Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Entitlements, not just for the poor, disabled or Elderly

Started by ativan, February 07, 2011, 09:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ativan

Aren't big business tax breaks just another entitlement? Isn't Bachmanns office in DC? Isn't the healthcare insurance she recieves an entitlement? And her farm subsidies? (she doesn't have a farm, least not as any farmer here in MN can figure out). I don't mean to single her out (yes I do), but aren't there just so many republican blowholes out there making a big thing about this when they are actually getting there fair share? Or more?
Who gets the most tax breaks, $ wise? Is it really the poor, the disabled or Elderly?
Wouldn't getting rid of the big corporate tax shelters be enough to really help with the debt they helped create? And the money that is NOT being paid back from those biggies, is that their entitlement?

An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. A "right" is itself an entitlement associated with a moral or social principle, such that an "entitlement" is a provision made in accordance with legal framework of a society. Typically, entitlements are laws based on concepts of principle ("rights") which are themselves based in concepts of social equality or enfranchisement. - wikiwhatever

Aren't the biggest complainers always referring to it as a 'sense' of entitlement?

In a casual sense, the term "entitlement" refers to a notion or belief that one (or oneself) is deserving of some particular reward or benefit[1]—if given without deeper legal or principled cause, the term is often given with pejorative connotation (e.g. a "sense of entitlement"). - wikiwhatever

Maybe it's just my sense of what is right and what is wrong morally.

I don't know, maybe some of those on the far right don't understand that their own sense of entitlement is just that.

Ativan
  •  

tekla

It's only an entitlement if others get it, if you get it it's a right.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Pinkfluff

Quote from: ativan on February 07, 2011, 09:47:04 PM
Aren't big business tax breaks just another entitlement?

Yes. I also find it suspicious when these rich people complain about "entitlements" that many people need to live yet they are so demanding that they be allowed to extract an extra few million from the same people. Everyone is "entitled" to the basic necessities of staying alive -- the right to life is a founding principle of the USA, and I'm sure many other countries have a similar principle. The rich right like to complain whenever anyone talks about healthcare for the poor calling it entitlement in a connotation that it's undeserved, yet they think that they're entitled to expolit the masses for their own profit. It's just more of the usual hypocrisy.

There's nothing wrong with a sense of entitlement when it comes to what you need to live or being treated fairly. There is most definitely something wrong with it when some people think they should get to live in a mansion while others live in the streets. No, sitting behind a desk while others do the bulk of the work for you doesn't entitle you to millions.
  •