Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

$5.00 a gallon gas what will you do?

Started by Amazon D, February 26, 2011, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just pay for it
28 (53.8%)
crimp my lifestyle
24 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Amazon D

Just wondering if people plan to pay for it like they do now and will it really change or crimp your lifestyle?

1.   just pay for it
2.   crimp my lifestyle

definately number 2 and i have a hybrid. I will be getting a horse and buggy soon as i build my barn this spring ;)

PS: I just read its 9.60 in london    yikes how do they survive  :o   trains i guess  ;D
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

rejennyrated

Errrrr - here in the UK we already pay over $9 a gallon and we have been told it is soon heading towards at least $10 probably $12 or more

So you will forgive us if in place of sympathy we express our considerable irritation and envy that you have it so darn cheap! You really have nothing to complain about.

We have been paying over $5 a gallon for longer than I can recall - at least 15 years!
  •  

Shang

I was about to say something about the UK.  It's why I don't understand why so many people were driving when I visited--the gas was ridiculous.

I'm going to be cutting back on driving...and eating from the dollar store more because I'm a poor college student. XD
  •  

Janet_Girl

Half the world pays over $5 per gallon.

Here is the current prices. World Gas Prices
  •  

VeryGnawty

I'd have to quit my job.  I don't even think they pay enough to cover $4.00 per gallon in expenses, and they don't offer fuel compensation.

I'm sure a lot of customers will be very upset when they stop getting their deliveries.  But there's nothing I would be able to do about that.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

rejennyrated

Thing is most of our cars now do between 50 and 60 mpg - and some German and Japanese models can manage between 70 and 90 Mpg so actually in terms of the cost per mile it is no more costly - we just burn it WAY more efficiently than you do.

(My car averages 65.1 mpg for example - and those are real figures)

It's just your American manufacturers have gotten UBER lazy and because you had such ridiculously under priced gas they didn't bother to build very efficient or modern engines.

If you look at the engine management technology in your cars it looks positively stone aged compared to the stuff under our hoods! Which is how cars like the Blue Motion Polo manage such astonishing gas mileage - well over 84 mpg!
  •  

Shang

Quote from: rejennyrated on February 26, 2011, 05:16:57 PM
Thing is most of our cars now do between 50 and 60 mpg - and some German and Japanese models can manage between 70 and 90 Mpg so actually in terms of the cost per mile it is no more costly - we just burn it WAY more efficiently than you do.

(My car averages 65.1 mpg for example - and those are real figures)

It's just your American manufacturers have gotten UBER lazy and because you had such ridiculously under priced gas they didn't bother to build very efficient or modern engines.

If you look at the engine management technology in your cars it looks positively stone aged compared to the stuff under our hoods! Which is how cars like the Blue Motion Polo manage such astonishing gas mileage - well over 84 mpg!

My American car gets better gas mileage than my parents European based car and their Japanese based truck (both of which they bought in the UK [where they're both still at]). xD I get nowhere near the figures you mentioned, but I still get better mileage than their vehicles.
  •  

VeryGnawty

Quote from: rejennyrated on February 26, 2011, 05:16:57 PM

Yeah.  They didn't bother to have any real management, either, seeing as how the taxpayer had to loan them money to keep those companies from going bankrupt.  I blame that on their building LESS efficient automobiles (Hummer, anyone?) instead of doing the practical thing.  'Cause, you know, people were buying oversized trucks and boy-toys until the gas price went up a few years ago.

American companies are really good at following silly market trends, rather than making practical products...
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Just Shelly

I'm not sure I can crimp my lifestyle any more then I already have. I don't leave the house the way it is now.

This is just an example of GREED!

The U.S. gets 4% of oil from Libya for our refineries.

Shelly
  •  

Michael Joseph

A couple of years ago when it was up to 4 something a gallon I had a ford explorer and I was spending 80 plus dollars a week to fill my tank. If it hits 5 dollars I am buying a bicycle.

Cindy

Well I filled up my car yesterday at $1.45/Litre. and it cost me over $70 to fill a little korean Elantra, that will last me about 4 weeks. That works out at $5.80 an American gallon. Our petrol (gas) prices are set on the Singapore crude price so it is a true reflection of the International price . The UK has a massive amount of excise on petrol. The USA has little if any.

