Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Goddess worship in the Trangender community :)

Started by PiperEden, February 15, 2011, 03:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiperEden

Ok, I am posting this here because I think Goddess Worship isn't exclusive to Wicca, which I know people probably associate it with. Does anyone else think that they are drawn to the female deity because of our gender?

Even before I came to terms with being transgendered I was just discovering Wicca. I wasn't even even interested in the "God" or "Lord" aspect because I felt I couldn't even relate. Which could be why my 13 years as a Christian was so chaotic and tortured.

I felt this "oneness" with the female divine, that I never ever felt with a masculine figure.

Now, I don't consider myself Wiccan, but still have several parts of my spirituality that are definitely based on concepts I used to be a big adherent of. I think that in "worshiping", or "honoring" which I prefer to call it, the female divine for transgendered MtF can be very beneficial and comforting! Ok.. I don't know what this post is supposed to garner, but hopefully some of you can agree, or disagree? or have similar experiences? :D

Piper
  •  

Pinkfluff

I believe in many Goddesses, but I do think it's natural to feel drawn to them. We need someone to look up to, and often the human females we encounter don't provide us the support we need, even if they are well-intentioned. And let's face it, some things can only come from the Goddesses, that's why they're divine and we're humans!

I was also taught to be Christian but I could never relate to a belief system that only acknowledged one masculine God, especially the way they say we're all created in the image of the Divine. Way to just ignore half the population there...

I call it honoring myself, since I don't believe that the Gods (and I include the Goddesses in this, I don't use it as an exclusively male term) don't need or want our "worship". We are not slaves or servants, but rather daughters (and sons) of Them, who should stand proudly beside Them. Indeed honoring the female Divine is not exclusive to Wicca. Asatruar honor the Goddesses as much as the Gods.
  •  

cynthialee

I have often pondered if my love of the Goddess is a byproduct of being transgender or vice versa.
I came to the conclusion I had been called by the Goddess.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Jennifer_Lynn

Hi,

Since I have pondered transitioning the past two years I have explored a great many things. I have looked back on my life (if you could call it a life) and looked at all the time I should have been dead. I flew aircraft in the Navy for almost ten years. After the Navy I commercial fished with a buddies friend off the west coast. At the begaining of the 3rd season I was sleeping and was awoken to my friend and his wife fighting. He was talking about me and what did I know and so on. I voice said leave. So I got up and got dressed and walked out of my room and quit on the spot. I never looked back. 3 months later he and his new worker were lost at sea. There's a lot more to these stories needless to say, but the point is someone was looking out for me. At the time I did not really look into who it was that saved me those so many times. And why would they save someone like me. For as long as I can remember I knew deep inside I was a female. Zero doubt. I always though it was my female side that was helping me. I was partial right. I believe it was the Goddess Magna Mater that saved me all those times that death was certain. She told me in a dream even before I thought about transition to clean up my life. I have not drank booze in over 3 years. No drugs and I stopped smoking 11 years ago. Now granted these are very good things to do before you start transition, but they are good things to do for life. My head is clear. I feel like I am living in the world and not just on it. And with the addition of HRT into my life I see so many things I used to take for granted for there beauty. I know transition is basically going through a second puberty. But this little girl is no longer afraid. Sure I am careful who I tell and talk to, but I know my soul is being watched over. The Goddess is like my mother who only becomes known when she is needed. But the comfort of her warm loving embrace is very strong.

I have read many of the writing about the Cybele priestess (who were all transsexuals) and there worship of the Great Mother. That's when I realized the voice I heard all those times was actually her. I don't know why she saved me all those time other than I guess my work here is not completed. I'm just sorry I did not listen to her call and transition sooner.

Much love,

Isabella
  •  

cynthialee

Isabella,
I like the cut of your jib.
We are cut of similar cloth.

:)

The Goddess has made a point of taking an interest in me in some very direct ways. My spiritual side is something I do not discuss here often but I am deeply spiritual and a follower of our goddess.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Jennifer_Lynn

Hi Cynthialee,

I rarely discuss my beliefs. Not in front of anyone I know. I have my reasons why I believe what I believe. And I don't share them often. Nice to see a sister who believes as I do.

