Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How would you describe GOD?

Started by Anatta, May 12, 2011, 01:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisbeth

I wouldn't even attempt to describe god. By definition "god" is transcendent -- that means beyond anything we can experience or imagine.

Quote from: Kristi on May 21, 2011, 09:12:18 AM
I have always been partial to the definition made popular by St Anselm (1039-1109) who described God as: 'That than which nothing greater can be conceived.'

I don't think that definition cuts it because that still fits just inside of what we can imagine.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

kate durcal

Quote from: Sarah7 on May 12, 2011, 02:18:43 AM
In the Jewish tradition god cannot ever be depicted. Actually even writing "god" is against Jewish law, and in orthodox translations will always appear as "G-d." All images of the old testament god are from Christianity.

"I believe with perfect faith that the Creator, Blessed be His Name, has no body, and that He is free from all the properties of matter, and that there can be no (physical) comparison to Him whatsoever." - Maimonides' 13 principles of faith

While I'm not a believer, I was raised in the Jewish tradition so... see above. ;)

Edit: Though I think that the quote uses gendered language is hilarious, because, of course, in order to abide by that description, god can't have gender.

In Judaism's Cabala, Ein soft is the understandable G-d that is within the human mind reach, we acknowledge that there is part of G-d that is out of human comprehensions. At a personal level G-d speak trough my nontarnishable soul and her voice lives me in a state of bliss
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: Lisbeth on May 21, 2011, 07:29:07 PM
I don't think that definition cuts it because that still fits just inside of what we can imagine.

I would agree to some extent.  However that distinction begins to blur as you expand your understanding of who/what is doing the conceiving.  Anselm did not have in mind an individual's imagination.  Nor is the definition limited to "we" as you suggest.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Imadique on May 21, 2011, 08:34:36 AM
I picture god to be a long, straight pole that is of an adjustable length so as to be able to comfortably fit under the armpit, with an ergonomic cushioned top and handle just above waist height.

Kia Ora Imadique,

::) It brought a big smile to my face when I read that... ;D  A good "atheistic" description  ;)

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Muffins

Quote from: Muffin on May 21, 2011, 12:43:19 AM
"humanised". that's all I got right now :P

I wanna change my answer!!!!!!!!!!111111111

"subjective".

8)
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

Sticking with the topic....

::) I guess those for whom their god's rapture didn't eventuate-they would describe god has a big "disappointment" ...And all the sinners who believe there is a god will be "thanking" god  ;)  ;D

Now one can take the above comment two ways, tongue in cheek sarcasm or serious..

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

tekla

We had a countdown to the rapture where I worked.  What the hell, we figured (and correctly no doubt) that anyone with a San Francisco Filmore laminate was not exactly eligible for the rapture list, nope, we didn't have the tickets punched for that train ride, as we're on a different set of tracks to be sure.

Still, just to be sure, (and as a total coincidence too of course) we had the Filmore decorated and media blitzed to look like a Hindu temple, complete with lots of pix of Shiva and the Elephant God, with alters and incense and all that just to make sure Jesus was not stopping at our address.*

When the appointed hour came.  Nothing.  Sure not us, we weren't expecting that, but not anywhere else either.  Was the entire city of San Francisco rapture exempt? - oh spare my heart...But hey, I'm still here.  Guess most of us are.

* It was a huge 'women empowering women through yoga' session, lesson and dance (or hippie chicks gettin' all jiggy with other hippie chicks, either way) so we spend a solid 5 hours building alters, putting up decorations, flowers, crystals, flowing fountains, video screens and the like, and since the interior is a deep maroon with gold trim, we were halfway to temple before we started.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Muffins

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I GGOOTTTT ZOOOMMBBIIIIIIIFFFFIIEEDDDD!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111 BBBRRAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!11 NOMNOMNOMNOMONMONOMONOMNOMONOM<NOMMMMsssssss.....

...wait thi sis not brainsss..... it's it's................... ...............................
....................................................................................peanutbutter and jelly sandwich? meh NOMONMONOMNOMONOM<NOM<OONMNOMNOMNOMOMOOMXONMSDOOSSOMSOMOSO SO NOMONOMNOMsss
0____o

</muffin moment>
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Now every description of god so far is 100% correct[including Muffin's  ;) ;D ]...God is whatever the individual makes god out to be [or not to be- as Shakespeare would say] !  ;)  Wow I've just had a eureka moment>>>

•  

Muffins

my god is a tomato, I think it came about from my overly enthusiastic love of tomatoes.

