Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

YOU SAVED $XX.XX

Started by V M, May 02, 2011, 11:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V M

In today's troubled economy, many of us are struggling a bit just to put good food on the table... I know I am, so when I go to the store I look for the deals and mainly get good food stuffs... I rarely get junk food (Mostly because most junk food tastes like rubbish) Anyway, the food stuffs on sale tend to delegate what will be on my menu for the next week or so

So today I went to get some groceries and nearly everything I bought were items that had been discounted... Good food stuffs that I'm going to buy, it was just a matter of what brands had the quality items at a good price

So my $31 worth of groceries became $25 and at the bottom of the receipt it said

YOU SAVED $6 and some change

Gotta love it...

How much did you save?
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Joelene9

I usually get under $ 20.00 of the food items at the checkout.  My gardening and the canning really helps there.  I still have tomato products left to last until harvest this summer.  I haven't bought tomato products from the store in three years and I usually give out half of my harvest to my extended family throughout the year!  Tomorrow will be a bit different when I stock my new fridge.  The 'savings' on the ticket is a ruse.  Foodstuffs are a commodity and their prices changes daily.  The stores have their mark-up and they have those 'sales' to be competitive.  Those 'sale' prices still make them a profit. 
  People in my neighborhood get snookered by the stuff that is placed by the entrance, especially the sodapop.  They really load their baskets with the 12 can cases full of that sugar water because they are on sale!  And they complain that their sugar enhanced, Ritalin deprived children have the lowest test scores in the state?
  Joelene
  •  

V M

People in my neighborhood get snookered by the stuff that is placed by the entrance, especially the sodapop.  They really load their baskets with the 12 can cases full of that sugar water because they are on sale!

I can understand where you're coming from Joelene, I have neighbors like that... They don't have children though, they are more like thirty some odd year old children who practically live on junk food, soda, cookies and other sweets... But that's not what I'm talking about

I'm talking about doing comparative shopping to get the most out of your money... In example: There are three brands of pasta, are you going to by the one for $2.50, the one for $1.50 or the brand that has all of their pasta reduced to .99 each that week?

There are certain products I love like Progresso Clam Chowder, But if it's not on sale for a good price I'll wait until it goes on sale and then I'll stock up on a few

I also love to garden, it is one of my few joys in life... Unfortunately I am having surgery on my shoulder this month so I won't be able to do much other than look after my already established strawberry patch... I'm hoping to find someone to help me plant a few things

I would imagine the grocery stores do make a profit even on the sale items... I think it would be hard to stay in business otherwise
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Ann Onymous

I will occasionally do a price-per-ounce comparison on size of a particular item, but I don't go out of my way to stock up on things.  When I go to the store, it is for specific items, and if they are on sale, fine...if not, so be it.   

And yeah, I AM one of those people who goes through a metric phucton of soda and chips.  I don't do a lot of cooking at the house and eat out on a regular basis.  As such, most of what I snag at the store is snack food for the house and office.   
  •  

tekla

The product cycle has lots of stuff getting dumped so there are places where you can pick up it for a lot less money than at other places.  We have an outlet store next door and their prices are a lot less then you are going to pay in Safeway for the exact same item.  It's just that food stocks being so perishable what they have changes day to day.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

V M

The product cycle has lots of stuff getting dumped so there are places where you can pick up it for a lot less money than at other places.

Yes, we have a really good dollar store in town that has allot of great products for a dollar each... I find stuff there that would usually be about three bucks at other stores

- V M
  •