Be interesting to see how things spin out in the Middle East. Libya has the largest reserves of oil (I think) so it will be interesting to see who ends up running the show.

Cindy
  •  

Flan

I'll still be driving because I (currently) don't really have a choice in transportation. I'm hoping that once student loan comes in, I can replace my current ride with something a bit more efficient (2012 ford focus).
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

LordKAT

I am paying over $600 a month now for driving, it goes higher and I will be on the streets again as I barely make it now and use food pantry to eat sometimes. I get decent mileage for an american van 37mpg. My job is going to have to change its views on paying for my work time gas.
  •  

Rock_chick

What jenny said.

I don't drive anyway, which I'm kind of grateful for as cars are expensive. I do how ever think they should increase duty on fuel ti incetivise people to drive more fuel efficient cars.
  •  

Medusa

I dont see any problem at this price (as here at europe is gas more expensive than 5$ per gallon)
Every of my cars are 20-25 mpg and I dont see any problem at using them as much as I want
IMVU: MedusaTheStrange
  •  

annette

We pay about the same price like the people in the UK.
Our goverment is a bit greedy with their taxes on gasoline.

We don't do 60 mpg because we have a lot of crowdy traffic jam, driving 100 yards and stop, driving 50 yards and stop.
The train sucks, no good connections and they are rarely on schedule, so we are spending money on gasoline like we were very wealthy wich we don't are.

When I spent a vacacion in the US people look at me like I'm crazy coz I'm the only one who likes the prices of gasoline.
  •  

Britney_413

If it gets much worse, I guess I'll be selling my car and buying a horse and a bicycle.
  •  

rexgsd

Drive right over the border to canada with a gasoline tanker truck and fill up on their .33 cents a gallon gas =P
lucky asses!

haha, but really, i'd probably buy a cheap 6-cylinder somewhere.
I have a '89 V8 right now, which i love but it is a bit of a guzzler.
I can't steer myself away from old cars though, so it'd have to be an older one still, which is fine since i'd be a 6-cyl anyways.
I'll still keep the v8, but use it once prices go down or just occasionally.

tho on the other hand, if i get a decent paying job and am the position to do so, i can use the v8 more anyways =P
☥fiat justitia ruat coelum☥

"Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls. Its a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world." - The Kinks

•  

xAndrewx

I don't drive anyways though I am learning to so I'll take a car when I have to and use a bike with the bus system the rest of the time because it's like $4 a day where I am at to get an all day pass and $40 a month to get a monthly pass that allows me to take it whenever. Sucks because it takes extra time and the buses are usually late but at least I have that option :)

tekla

Libya has the largest reserves of oil (I think) so it will be interesting to see who ends up running the show
Saudi Arabia wins that, hands down, that's the only reason that anyone in the world cares about the House of Saud at all.
Here's the CIA analysis of who's got what:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2178rank.html

But cut off 4% of anything that is in 100% demand and the price is going to rise.  The real deal with the oil from Libya is that it's considered the 'sweetest' oil in the world, you can almost run it in a diesel engine straight out of the ground.  Because it need far less refining, it's cheaper to use in the long run.  And because it's so pure it has industrial applications as a very fine lubricant.

Americans might pay less at the pump, but considering the tax-write offs, the 'inducements' and the out right give-a-ways, they are paying for it in hidden ways.

I'll keep on riding my bike and using public transportation.  We have that option here because we put a lot of effort - going back decades and decades - into building a system that at least kind of works.  The bike sure helps fill in the gaps, and all the ferries, buses, trains and stuff have provisions for us to take our bikes on them.  And those people out there reading this - particularly the older members - these bikes today are not the Schwinn toys you grew up with.  They are light, quick, and can stop on a dime.  What I ride (with a few modifications):
http://www.marinbikes.com/2009/us/bikes/assets/bikes_detail/MHT_HHT_HH.jpg

The reality is that at some point I decided that aside from all that good stuff, like 'helping the planet', and 'not trading blood for oil' (and make no mistake, people are dying so you can keep on driving), 'making urban living a lot nicer for everyone' that I really got tired of working a month and a half a year to keep a ton of metal in my driveway.  I have better things to do with my time.  Really.

Oil is finite, and we are using it on an exponentially increasing scale, something has to give, and it has.

If your life depends on driving, you're already living in the past.

FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •