who rejects him angrily when he kisses her since she, too, regards him as a girl? Small wonder he is self-hating and angry and determined to mask the female part of his identity. But finally, sick of wearing bandages and multiple layers of baggy clothing to hide his body, he decides to take testosterone so he'll look and sound more male. But he is only 17 and needs parental consent to do this. What to do? The solutions—like his life—are complicated and difficult. But desperate determination and the faithfulness of friends may help him to find himself and the acceptance of others. Beam has written easily the best book to date about the complicated condition of being a transsexual teen, not only sharing important information that is artfully woven into the plot but also creating, in J, a multilayered, absolutely believable character whose pain readers will share. Perhaps most importantly, the author brings clarity and charity to a state of being that has too long been misunderstood, ignored, and deplored. Grades 9-12.

It reminds me of a book I recently brought and read, "Parrotfish". It sounds more up-lifting and descriptive though, plus it's for older kids (Parrotfish was for middle schoolers). I'm so gonna buy it.

It seems transsexuality is getting more attention in children's books lately, especially FtM's. I wonder if that's a sign; the "gay rights" attention is starting to fade already, with more interest in transgender topics appearing.   

Anyone else interested in it?
  •  

Battle_On

•  

Renate

I've read "Parrotfish" and the other book by Cris Beam. I'll read "I Am J" when I can get it at the library.

I Am J (2011) - Cris Beam * Amazon

Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers (2007) - Cris Beam * Amazon * WorldCat

Parrotfish (2007) - Ellen Wittlinger * Amazon * WorldCat
  •