Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

$5.00 a gallon gas what will you do?

Started by Amazon D, February 26, 2011, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$5.00 a gallon gas what will you do?

just pay for it
28 (53.8%)
crimp my lifestyle
24 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

rexgsd

that fits in with me perfectly, i make an effort to live in the past =P
and ill admit that, lol
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

justmeinoz

As Cindy said, we'd love to pay that!   

Personally I'd rather ride any motorcycle, Ferrari performance and Hyundai economy in the same vehicle are hard to beat!

As for the British and Euro cars that are giving such great economy, they are  Diesels, so performance can be a bit pedestrian until they get wound up. I'll stick with my 87 Honda City thanks.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

mistressstevie

Quote from: CindyJames on February 27, 2011, 01:13:21 AMLibya has the largest reserves of oil (I think) so it will be interesting to see who ends up running the show. 

Libya is number 10 on this list:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves

Not that Wikipedia is definitive.  Also, recent articles I have ready say Russia is much higher than the 9
on that list.   USA at number one is interesting.  The amount attributed to Canada at number three is probably
low as the Albertan Oil Sands are a remarkable resource that have not been well researched yet.

I will happily go on record and say humans will invent new technologies that make oil obsolete
long before the Hubert's Peak is ever found. 

Another source is numbers is the US DOE-EIA: http://www.eia.gov/countries/?fips=BR
On that list USA, Russia and Saudi Arabia are all 9,000 barrels a day or more. 
Here is reserves by DOE-EIA: http://www.eia.gov/countries/index.cfm?view=reserves

At $5 a gallon in the USA I will watch my trips.  At $10 a gallon I would park the Expedition for a while
and drive my biodiesel pickup more. 

-mS
  •  

mistressstevie

Quote from: tekla on February 27, 2011, 08:42:22 PMIf your life depends on driving, you're already living in the past.

I have tried explaining that to my boss over and over.  Alas, driving will continue to be part of many workplaces
until there are significant changes in management structures.  Far to many bosses resemble Dilbert's PHB.

-mS
  •  

annette

Quote from: tekla on February 27, 2011, 09:42:22 pm

If your life depends on driving, you're already living in the past.

Well, maybe I'm living in the past but I have to find a way to reach my workplace.
When you are living in the big city there is public transportation, outside of that it's horrible and in the evening even dangerous.

So , I must live in the past for earning my salary.

•  

tekla

Less than 100 years ago that problem was solved by living close to where you work.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

tekla

Places that have strong public transit options are places that were willing to pay for it and develop it.
  •  

kyle_lawrence

I really wish I could get rid of my car and use public transportation, but unfortunately thats not possible where I live.  The closest bus stop is about 2 miles away, and there are no busses past 9pm around here, some routes stop at 7pm.   During the summer I do try to ride my bike whenever possible, but we get a lot of snow here, making roads narrower so its not safe to ride for a good portion of the year, not to mention the freezing temps. 

I lived in Chicago for 3 years, and was able to get everywhere with the transit system, so it worked out well to not drive at all.  I loved not owning a car, and tried to not have a car where I live now,  but its just not possible.

Luckily my car ('94 Toyota Camry) gets decent gas milage, and insurance is super cheap on it.

Quote from: tekla on March 02, 2011, 05:43:06 PM
Less than 100 years ago that problem was solved by living close to where you work.

I have a 25 mile round trip to work, and it can take up to 45 minutes each way depending on traffic. I have searched for a closer job, but there just isn't anything available. 
  •  

tekla

I spend years where it was a 45 minute walk to one job, 20 minutes to the other.  I chose that location to live in largely for that reason.
  •  

Kay

I'd probably try to crimp my lifestyle more...not that it's really possible to do much to it.
I scarcely drive anywhere aside for to and from work and necessary errands, and currently
it's cheaper to drive 20 miles a day than take the bus for $4 a day. 
$5 a gallon though?  Ouch.  Public busses are better here than most places, but
it's not going to be pretty.  I'll probably keep driving though.  Bus fare here is going to skyrocket
due to recent policital changes.  (We're possibly losing 1/6 of the funding for our bus system from
federal grants due to Walker's idiocy, + gas going up...is going to make ticket prices skyrocket.) 
Hrmm...It will probably still be cheaper to drive my car...so I guess it won't mean any changes for me. 
It'll just take longer to save toward my goals.
  •  

annette

Quote from: tekla on February 27, 2011, 09:42:22 pm
If your life depends on driving, you're already living in the past.
reply from Tekla:

Sorry, but in my opinion THAT was the past.

By saying in the first place, I love this discussion, I really do, but it's useless to compare your own situation with others.
In my situation there was a government decision that people had to move from the big city years ago.
Those cities were to big and had too many problems, there was a fear that there should come getto's.
So they build new places, miles and miles away from the old places, they only forgot to build  good transportation or enough workplaces in the new cities.
So you can refuse driving and sitting on the couch unemployend or driving to the old place to work.
35 miles walking to your workplace is not an option for me.
They demolished the old houses in the city and maked new ones, with a price I never can afford even if I will work 24/7.
So, my solution was, by a car who is not very thirsty with gasoline and drive to the workplace.

annette

•  

justmeinoz

As I said, just get a motorcycle or scooter.  You can put something on the road here  for the price of a Hyundai buzz-box that will eat Porsches and still get over 50 to the gallon.   ;D ;D ;D
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: justmeinoz on March 03, 2011, 04:06:13 AM
As I said, just get a motorcycle or scooter.  You can put something on the road here  for the price of a Hyundai buzz-box that will eat Porsches and still get over 50 to the gallon.   ;D ;D ;D

