Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How would you describe GOD?

Started by Anatta, May 12, 2011, 01:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anatta

Kia Ora,
This topic is open to all... Theists. Atheists, Agnostic and the Couldn't Give a Toss about it ers...

::)How would you describe GOD? 

What comes to mind when you think of this often described as elusive, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, wholly benevolent supernatural being? Is it the child-like Abrahamic/Semitic image of an old man with white hair, white beard and dressed in a white robe sitting upon a throne?

As for myself "it" is indescribable, beyond description hence my mind is empty of any association with this GOD character apart from the letters...In other words GOD is an empty word, void of any mental structure/meaning...

But in everyday life the word GOD tends to crop up often, for example  "Oh My God !"  "For God Sake I" "God Almighty!"  "Only God Knows or God knows !"  "God this...God that!"...But who or what is this GOD that people are talking about  or calling out for help to or for that matter praying to?

This is s serious topic open to all as mentioned "above" so please be respectful of others with your comments REMEMBER we all have a right to express our opinions and there's no right or wrong answers...Just what comes to mind, if anything...

::)God knows why I came up with this one... ;)

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Sephirah

Interesting topic.

I tend to think of a divine presence as internal rather than external. The spark of sentience present inside, call it a soul, or consciousness if you like, which provides the capacity to ponder such questions, illuminates thought, and empowers the individual to see beyond the literal - to define a self which isn't constrained by physical boundaries - and to strive beyond the basic evolutionary needs. Divinity, to me, is the light within each of us which enables us to live rather than exist. :)
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Sabriel Facrin

My belief is that god is the creator of all the rules and area of reality...so...just by looking upon reality interacting we see god itself.  Yet, I feel that specific instances of everything are bits of reality that god permitted, and chaos formed around the permissions of...Really, I don't think the things, creatures, and people IN reality are part of god, and furthermore I don't think time is part of god either, because I feel it's a construct soley of the chaos-formed objects.
So yeah, I would describe god as physics in action. x3
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Sarah, Yes I thought the same thing about the pronoun use...  "To know god is not to know god - for how can one know or even know of the unknown" This seems to be the paradox of the Judeo-Christian   "faith"...Their description sounds more like a  Zen "Koan"...

It would seem god "only" exists within the individual's  mind, in "thought" alone...That is, ones thoughts have been conditioned to accommodate this concept...And whether ones a believer or not, we all tend to live in a god-centric society...

::) However could god be just a figment of ones "creative"  imagination ? All in the mind !

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Michelle.

•  

tekla

there's no right or wrong answers

Right.  People who believe in imaginary beings that 'control' all time and matter are equally right with those that don't.  Right.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Muffins

"humanised". that's all I got right now :P
  •  

VeryGnawty

QuoteHow would you describe GOD?

I wouldn't.  Such an entity hasn't appeared to do anything for me, so I don't see why I should spend time pondering such an entity.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: tekla on May 21, 2011, 12:42:15 AM

Right.  People who believe in imaginary beings that 'control' all time and matter are equally right with those that don't.  Right.

Kia Ora Tekla,

::) There are no right or wrong answers so I guess you're "Right" "Right" ?  ;)

•  

LordKAT

•  

Pica Pica

I've often thought that to believe in God is necessarily to diminish the concept.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

tekla

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but its a big deal either way.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Imadique

I picture god to be a long, straight pole that is of an adjustable length so as to be able to comfortably fit under the armpit, with an ergonomic cushioned top and handle just above waist height.
  •  

Suzy

I have always been partial to the definition made popular by St Anselm (1039-1109) who described God as: 'That than which nothing greater can be conceived.'
  •  

Janet_Girl

god is the male side of the total life force that runs through every living thing.  the Goddess is the female side.  Ying and Yang if you are into eastern beliefs.

And yes I deliberately spelt  the male in lower case.  It gets way to much attention.  And the female side gets hardly nothing.  Making the male side start with a capital letter comes from the male dominated beliefs that see women as less than important and property.
  •  

JakeB

Quote from: tekla on May 21, 2011, 12:42:15 AM

I'm completely on your side but you can't necessarily prove that there is no god. Even with all the research and evidence theists can simply claim that "God" created the earth in that way. It's an endless arguement because there's no way to physically prove or disprove a spiritual or imaginary being.

BTW (to the theists) You all owe me $100. I can't prove this but to question me makes you a bad person and I ignite bad people. Email me for my paypal account and a recommendation to heaven.
  •  

Amazon D

God is love
Love is God
we make a resting place in our hearts for Love/God (to grow)
We were born in the image of God (as lil babies)
But we have the choice/freewill to change and become Unlovable/Ungodlike
I'm an Amazon womyn + very butch + respecting MWMF since 1999 unless invited. + I AM A HIPPIE

•  

Anatta

Kia Ora,

::) Could god be just some form of very complicated energy-force ? And perhaps someone came up with the more simple term "god" to describe this energy, because by just having to say "god" beats having to go into page after page of defining detail where the chances are one could miss some important points... A "God" of the gaps, so to speak... ;)

•  

PidgeTPN

When I think of God, it reminds me of every single person who has forced their beliefs on me, and I wonder why their God would ever condone the abuse of his so-called children that claim the abuse is in his name. To me, God is a figment. A storybook character built thousands of years ago to create faith in a broken people. We are still broken, and people violently reach for anything that can give them the easy route.
  •  

quinn

Quote from: VakarianPride on May 21, 2011, 06:30:13 PM
When I think of God, it reminds me of every single person who has forced their beliefs on me, and I wonder why their God would ever condone the abuse of his so-called children that claim the abuse is in his name. To me, God is a figment. A storybook character built thousands of years ago to create faith in a broken people. We are still broken, and people violently reach for anything that can give them the easy route.

That's almost exactly what I was going to say about it. If you watch the movie "The Invention of Lying," well, that's probably how the God myth began. Someone decided it would be easier to accept death if people believed they would be going to a better place, and made it up. That, or more likely, it's yet another way created to control large groups of people.
  •