----------------

Started by Laura91, March 02, 2011, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura91

::)
  •  

Arctic Kat

I'm an aspiring animator.
I've mostly been into kids shows (save South Park and some anime....)

As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate cartoons on PBS.
(My current favorite show is WordGirl -- you can see bits of it here: http://pbskids.org/wordgirl/)

I've honestly never heard of Liquid Television, but after watching those clips, I feel inspired.
That show's subject matter isn't my particular taste, but I really respect the amount of effort that went into it. A lot of today's cartoons use Flash and look obviously done on computers. It's nice to see traditional animation once in a while.
Waarom mag een jongen nooit prinsesje
Waarom mag een meisje nooit superman zijn
Elke vogel bouwt z'n eigen nestje
Hier bij ons mag iedereen zijn wie ze zijn
  •  

VeryGnawty

This is an awesome show for so many reasons.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Sandy

As a CGI aficionado, I always will have a warm place in my heart for "ReBoot"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBoot

It was one of the first all CGI series and showed a lot of technique and style in that budding genre.  It wasn't a kids show per se, and had quite a number of computer and animation/art in-jokes.

I do love good cel animation, but little really good work has happened since the innovation of CGI though.  I think Aladdin was the last good thing out of the Disney studio's as far as cel is concerned.  But even that was heavily assisted by computer augmentation and some of it was actual 3D CGI, which to my mind took away from the overall beauty of it.

BTW: I am a blenderhead.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

japple

Quote from: Sandy on March 05, 2011, 09:10:45 AM
I do love good cel animation, but little really good work has happened since the innovation of CGI though.

CGI has been around since the 80s. and it took two decades to be watchable.  Since Toy Story in 1995 there have been a ton of terrible CGI films and plenty of good 2D  or stop motion movies:  Ghost in the Shell, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Anastasia, Princess Mononoke, THe Iron Giant, Tarzan, Chicken Run, Atlantis,  Metropolis, Lilo and Stitch, Coraline...

There are great 2D shows.

Ventures Bros, Metalocalypse, Home Movies, Archer, The Simpsons, Family Guy, SpongeBob....

Technology doesn't mean story.  If Pixar made a 2D movie it'd be great.
  •  

regan

Add to japple's list Robot Chicken, South Park, The Cleveland Show, American Dad...
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

Da Monkey

I mostly watch South Park, Futurama and American Dad.

I love American Dad mostly because of the alien character Roger. In a recent episode he describes himself as a "fey pansexual alcoholic non-human" and has multiple male and female personas.
The story is the same, I've just personalized the name.
  •  

regan

Quote from: JayUnit on March 05, 2011, 05:39:54 PM
I mostly watch South Park, Futurama and American Dad.

I love American Dad mostly because of the alien character Roger. In a recent episode he describes himself as a "fey pansexual alcoholic non-human" and has multiple male and female personas.

ROGER IS AWESOME!!!!

yes I'm yelling, that's how awesome Roger is...
Our biograhies are our own and we need to accept our own diversity without being ashamed that we're somehow not trans enough.
  •  

Da Monkey

Quote from: regan on March 05, 2011, 05:41:16 PM
ROGER IS AWESOME!!!!

yes I'm yelling, that's how awesome Roger is...

Hahah! I know eh. I love Roger, glad to hear it from someone else hahah.

Most people I know don't watch it, or watch Family Guy instead and never got into American Dad. But I stopped watching Family Guy a couple of seasons after American Dad aired.
The story is the same, I've just personalized the name.
  •  

regan

Family Guy is still my number one, my therapist laughed when I told him I wasn't going to give up liking Family Guy just becuase I was going to transition.  Cleveland Show is a very close second, with American Dad solidly in third.
  •  

Padma

I'm crazy for the Czech animators of the 70's and 80's, especially Jiri Barta, who made an hour-long stop-frame film of The Pied Piper which is totally beautiful and dark. It's really worth seeing in its full glory, but it's on youtube in not-too-scraggy lo res (here's part 1 of 6):

Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

Oliver

Padma - I watched the video you put up of the Pied Piper. It was real interesting. I still like a lot of the animated shows I watched as a kid; Magic School Bus, Jackie Chan Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, and X-Men: Evolution. I also like most Disney and Pixar movies. Thumbelina: A Magical Story is another one I like. It's the anime version of Thumbelina. I had it on vhs when I was really young and I would watch it repeatedly. I also really like Suzie Templeton's version of Peter and the Wolf.
  •