It would be quite interesting to try that in a blinding snow storm on the freeway. I drive for work, some days to 5 cities for 1 to 3 hours each. Buses, taxi's, trains, etc. are not an option.
  •  

justmeinoz

You could keep the car or 4x4 for the snowy days and ride the rest. You should still be able to cut your costs by at least 50%.
As for the rain, we aren't made of sugar, we won't melt! Also I stay in my waterproofs to the front door at work, and let the car drivers struggle with their umbrellas. :laugh:
  •  

Medusa

Quote from: justmeinoz on March 03, 2011, 04:06:13 AM
I can drive just big sedan, everything other is too playful to me and I then drive like a pirate  ::)
When I bought motorcycle I have it 2 months (because it was cold to ride it most time) and then I wreck it (I'm lucky to not have any aftereffects, just 6 months walk like Dr House  :-X)
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •  

Britney_413

Living close to work isn't always an option. Mass transit, no matter how much they improve it is not going to be as efficient as driving a car. What I particularly don't like are cities who deliberately plan transportation in a way to force people to use mass transit over driving. Examples include narrowing roads by reducing lanes that cars could travel on to replace that space with buses, trains, trolleys, bike lanes, etc. or zoning buildings where parking is so limited that you pretty much can't drive there. Whether it is a privately owned horse and buggy, privately owned bicycle, or privately owned car, most people want to have the option of travelling by themselves and/or independently. I don't allow meth-heads, ex-cons, crazies, people who don't shower, etc. in my car but when I get on a public bus, subway, or city train I'm now in an enclosed space surrounded by these people.

Ultimately, I think the best solution would be to develop more fuel-efficient cars, cars that run on other types of fuel, etc. and have mass transit systems that don't interfere with automobile traffic (i.e. reducing lanes, parking, blocking traffic with train signals, etc.). I'm not going so far as to put on my tin foil hat but I do believe that in some cities particularly with certain kinds of a political composition it is a goal to manipulate people out of their cars and onto mass transit. And I don't like it.
  •  

justmeinoz

It looks like petrol here is going to go to around $1-40 a litre for 91 octane, 98 will be about $1-60/L.
As the Aussie dollar is at $1-01 to the US$ that puts us pretty close to the OP's figure per gallon.  Half way between Perth and Adelaide, on the Nullabor Plain it will probably be over $2 a litre.
  •  

tekla

Well, so far - and it's pretty amazing what with this unprecedented level of civil strife - that there has not been an event (as they say) at an oil terminal, refinery, or pipeline.  Nor, and this is pretty huge, has there been real problems in Kingdom or the real gulf states - stuff that would really effect oil supplies.  When one - or both (I'm betting on both, and sooner rather than later) - of those things happen then oil could go much, much, much (like double or more) higher.

I'm not going so far as to put on my tin foil hat but I do believe that in some cities particularly with certain kinds of a political composition it is a goal to manipulate people out of their cars and onto mass transit
Well no tin foil hat needed, it's no big secret that urban planning as a field, and urban planning schools where they teach urban planning to urban planners, who then go off and work for cities doing planning - loathe cars.

The preference has always been for real efficiency which is putting the most people in the closest possible space and making most of it self-powered.  Cities where most of the people walk (or ride bikes, bikes are walking in urban planning terms) most of the time are considered by planners to be working at the most efficient level.  It's really all about space and how much space you need to give over to cars (and it's huge, roads, parking, garages, infrastructure like gas stations, dealerships, etc). 

The least efficient use of just about anything and everything is using a personal one to two tons of metal and plastic that's about 4x8 and is constantly and forever taking up 4x8 feet of space, and burning intense levels (as a collective whole) of a highly refined fossil fuel that as matter of routine electro/chemical processes is spewing all sorts of toxic stuff into the air we are required to breathe.

So, to a considerable degree, yeah, there are people in all sorts of different offices sitting around and trying to figure out how you can move all these people around without each one needing a car.  In many places, there is just not enough room for everyone to have a car so that's a factor too.

But, I don't think that is the city you're living in Britney, you're in a place that was pretty much 100% designed with cars in mind.  All the war/post-war cities of the West and Southwest were laid out from the get-go based on streets to be used by cars.  It's all but impossible in that kind of sprawl to live without a car, it's just too far from any one place to the other (LA is the best/worse at that) and there is no real public transit -both intercity as well as regional (like NYC, or SF, or Chicago has) - too far to walk - if there are even places to walk - and riding a bike is pretty much an open death wish.

At least for now.

Who knows, as a geographical deal LA is really well laid out now for mass transit and bikes - most of the main areas are pretty flat - soon come, soon come.  But places like NYC, Chicago, SF, and several other dense urban areas have been trying to get people out of cars for a long, long time now.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: tekla on March 07, 2011, 06:22:17 AM
you're in a place that was pretty much 100% designed with cars in mind.  All the war/post-war cities of the West and Southwest were laid out from the get-go based on streets to be used by cars.  It's all but impossible in that kind of sprawl to live without a car

That's the same boat I'm in.  We have very few sidewalks or bike lanes.  Cycling means you are constantly hugging the shoulder of the road with cars whizzing by you a foot from your shoulder.  Walking or biking means you are constantly crossing dangerous intersections.  We also have lots of poorly designed traffic lights here that are dangerous enough to get past even in a car.  Good luck getting across that street if those lights don't happen to be designed for pedestrians (which only the new or recently replaced lights are)

If your job is more than a few miles away from your house, you are pretty much screwed without a car.  There is very little public transportation, and riding a bicycle for any great distance is impractical.  While it isn't too hard to walk or bike if you take the "scenic" route, using (or even just crossing) any of the main streets is just asking for punishment.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Cindy

This week petrol in Adelaide has gone up 25cents a litre, about $1/gallon.
  •