Must not lick god ...must not lick god ...must not lick god ...sssssooo tteempptttiiinnggg >_<
  •  

some ftm guy

higher power, consciousness. the "I Am" without identity or thought but constant moving energy that can never be seen or heard, only felt within every living thing in the universe. and only through silence can it be found. all of nature, the ground, trees, grass, water, humans, animals all have the same energy..or so I read in a few books by more than one author. makes sense.

i agree that "God." shouldn't be described as a person, especially not the old man with the long white hair and beard sitting on a cloud or thrown in the sky. but more like the positive energy in all life. i don't even like saying God all that much it's just no one goes around saying "the great Tao," "consciousness" or "higher power." we're all raised with the word God.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) I guess some scientists would describe "God" as "gap filler" you know like "No more gaps"  ;)

•  

tekla

guess some scientists would describe "God" as "gap filler" you know like "No more gaps"

Damn, now that's an idea I could get behind.  I hate that store.  You know why they call it 'The Gap" - because there is such a large gap between what's in style, and the >-bleeped-< they sell.
  •  

Pica Pica

I thought it was because they filled in that gap between starbuckses.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::)  "No more gaps" is a DIY product ! That the "agnostic" scientist might use... ;)

•  

Julie Marie

Quote from: tekla on May 23, 2011, 05:06:04 AM
We had a countdown to the rapture where I worked. 
When the appointed hour came.  Nothing.  Sure not us, we weren't expecting that, but not anywhere else either.  Was the entire city of San Francisco rapture exempt? - oh spare my heart...But hey, I'm still here.  Guess most of us are.

Maybe we got this rapture thing all bass ackwards.  Maybe instead of the good people being taken from this earth it's the problematic people who will be taken.  You know, the ones who make life miserable for the rest of us by trying to force feed us with THEIR way.  I've heard an awful lot of rapture disbelievers cheer at that thought.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

tekla

Nah, if that were true the club manager would have been taken.
  •  

Julie Marie

The words "God" and "religion" took on a whole new meaning for me once family, friends and co-workers learned I was trans.  In the blink of an eye I became a bad person, evil to some, sinner to others.  And for the first time in my life I found people (ab)using God and religion to judge me, not for what I do or who I am as a person, but for how I was born.

So when I see a question like the one posed in the title of this thread, my mind quickly jumps to this new world I was placed in after it became known I am trans.  And my first reaction to answering this question comes from the point of view of the people who now are acting as my god and judging me, condemning me and rejecting me.  And the god they claim to know and be guided by is just a lame excuse for their inability to deal with their truth.

But to me, God is me, you, any of us, all of us. 

When growing up I often heard only God can create.  That was usually followed up by pointing out a tree, a mountain, a river or the sky.  And it was defined as making something from nothing.  But if the ability to create is the ultimate criteria for defining God then each one of us is God.  We create ideas.  We create music.  We create all kinds of things, with our mind. 

This idea isn't original.  It's in the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an and other ancient writings.  The Ancients had a much better grasp on the power of the mind than we do today.  We began to really lose touch with the advent of electronic stimulation.  But God is still here because we still have our minds.  I'm just not sure how long.
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Valeriedances on May 31, 2011, 07:19:03 PM
I dont have a belief in a GOD as an entity that is separate from us. I believe we are all individual manifestations of... something that is experiencing life through us all at the same time :). Nirvana is when we become aware of it.

Kia Ora Valerie,

::) That's an interesting take on it...

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Julie Marie on June 03, 2011, 06:23:42 AM
The words "God" and "religion" took on a whole new meaning for me once family, friends and co-workers learned I was trans.  In the blink of an eye I became a bad person, evil to some, sinner to others.  And for the first time in my life I found people (ab)using God and religion to judge me, not for what I do or who I am as a person, but for how I was born.

So when I see a question like the one posed in the title of this thread, my mind quickly jumps to this new world I was placed in after it became known I am trans.  And my first reaction to answering this question comes from the point of view of the people who now are acting as my god and judging me, condemning me and rejecting me.  And the god they claim to know and be guided by is just a lame excuse for their inability to deal with their truth.

But to me, God is me, you, any of us, all of us. 

When growing up I often heard only God can create.  That was usually followed up by pointing out a tree, a mountain, a river or the sky.  And it was defined as making something from nothing.  But if the ability to create is the ultimate criteria for defining God then each one of us is God.  We create ideas.  We create music.  We create all kinds of things, with our mind. 

This idea isn't original.  It's in the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an and other ancient writings.  The Ancients had a much better grasp on the power of the mind than we do today.  We began to really lose touch with the advent of electronic stimulation.  But God is still here because we still have our minds.  I'm just not sure how long.

Kia Ora Julie,

Sadly this does seem to be the case, and many members here no doubt have experienced the "Doctor Jackel and Mister HIde " split personality of some members of their church congregation...

::) So how would one describe God ? Well "human" of course...What else would s/he be ?

•