Isabella
  •  

grrl1nside

I'm definitely attracted by feminine energy and the goddess. To the extent that I have ever been attracted to male gods they were shapeshifters or were engaged in what were aspects of female roles. I never even recognized it when I was growing up, but their stories helped me to accept myself. Half the time, I wonder how I was so blind to myself for so long. I continue to honour the gods and goddesses that have assisted me in my journey but do find it easiest to work with female deities but this is all a work in progress.
  •  

heatherrose

I consider myself a Christian but I do not believe that the diety
that I call The  Creator, I Am, Goddess/God, Lord/Lady has a sex.
Looking at it from a completely pragmatic angle,
of what use would sex be in the spiritual realms, propagation? I would seriously doubt it.
Seeing the general belief is that "Heaven" is populated by spirit beings created by the Almighty.

I do enjoy, when talking to my Christian friends,
refering to The Creator as being female and asking them, when they balk,
"Do you actually believe The Creator is a Man?"     

"I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?" - Fred Rogers
  •  

Amaranth

When I was pagan, I did feel closer to Goddesses than Gods.  I still retain some of the reverence of nature I learned on that path, in sort of a pantheistic way.  I can certainly relate to the comfort of a feminine presence rather than a masculine one, and still view Earth itself in the same light.
  •  

Padma

I've got both going on - except that I don't use the G word for either of them.

But a female 'deity' came into my life big-time a year ago as herald to my awakening womanness, and she's been hugely important to me ever since. She's a not-very-important figure from the Buddhist/Sufi traditions, and her name, Sahajasundari, means something like 'the beauty of the natural'. We met naked in a forest when I was dancing one evening, and she smiled to me, took my hands, and woke me up. I've never been more grateful. And whenever I try to 'worship' her, she just laughs :D. But I still do...

I wanted to add that to my mind, for beings of this kind (whatever they are) gender is a game - they can appear however they like, including whatever gender.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

SilvermanUK

Goddess worship is almost certainly not exclusive to Wicca, many branches of paganism's favour female deities.

I studied being a Wicca for a few years, and then leaned towards hedgewitchery for a while, and am now following a more druidic path, and throughout I have always leaned towards female deities.

Part of growing up in a catholic household I was very against the feeling of the masculine God, it never felt right to me, and I shunned it very early on. I almost felt like I came home, when I started studying goddesses, it felt like it was part of me and I very much welcomed it.

I love being out in nature and feeling the world around me, its very satisfying to be a part of it.
  •  

Sailor_Saturn

I'm actually Christian, but I believe that I have something relevant to say. I'm of the school of thought that the Bible is nothing more and nothing less than the sociopolitical product of its time of authorship and translation, and that rhetoric reflecting the divine as a male entity is simply an extension of this. I believe in the Christian God, sure, but I don't limit what is assumed to be an omnipotent being to a single manifestation. It may sound strange, but I think of God as taking on whatever form Its worshipers need in order to render the interaction maximally effective. After all, we hear the tale of It assuming the form of a talking, burning bush. Why not a human woman?

For me, this means generally assuming a feminine, human, motherly form. I have always been calmer around human females, and much more able to relay my problems and feelings to a mother figure than a father figure. I even refer to God as "mother" when I speak to It, unless I feel compelled to call It something else (typically "master", though I don't think It likes that very much).

I'm often scared of father figures. My father was harsh to me during my childhood, and he is an incredibly angry drunk. He's a good man, and he has become considerably kinder toward me these past few years, but I can never relax around him and he's STILL an angry drunk. It seems hardly surprising that I'm more comfortable with the Heavenly Father being a Heavenly Mother instead. I always confide in my mother, and never in my father. It's sad, really. He wants to get close to me, but we have nothing in common and I'm scared to death of him.

Anyway, that's why I'm drawn toward a female divine despite being Christian. Just thought I'd throw that in.
  •