Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

GID and mental illness? experience? help? :)

Started by .luke, May 27, 2011, 12:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.luke

I'm hopefully seeing a psychiatrist who specializes in GID in the near future but I'm just freaking out a bit about a few things, but specifically this:

I was diagnosed with bipolar a while ago (I'm 18) and am really worrying that the psychiatrist will point to bipolar as the cause of me 'thinking' I'm trans. I know that's definitely not the case, like heaps of other people I've felt this way since I was a kid but I'm worried the psychiatrist wont believe me..

it doesn't help that I'm also worried that they wont believe me because I've got longish hair. I've heard stories of the psychiatrists here thinking people aren't 'trans enough' because they're a bit feminine or something.

Does anyone here have any experience with anything like this?

thanks,
luke.
  •  

wheat thins are delicious

If the psych does say something like "well you aren't really trans but you think you are cause of the bipolar" or something similar it's best to leave and find a better one.  Being feminine (gender expression) has nothing to do with being male (gender identity) and a good psych would know that. 

•  

.luke

I'm not really sure how many more there are near me so here's hoping they're not all close minded. But from what I've heard that's not really the case.

I'll just cross all my fingers hoping that the person isn't like that :D
  •  

Arch

A psych who specializes in gender/GID should be able to tell the difference between trans and bipolar, I should think.

One of my best buddies is bipolar and trans. He started his transition about two years ago, and his psychiatrist doesn't seem to have a problem with the trans angle.

Do you have a regular therapist, or are you hoping to start transition through the psychiatrist, or...?
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Troy

.Luke

I've had bipolar for 10 years now and am seeing a gender therapist and psychiatrist who is totally supportive. The big thing for my gender therapist is checking to make sure I'm stable in the psychiatrist's eyes before starting hormones. If your therapist can't differentiate between the two then you need to find a new one.

Hope everything works out

Troy

•  

.luke

Quote from: Arch on May 27, 2011, 01:09:35 PM
A psych who specializes in gender/GID should be able to tell the difference between trans and bipolar, I should think.

One of my best buddies is bipolar and trans. He started his transition about two years ago, and his psychiatrist doesn't seem to have a problem with the trans angle.

Do you have a regular therapist, or are you hoping to start transition through the psychiatrist, or...?

Oh it's good to know at least one psychiatrist thinks the two things can co-exist  :laugh:

I saw a counsellor regularly for a while but not anymore - just a normal psychiatrist once a month or so, not for gender reasons though. I've not booked any appointments with the psychiatrist specializing in gender yet but I'm not too sure whether to bring it up with my normal psychiatrist or just book it by myself.
  •  

.luke

Quote from: TroyRyne on May 27, 2011, 01:18:44 PM
.Luke

I've had bipolar for 10 years now and am seeing a gender therapist and psychiatrist who is totally supportive. The big thing for my gender therapist is checking to make sure I'm stable in the psychiatrist's eyes before starting hormones. If your therapist can't differentiate between the two then you need to find a new one.

Hope everything works out

Troy

that's such a massive relief to hear! I was worrying it was some kind of psychiatric rule that  the two things couldn't exist at the same time or something ridiculous like that

thanks for your reply, man!
:D
  •  

Troy

.Luke,

I'm glad I could help. If you have any other questions regarding the bipolar and GID feel free to email me.

Hope everything works out for you. By the way I'm very close to getting my letter after 8 months of therapy. So just know it takes time but it's possible.

Take care Bud

•  

Adio

I also have bipolar disorder (type I, diagnosed at 17).  Mine is well controlled with medication; I haven't had an episode (except for minor depression related to school) in over a year.  My therapist is a general therapist and she understands that having bipolar disorder is separate from being trans.

That being said, if you are unstable (frequently having either a manic or depressive episode) or off medication (when you should be on it), there might be a delay in starting T.  Unless gender dysphoria is a major trigger which would be improved by T, then your therapist will likely want you to be stable before starting hormones.

If you are stable, then I see no reason why you wouldn't get your letter on "schedule."
  •